i9-9900k
Graphics
Radeon RX 570 4GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all!

Would love to hear your feedback re:GPU's on a 9900k-based Music Production rig. The following parts below are everything I'm heavily considering, the biggest questing mark at this point being GPU's. Video editing is not something I do often, and I get by pretty easily on my 2015 Retina MBP if I ever need to work on some video. For this proposed rig, I would only be using one monitor w/an HDMI, so in my mind, the Integrated Graphics of the CPU would be enough to serve my needs. However, I realize with the specs below that there's the possibility I could create a bottleneck, which would be pretty ignorant of me to do.

In terms of GPU contenders, on the Buyers Guide, I was okay with the idea of buying the $150 XFX Radeon RX 570 8GB. But, I read up on the XFX cards and heard a lot of inconsistent feedback. At this point, the $200 Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 seems like a safe & trusted bet, but I'm bummed I'm spending more than $150 on a part that I know I will not be using that often.

What are your thoughts? Are there cards under $150 that you trust, and see working well given my low amount of video needs? Or should I just suck it up and go with the Sapphire RX580?

PARTS:​
CPUIntel Core i9-9900K
MBGigabyte Z390 Designare
SSDSamsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
RAMKingston Technology HyperX Predator Black 32GB Kit 3000MHz DDR4 CL15
PSUEVGA Supernova 750 G3
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
Storage (Archive)Seagate Barracuda 4TB
CaseCorsair Carbide 270R
DongleApple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (for Universal Audio Apollo audio interface)
WiFi / Bluetooth PCIeWiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Card to PCI-E x1
WiFi / Bluetooth CardPadarsey BCM94360CS2
Internal CoolingArctic F12 (5-Pack) Fans
PWM Fan Splitter Cables2 x Silverstone Technology 1-to-3 PWM Fan Splitter Cable 100 mm
Thermal CoolingInnovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad (30x30)

Thanks for your help and time!

Best,

Devan

This looks awesome! Thanks for the speedy response, can't wait to look into this.

D

I registered an account just to respond to you. I'm building the exact same setup funnily enough. Like, exactly lol.

I just got the 560 today and it does not perform to any real standard. Granted I'm going for low latency realtime music performance and I have the gpu also driving a lyric video on a second monitor. I was using a gtx970 but at 128 sample block I'm not getting the dpc performance I need to have the video window open. Long story short I'm getting a 590 delivered tomorrow and will see how that goes. You may not have the same needs as me regarding video performance during audio production at a low sample block, but I just wanted to let you know that the 560 can barely power a second monitor at low sample blocks. FYI.

I'll let you know how the 590 performs if you're interested.

And obviously, for anyone wondering why we're discussing AMD cards, it's because the dpc latency from the nvidea drivers are off the charts horrible at low sample blocks. The 560 I just installed really improves dpc latency from what the nvidea was doing but overall performance on the 560 was not so hot. Anyway, good luck with your build.

Also, the startech thunderbolt adapter works great.

I registered an account just to respond to you. I'm building the exact same setup funnily enough. Like, exactly lol.

I just got the 560 today and it does not perform to any real standard. Granted I'm going for low latency realtime music performance and I have the gpu also driving a lyric video on a second monitor. I was using a gtx970 but at 128 sample block I'm not getting the dpc performance I need to have the video window open. Long story short I'm getting a 590 delivered tomorrow and will see how that goes. You may not have the same needs as me regarding video performance during audio production at a low sample block, but I just wanted to let you know that the 560 can barely power a second monitor at low sample blocks. FYI.

I'll let you know how the 590 performs if you're interested.

And obviously, for anyone wondering why we're discussing AMD cards, it's because the dpc latency from the nvidea drivers are off the charts horrible at low sample blocks. The 560 I just installed really improves dpc latency from what the nvidea was doing but overall performance on the 560 was not so hot. Anyway, good luck with your build.

Also, the startech thunderbolt adapter works great.

Haha that's pretty awesome. Glad to hear there are similar builds out there. Any snafu's besides the GPU when you built your rig/things I should look out for? Did you overclock your 9900k?

Did you originally get a RX560 2GB or 4GB? I won't be doing any second monitor work, and 99% of the time, my buffer stays on 2048, but thanks for sharing. If I ever need any second monitor work, I'll just plug in the MBP to a secondary display. I'm pretty sold on the Sapphire RX570 4GB, and definitely won't be buying the XFX RX570 8GB. Regardless, would still love to hear how the 590 performs for you.

I'm pretty sold on the Apple dongle because of it being OEM and having a lower price. However, have heard great things about the Startech dongles.

Thanks for making an account just to share! Much appreciated.

Devan

You will be perfectly fine without a dedicated GPU. Plus you can add one anytime, why not try without and make an informed decision later based on your own experience with your new computer?

If you really want a GPU for whatever reason, get the Sapphire RX570 linked above. Great price/performance ratio, silent operation, works OOB. I am using a Sapphire Nitro+ RX570 4GB in my recent music production build for the option to drive two displays at 4K via DP.

You will be perfectly fine without a dedicated GPU. Plus you can add one anytime, why not try without and make an informed decision later based on your own experience with your new computer?

If you really want a GPU for whatever reason, get the Sapphire RX570 linked above. Great price/performance ratio, silent operation, works OOB. I am using a Sapphire Nitro+ RX570 4GB in my recent music production build for the option to drive two displays at 4K via DP.

Sounds good! I was probably too concerned about the 9900K having to take over the display/video side of things, but you're right. Thanks for your thoughts! If I decide I want/need a GPU, the 570 4GB is at the top of the list.

D

You did a great job, nothing has changed in this listening session.
For more music themes and phone ringtones, please refer to the website that provides phone ringtones at: https://klingeltonekostenlos.de/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back