Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a GeForce GTX690 (the one with dual-GPUs) and it's driving my 4K monitor at 60Hz just fine.

It's also providing some serious FCPX acceleration.

(and no sleep/wake issues, or early video issues)

Can you do BruceX test and share the results here?

i'm in a similar boat. Bought a used 280x but one fan isnt working and the other one is about to go.. looks like an abused card. need to just send it back...

Do you guys know if theres a difference between the 2 fan r9-280x from sapphire (what i have now) and the 3 fan model Vapor X? or The orange Toxic also with 3 fans.. Do they all appear the same to OSX Sierra if they are all sapphire r9-280x's?

thanks for the help!

My BruceX Avg. in Sierra with Rig below was 18.4sec

Dual 280x Sapphire Tri-Force.

Its going around $140-160 used on eBay.

yea that one.. so does that mean that any card from the following page for example will work plug and play with my current r9-280x setup..aka. works out of the box?
http://www.sapphiretech.com/catapage_pd.asp?cataid=74&lang=eng

thanks!

I don't know about any, but when I was building a Hackintosh for a relative who uses FCPX, I researched and people on FCPX forums said this was the best card to use for FCPX and they got the best results with the BruceX test. Apparently getting a higher end card in the AMD line will provide slower performance.

Also this exact card works OOB without any kexts and you see the load screen and clover.

FCPX uses OpenCL and Apple designed it to work with only a small amount of cards really well. So the older cards work better.

There's a new version of FCPX out (10.3) and it should have the Polaris line in for accelerations, but I don't think anyone has tried it yet.

Do you guys know if theres a difference between the 2 fan r9-280x from sapphire (what i have now) and the 3 fan model Vapor X? or The orange Toxic also with 3 fans.. Do they all appear the same to OSX Sierra if they are all sapphire r9-280x's?

From what I understand, you'll want to find a 280x with the reference layout for OOB support. It should have 2x mDP.

I've had three of these cards, all different brands, and each booted fine.

Hi there, I specifically stayed out of the Graphics "rat-race" until the appearance of A) Sierra and B) The AMD RX 460 (Gigabyte 4gb version), which has virtually OOB support in Sierra.

I have had good results with this combination and FCP X (the whole reason for my HACK) and the cards are less money than buying an R9 280 which i still find hard to beleive. I too have 4K monitor but wanted to edit in 4K too.

I have 23 seconds in Bruce X test

I am enthused by the apparent support of "Vega 10" chipset code that has appeared in the latest Sierra builds, which is appearing in the upcoming RX 490. This would allow me to skip the 470's and 480's (with limited support and success) and perhaps be able to use a real top-end card for FCP X at long last?

Also if this does all materialise, with having a fairly new card like the RX 460, I would have no problem selling the card without losing much cash but may not get the same result buying a 4 year old R9 280. This is just my thoughts on an FCP X build.

For anyone reading this, I am still a real newcomer to the Hackingtosh world, so don't criticise me too harshly if what i am saying is wrong, but hopefully this is a plan that i may be able to follow after reading many, many a page here on tonymacx86!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back