Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> GPU for 4K editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am a video editor myself. try converting the GoPro footage to Apple prores. It will be larger files, but will run much smoother. Most CPU’s don’t like h264 or h265 directly. I have the same problem with a bit more pro build. Changing codecs will help. But also advice you to update to a 8 core CPU with 32gb of ddr. Also the editing harddrive could bottleneck your performance, try using a fast drive like a ssd or usb 3.1 external disk (if you even have those USB’s on your build).
Thanks for the input mate, the thing is 4K footages from my drone and canon mirrorless is working fine, only the gopro footage is causing problem.... maybe because of the HEVC and h.265

BTW don't have enough money to get a new CPU right now, because for that I need to get a new board also.... May be I'll do that next year... So right now I'm gonna upgrade the GPU only and I'll do the editing work on my SSD only. My board don't have USB 3.1

Thanks for the input mate, the thing is 4K footages from my drone and canon mirrorless is working fine, only the gopro footage is causing problem.... maybe because of the HEVC and h.265

BTW don't have enough money to get a new CPU right now, because for that I need to get a new board also.... May be I'll do that next year... So right now I'm gonna upgrade the GPU only and I'll do the editing work on my SSD only. My board don't have USB 3.1

ok. Can imagine, it’s always a lot of money to upgrade (meaning to buy new mobo, gpu and probably ram aswell). for the hevc I would suggest trying prores Conversion for now and perhaps the new gpu will do the trick. :) saved me when I had to edit a complete 4K documentary on my old MacBook Pro of 2008!!

ok. Can imagine, it’s always a lot of money to upgrade (meaning to buy new mobo, gpu and probably ram aswell). for the hevc I would suggest trying prores Conversion for now and perhaps the new gpu will do the trick. :) saved me when I had to edit a complete 4K documentary on my old MacBook Pro of 2008!!

With the new DGPU the should be able to deal with the HEVC and H.265 on the DGPU for hardware encoding/decoding rather than via the IGPU. For what they are used to dealing with the DGPU upgrade will be huge.

AMD RX 580 8GB, AMD RX Vega 56/64, AMD Vega VII, AMD RX 5700/XT

All these cards should work for 4k Video editing with sound. However, I would say that you are bottle necked by your CPU as much as your GPU, and maybe even your memory. If your trying to edit video with an Nvida card in Mojave then no wonder you are having issues since you have no acceleration. People do not always look in the buying advice forums.

4K video playback is still not smooth with this RX 580 8GB GPU .... :(

Is there anything that I'm missing....??

4K video playback is still not smooth with this RX 580 8GB GPU .... :(

Is there anything that I'm missing....??

Not sure playback should be fairly easy for even a 4xx card (last gen) how manny FPS are trying to push? Do you have the IGPU enabled? Maybe MacOS is trying to use the IGPU for encoding/decoding. Try disabling IGPU in bios and changing to Mac Pro 1,1 see if that help.

Not sure playback should be fairly easy for even a 4xx card (last gen) how manny FPS are trying to push? Do you have the IGPU enabled? Maybe MacOS is trying to use the IGPU for encoding/decoding. Try disabling IGPU in bios and changing to Mac Pro 1,1 see if that help.

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 1
Codec ID : mp41 (mp41)
File size : 464 MiB
Duration : 1mn 4s
Overall bit rate : 60.2 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2019-07-21 19:03:47
Tagged date : UTC 2019-07-21 19:03:47

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : [email protected]@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate : 59.9 Mbps
Width : 2 704 pixels
Height : 1 520 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 119.880 (120000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.122
Stream size : 462 MiB (100%)
Title : GoPro H.265
Language : English
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : hvcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 48.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 46.875 fps (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.46 MiB (0%)
Title : GoPro AAC
Language : English

Other #1
Type : meta
Bit rate mode : Variable

Other #2
Type : meta
Bit rate mode : Variable
mdhd_Duration : 64623

2.7K video with 120FPS and tried with IGPU disabled too... But still not working. :(

I tried Changing to Macpro1,1 but it showed me error

This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!

So I tried iMacPro1,1 , System booted with that ,but it also didn't worked for that file..... :(

Last edited:
So I tried iMacPro1,1 , System booted with that ,but it also didn't worked for that file..... :(

This is what I wanted you to use I guess I missed the "I" in iMac Pro 1,1 when typing. You can try the iMac Pro SM with the dummy kext. Maybe your CPU and memory is not enough to handle and the video card is not capable of making up the difference. I am not sure why you are having uses with play back you should be ok on the playback front.

Attachments

• dummy141.kext.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 57
This is what I wanted you to use I guess I missed the "I" in iMac Pro 1,1 when typing. You can try the iMac Pro SM with the dummy kext. Maybe your CPU and memory is not enough to handle and the video card is not capable of making up the difference. I am not sure why you are having uses with play back you should be ok on the playback front.

Tried the dummy141 kext too, at first it rebooted 2 times, then it booted to desktop but the video playback is still lagging. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back