Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> GPU for 4K editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that there are issues with the RX 590 bios and MacOS or at least there were. Get the 580 save yourself some headaches. As for your CPU

any cpu that fits it should work. so 8th/9th gen cpu. z370 needs a flashed bios to support 9th gen.

This chip is ultra cheap:

In that case I'll get the RX 580... :)

But the CPU you suggested is a LGA 1151 and my mobo is 1155 :(

In that case I'll get the RX 580... :)

But the CPU you suggested is a LGA 1151 and my mobo is 1155 :(

Sorry I was kind of confused I did a search for 55 but I guess it gave me 51 I just assumed you got a board or something.

after further review you look like you have one of the better processors from that generation. You would be better off saving your money and building a new system with that I3 I linked for $89.

Last edited:
Sorry I was kind of confused I did a search for 55 but I guess it gave me 51 I just assumed you got a board or something.

after further review you look like you have one of the better processors from that generation. You would be better off saving your money and building a new system with that I3 I linked for $89.
In that case I'll be needing a MOBO too, but now I can't afford that, So right now I'll stick with the same rig and just change the GPU, So atleast mojave can work. Later in a few months I will think about the new Rig.

Thanks again man.... :)

What's your editor?
I don't know what you mean by the editor, If you want to know the editing software, then its both FCP and After Effects.

Yep, that's what I meant by editor.
FWIW, My rig is working awesome for FCPX. It really tears through the background renders, etc., and it has a lot to do with the RX-580; but I have no idea if the RX-580 would play well with AE. Anyway, the CPU would pick up any slack.
I also don't know if having a NVIDIA alongside the AMD would work as a compute card. Depends on the OS for the driver, etc. Good luck.

Yep, that's what I meant by editor.
FWIW, My rig is working awesome for FCPX. It really tears through the background renders, etc., and it has a lot to do with the RX-580; but I have no idea if the RX-580 would play well with AE. Anyway, the CPU would pick up any slack.
I also don't know if having a NVIDIA alongside the AMD would work as a compute card. Depends on the OS for the driver, etc. Good luck.

Thanks man...!!

I'll update once I get the card.

Its not the video card your looking for. Your issue will be the CPUs and HDs.

YOU NEED POWER for 4k. I would go with a Vega56, hence it works natively with Catalina.

as for CPU... Get one of those Supermicro X8,X9 or X10 Motherboards and slap on a pair of those XEONS... Buy a

Highpoint Raid 2720 SGL controller, (also supported natively and its cheap and works with Catalina), 5 SSDS in RAID0 if you are using X8 mb, 8 or higher SSDs X9 or X10 (they have higher bus bandwidth), I recommend NVME for X10 if you have the money.

Memory, as mush as you can afford.

Good luck.

Hello,

I plan to edit 4K videos shot with GoPro Camera, but the problem is my current GPU doesn't support them. When I play them their audio is not synced and video also jerks while playing.

I want a GPU that can run at least 2 monitors on Catalina and Windows.

any recommendations are really appreciated.

Please find below the mediainfo of the GoPro 4K file.

My Setup >>> OS : Mojave (10.14.5) | MOBO : GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | CPU : Core i7 3770K | GPU : Geforce GTX 650 TI Boost 2GB (Not Supported) | PSU : Corsair GS700

Thank You.

Its not the video card your looking for. Your issue will be the CPUs and HDs.

YOU NEED POWER for 4k. I would go with a Vega56, hence it works natively with Catalina.

as for CPU... Get one of those Supermicro X8,X9 or X10 Motherboards and slap on a pair of those XEONS... Buy a

Highpoint Raid 2720 SGL controller, (also supported natively and its cheap and works with Catalina), 5 SSDS in RAID0 if you are using X8 mb, 8 or higher SSDs X9 or X10 (they have higher bus bandwidth), I recommend NVME for X10 if you have the money.

Memory, as mush as you can afford.

Good luck.
A video card is all dude has the funds for.

Hey, I am a video editor myself. try converting the GoPro footage to Apple prores. It will be larger files, but will run much smoother. Most CPU’s don’t like h264 or h265 directly. I have the same problem with a bit more pro build. Changing codecs will help. But also advice you to update to a 8 core CPU with 32gb of ddr. Also the editing harddrive could bottleneck your performance, try using a fast drive like a ssd or usb 3.1 external disk (if you even have those USB’s on your build).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back