Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z270 Tuf Mark 1
CPU
Skylake i7 6700k
Graphics
Asus Strix GTX 1080 ti OC edition
Building a G5 conversion, moving my i7 6700k / GTX 970 build from an ITX case to a converted G5 case. Picked up a new ATX board and moving the cpu/gpu/sotrage to the G5 case and switching to an AIO cpu cooler. The problem is now that the GPU is mounted upside down from its old orientation, the GPU fan makes an awful grinding noise that is unbearable.

I took the card out, there are no obstructions and the fan is silent when it spins in the normal "fan down" orientation, or if its upright vertical. But mounted in the G5 case the fan is facing up and I guess gravity pulls it down into the heatsink or something and it is just really obnoxiously loud

anyone had a similar issue? I am going to upgrade to a GTX 1080 ti but I'm terribly worried it will have the same problem. The current card I have is the Asus GTX 970 DirectCU mini :

UBrJUw5.jpg

It might not be the easiest or the cheapest solution but you could always watercool the 1080.

for now I have the case sitting on its side so I can at least use the computer without the ridiculous noise from the 970 fan. The strix 1080ti arrives next week, hopefully it won't have the same problem. if so I'll either resign myself to running the computer horizontally or do water cooling

With all the people here modding G5 cases and nobody telling a problem with a noise like what you experienced. I would be confident to buy another card. you could also try to disassemble the 970, it's possible you have some small debris from dust trapped in there?

well I've upgraded to a Strix 1080 ti OC and it does not have any strange noises coming from the fans while running in the G5 case, so that's good

bit random but any chance of a picture of the card in the case? i was going to use a strix for my build but im thinking it will be to long

bit embarrassed to post a pic, as my attempt at a G5 mod is pretty fugly imo compared to some of the beautiful mods I've seen here. nevertheless here's one. cable management is a 'work in progress' =P

to answer your question, this case swallows up the strix 1080ti with ample room to spare, even with a 280mm radiator up front

EPsKucx.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back