Contribute
Register

GPU - 980 Ti Full Speed Fan Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've tried to get my 980 Ti to work correctly but sadly the one thing that is a problem still, is fan control.

Weirdly if I remove all aspects of fan control (The FakeSMC Plugins kexts, plugins,etc) I'll reboot, things still boot... But the fan speeds and card temps are read correctly in hwmonitor, but weirdly my driver doesn't enable and everything's terrible, so back on the FakeSMC kexts go and we're back in business, except the fan is at 100%.

No matter what I try, the fan will maintain 100% It's extremely loud.

Sometimes the computer will sleep, and when it wakes the fan doesn't spin at all. This has sometimes caused crashes because the GPU overheats.

i7-6700k
Asus Z170-AR
32GB Ram
Zotak 980 Ti Amp! Extreme

Cheers all!

This is how it should be setup:

• FakeSMC.kext installed with no plugins. HWmonitor isn't accurate anyways.
  • Nvidia web driver installed with NvidiaWeb set to true in your config
  • Inject/Nvidia set to false

Note: the fans shouldn't spin at all when the card is under 55-60C.

This is how it should be setup:

• FakeSMC.kext installed with no plugins. HWmonitor isn't accurate anyways.
  • Nvidia web driver installed with NvidiaWeb set to true in your config
  • Inject/Nvidia set to false

Note: the fans shouldn't spin at all when the card is under 55-60C.

This is sadly how it currently is set up...

I've noticed with a fairly consistent resolve that if I unplug/power down the computer entirely and then kick it back into action, HWMonitor will report correct fan speed percentage (not RPM though). And it'll ramp as it should.

This isn't a permanent fix however.

Is there an importance potentially to re-installing all of this in a particular order?

Thanks slimjim!

I changed hard drives today and installed the latest version of clover on the new drive and I'm too seeing this issue. I have a GTX 970.

Previously I had r3793, so I though maybe there's been some change between the latest version and the one I had. Closest version I could find to the one I had is r3811, putting the same kexts I had and it's still the same.

When booting with OS X Drivers I'm not seeing this issue. A window pops up asking me to update CUDA drivers, even though there is no update. Choosing the Nvidia drivers again causes the issue to reappear.

Last edited:
Tried coping all the files from my old EFI partition to the new EFI partition, reinstalling Nvidia drivers. Still the same.

Only difference between my old setup and my new is that instead of having an SSD boot drive with the EFI partition, now I have an SSD software raid and the EFI partition is installed in another hard drive.

SSD (EFI, macOS) + HD -> SSD Raid (macOS) + HD (EFI)

Tried updating to the latest macOS build (10.12.1 16B2657), latest Nvidia driver 367.15.10.15f03 without luck.

I'm having this same issue. Anyone have a clue how to address this?

Make sure you don't have a bunch of unnecessary kext installed. Especially anything graphics related.

I don't, in fact when I read this thread, I got rid of the FakeSMC plugins.

How can I check for extras in a more thorough way? I've done nothing but the basic MultiBeast install.

Edit: I just looked at my EFI partition... I have no kexts at all.

I still have this issue. I have the FakeSMC and some sensor kexsts, plus audio and LAN kexts.

I'm having this same issue. Anyone have a clue how to address this?

How is your setup in regard to hard drives? Do you have one HD, SSD+HD...? As I said above, this started happening when I made a SSD Raid 0 boot drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back