Contribute
Register

GPT Partition Error When Installing Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got my USB Windows 10 installer working, but I can't get past the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen. I get this error message after selecting any drive:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted NTFS.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is of an unrecognized type.

I created my bootable USB using a program called Rufus on another Windows computer. I was sure to format my USB drive to NTFS

Rufus does not always work. Use procedure at http://www.intowindows.com/create-uefi-bootable-usb-of-windows-10/ to create your USB.
Suggest you disconnect all drives in your PC except the one you are installing Win10 on.
When asked where you want to install Win10, select the drive and click on the advanced tab.
Select each partition on the drive in the top pane and select delete until all partitions are deleted.
click on new volume, click on format, click on continue and install Win10.

Alright, so I made some progress today in my journey to get Windows 10 on my PC. I managed to format the drive I intend to install Windows onto as NTFS through a new piece of software I found here:

http://www.seagate.com/support/exte...p-plus-desk/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

It's actually really useful. The best thing about it is that it just works. I booted into the Windows 10 installer from my USB drive (I still haven't used the method you guys showed me to get my USB bootable; however, I will attempt it after I write this post). After trying to select my desired drive to install Windows, I do not get the NTFS partition error I was experiencing before. Instead, I only get the GPT Partition error that I originally had. Keep in mind, this only happens when I boot into the UEFI version of my USB installer. I cannot boot into the legacy (correct me if I'm wrong) mode. It simply ignores my request and boots into Yosemite as if I didn't change anything.

I think using the method you guys suggested me to use will fix my problem because I have been able to boot into the legacy USB installer before. I think I am on the verge of fixing this. :)

Okay, so I made even more progress from installing windows 10 the way you guys told me to and I managed to make my drive compatible with the windows setup with no errors (YES!!!). However, I am not out of the woods yet. Here is the error I get when I install press "next" after choosing my install location:

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

Anyone know what this could be from?:crazy:

If you use the Into Windows link I gave you and then use this link http://www.intowindows.com/install-windows-10-from-usb-drive/ you will be able to install Win10 with no problems.

Use the links I gave you for an easy installation. The first link even had a procedure for using Rufus if you would rather use a 3rd party app rather than the one provided by Microsoft built especially for creating the Windows install USB.

You can go and search and find other ways to format your drive and create a USB installer if you want, but I am done.

Good luck.

UPDATE: I tried to get rid of the error I experienced in my previous post by following the guild found here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2012/03/06/error-quot-we-couldn-t-create-a-new-partition-or-locate-an-existing-one-for-more-information-see-the-setup-log-files-quot-when-you-try-to-install-windows-8-cp.aspx

No luck using this method. I will now attempt to remove as many drives as I can from my rig as well as USB ports either in the bios or by simply unplugging them. Wish me luck...

I reply this time with good news. I have successfully made it past the "We couldn't create a new partition bla bla bla..." error; however, I have another problem (I know right!).

After the setup completes and the computer restarts, I get a black screen with a blinking curser. I tired installing Windows twice and had the same problem. (I actually though I broke my Hackintosh because I couldn't get it to boot when I set my boot drive to first). Any ideas on how to fix THIS problem?

By the way, I managed to get windows to install by putting the hard drive that I intended to boot from first in my boot priority list in my motherboard's bios. I thought the USB had to be first but I was wrong.

EDIT: I figured out what the problem was. I have booted into Windows 10 successfully. I just needed to make my hard drive the first drive to boot from in my bios. I had it all the way at the end. I'm currently writing this on Windows 10. Thanks for your help!

Had the same issue. Go to your bios and do this:

• Boot Mode Selection: UEFI Only

I had UEFI and other.

I'm running into similar issues, I chose UEFI only in my settings but I can't seem to install. I am not certain if I'm missing out on any other settings.

I created a bootable Windows on USB using Rufus, and chose GPT as the partition scheme, I have always reformatted the Disk, and chose GUID. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm running into similar issues, I chose UEFI only in my settings but I can't seem to install. I am not certain if I'm missing out on any other settings.

I created a bootable Windows on USB using Rufus, and chose GPT as the partition scheme, I have always reformatted the Disk, and chose GUID. Does anyone have any ideas?

Use the Windows media creation tool - Rufus sometimes only loads the BIOS/MBR installation files to the USB.

Alternative Fix if having access to an existing Windows install (also on Parallels for example) and a HDD to USB adapter cable.

Please make sure you do this on the right disk! If in doubt, best remove your hackintosh drive and do these operations from a Bootable USB Drive with OSX on it and use the disk utilities that appear in the menu bar after selecting your language!

So, turn on your hackintosh with the future Windows Drive inside. Format the Windows-to-be-drive to be using Disk Utilities with settings Extended Journaled / GUID. Reestart the machine with the Windows DVD /USB stick, proceed to the installation. Once you try to start the install and get the GTP error, cancel the install and shut down the computer. Unplug the windows drive and connect it to your other machine that has a pre-existing Windows install. Open Disk Management and look for the drive. You will find a new EFI Volume and some empty space which should be pretty much the rest of the drive size. Delete any extra partitions that might have been created on the drive, EXCEPT for the EFI partition (from my Windows 10 Install it made a roughly 200 MB Windows EFI volume). Now format all the remaining drive space of this drive in NTFS format (should be the default). Note that it will already look like NTFS, but you still need to reformat it! Eject the drive when finished, reinsert it in the Hackintosh and boot with the Windows installer inserted. Now you should have no more error messages, it will accept the available NTFS drive.

Hope that helps someone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back