EVGA GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

So I got my USB Windows 10 installer working, but I can't get past the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen. I get this error message after selecting any drive:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted NTFS.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is of an unrecognized type.

I created my bootable USB using a program called Rufus on another Windows computer. I was sure to format my USB drive to NTFS so I have no idea why that error message is popping up. Any help is much appreciated. :)

Hello,

So I got my USB Windows 10 installer working, but I can't get past the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen. I get this error message after selecting any drive:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted NTFS.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is of an unrecognized type.

I created my bootable USB using a program called Rufus on another Windows computer. I was sure to format my USB drive to NTFS so I have no idea why that error message is popping up. Any help is much appreciated. :)

I'm not sure if this will help you but I actually had an issue myself installing Windows10 from a USB drive. I was only able to install it as UEFI, and not as legacy BIOS. Thus, I wasn't able to boot it with Chimera bootloader. I was advised to use this method to create my USB install drive:

http://www.intowindows.com/install-w...rom-usb-drive/

I then formatted the target Win10 drive in OS X using disk utility to MS-DOS FAT. The system was already a dual boot with Win8 so I then formatted the target Wind10 drive as NTFS in Win8. I was then able to install Win10 in legacy mode so I could access it using the Chimera bootloader.

Perhaps trying the above method might help with your problem?

Hope that helps.

Didn't work. I tried formatting the drive as FAT32 and NTFS and neither solved my problem. FAT32, when I selected UEFI, told me I needed to format my drive as NTFS and formatting the drive as NTFS didn't allow me to select UEFI. I tried installing non-UEFI and it Told me I couldn't install because I had GPT partition style.

EDIT: I didn't do the last part of what you told me to do in Mac OS X. How do I format the drive in MS-DOS FAT?

Didn't work. I tried formatting the drive as FAT32 and NTFS and neither solved my problem. FAT32, when I selected UEFI, told me I needed to format my drive as NTFS and formatting the drive as NTFS didn't allow me to select UEFI. I tried installing non-UEFI and it Told me I couldn't install because I had GPT partition style.

EDIT: I didn't do the last part of what you told me to do in Mac OS X. How do I format the drive in MS-DOS FAT?
Are you trying to install Win10 on the same drive as an existing OS X install?
See http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html with some of the problems with doing that - Win10 same as Win8 for install purposes

Also see the install Windows UEFI part of http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...-install-yosemite-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html - works same for desktops with a little tweaking - again, Win10 installs same as Win8.

I used disk utility in OS X to partition as MS-DOS FAT. See attached image for reference.

Attachments

• Disk Utility.png
    Disk Utility.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,353
I am trying to install windows 10 on an empty 2.5in hard drive I have in my computer. Here is what I formatted that drive to:

b1b3695a199cd8d89011e12933cb8de6.png

I tried booting from my USB flash drive (UEFI) and was able to get to the installer as I had been able to before. I didn't have any success trying to install Windows 10 onto the hard drive (shown to be formatted to MS-DOS fat). I can't boot from the non UEFI version of my USB installer. It just boots up Yosemite and basically ignores it even if I set it as the first option to boot from in my motherboard's bios. Who knew Windows would be harder to install then Mac OS X was on my PC? :thumbdown:

EDIT: I tried to erase my hard drive and set it so MS-DOS (fat) and still had no luck.

You should be able to hit F12 when powering up the system to go into the boot selection menu where you should be able to select your USB drive.

Did you create the USB installer with the instructions from the earlier link?

After formatting the target drive to MS-DOS FAT in OS X did you then format it as NTSF in Windows?

Actually, now that i think about it, I didn't use the instructions you told my to use... I ended up accidentally deleting it form my USB and using a different ISO to boot from. Also, the hard drive that I intend to use to install Windows onto is in my PC. So do I need to physically need to open up my case, take my drive out, and put it into a Windows machine? Then format it to NTFS?

The instructions provided were using a windows machine to create your USB drive. Do you have a windows machine available to re-create the USB using the earlier instructions?

Well even if I'm not an expert i' have install many times Win 98, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7 , 8 and 10 and, I now use only Linux, but will be building hackingtosh soon...

If you can use an external or internal DVD drive it would be better, using USB is OK also but you must take into account other variables and thus a bit harder...

The size of the USB drive

Booting from a USB and not CD Drive

You say
must be installed to a partition formatted NTFS...........So partition your HDD to that

You say
is of the GPT partition style.................So have not be of that style

Windows must be installed to a partition formatted NTFS.........Try using a partition manager to format it and create a new partition as NTFS, just choose the USB and not your hardrive (backup everyting=REMEMBER)

many free partition manegers available
Gparted for windows may be available
Linux live Cd can help
and
Please forgive me I'm not good in the written side
English to me is a second language...

So I' hope I've helped a little.

PS If I misunderstood the problem and you are trying to dual boot installations of Win and Mac on Mac Hardware. then I can't help YET....sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back