Contribute
Register

GPD Pocket 2 Battery status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: I have removed the ZIP file from my post here as I just finished setting up a Github repo with these files. Hopefully this way we can keep the configuration up-to-date and make it easier for others to find the recent-most version too, without having many older or broken ones floating around. I'll happily accept pull requests for changes that fix currently missing features (ie. sleep mode seems to not yet work)!

Link to Github repo: https://github.com/hellodeibu/gpd-pocket2-hackintosh

Rest of my original message follows:

Thanks so much! I tweaked the config file a bit, updated all kexts that had updates, deleted ones that I think are unnecessary and swapped FakeSMC for VirtualSMC. I also removed verbose boot mode and a few other minor tweaks. I also added NullEthernet.kext so that you should be able to get the App Store working even if you're not using a USB ethernet/wifi card (e.g. when bluetooth/usb tethering from your iPhone). I haven't tested everything yet, but I wanted to share this so that others can try and continue working on this as-well.

To use my version, be sure to use Clover Configurator to first set a UUID under System Parameters, as-well as a serial number and board serial number under SMBIOS, as I blanked those out when exporting.

What is working:
- Hardware acceleration
- Correct screen orientation (hold down cmd+option when opening System Preferences, keep holding them down as you click on Displays, and you'll get the rotation option. Set it to 270 degrees)
- built-in speakers
- Bluetooth (although it seems to sporadically disappear for a bit?)
- HiDPI mode (if you use the command fnanao shared previously)

What is not working:
- Microphone (I think the wrong layout is set for this)
- Touch screen
- eMMC built-in storage, use a USB SSD/drive or a microSD card (the built-in slot is bootable, fortunately).

If you want to try his ZIP, you should open the config file using Clover Configurator and under System Parameters, change Inject Kexts to Detect. I am not sure why it was set to `No`, but that results in a kernel panic at boot. I made these changes already in my version.

Thanks so much!!!!! This worked out great!!

@fnanao Thanks for the work!!! Are you the person that I shared my EFI with on another site? I had spent about 6 months working on the GPD P2 yet gave up a few months ago. I had come so very close but didn't have the time to finish it off.

Edit: I have removed the ZIP file from my post here as I just finished setting up a Github repo with these files. Hopefully this way we can keep the configuration up-to-date and make it easier for others to find the recent-most version too, without having many older or broken ones floating around. I'll happily accept pull requests for changes that fix currently missing features (ie. sleep mode seems to not yet work)!

Link to Github repo: https://github.com/hellodeibu/gpd-pocket2-hackintosh

Rest of my original message follows:

Thanks so much! I tweaked the config file a bit, updated all kexts that had updates, deleted ones that I think are unnecessary and swapped FakeSMC for VirtualSMC. I also removed verbose boot mode and a few other minor tweaks. I also added NullEthernet.kext so that you should be able to get the App Store working even if you're not using a USB ethernet/wifi card (e.g. when bluetooth/usb tethering from your iPhone). I haven't tested everything yet, but I wanted to share this so that others can try and continue working on this as-well.

To use my version, be sure to use Clover Configurator to first set a UUID under System Parameters, as-well as a serial number and board serial number under SMBIOS, as I blanked those out when exporting.

What is working:
- Hardware acceleration
- Correct screen orientation (hold down cmd+option when opening System Preferences, keep holding them down as you click on Displays, and you'll get the rotation option. Set it to 270 degrees)
- built-in speakers
- Bluetooth (although it seems to sporadically disappear for a bit?)
- HiDPI mode (if you use the command fnanao shared previously)

What is not working:
- Microphone (I think the wrong layout is set for this)
- Touch screen
- eMMC built-in storage, use a USB SSD/drive or a microSD card (the built-in slot is bootable, fortunately).

If you want to try his ZIP, you should open the config file using Clover Configurator and under System Parameters, change Inject Kexts to Detect. I am not sure why it was set to `No`, but that results in a kernel panic at boot. I made these changes already in my version.
Hello, @hellodeibu! I've tried your EFI folder and it works amazingly well . But the only thing that bothers me is the battery life. On macOS my gpd p2 drains almost twice faster than on windows, utmost 2 hours versus 3-4 hours on windows. How's your battery life, and could you help me with some ideas about how to improve the battery life? Thanks! And here attached is the outpupt of intel power gadet.

Attachments

• 屏幕快照 2019-07-28 下午5.18.58.png
    屏幕快照 2019-07-28 下午5.18.58.png
    158 KB · Views: 123
Hello, @hellodeibu! I've tried your EFI folder and it works amazingly well . But the only thing that bothers me is the battery life. On macOS my gpd p2 drains almost twice faster than on windows, utmost 2 hours versus 3-4 hours on windows. How's your battery life, and could you help me with some ideas about how to improve the battery life? Thanks! And here attached is the outpupt of intel power gadet.

The same here. My battery using macOS have 2 hours until die. I believe it is something in the battery dsdt that needs to be adjusted.

I started using "Turbo Boost Switcher" a few days ago and started getting a little over 3 hours of usage on one charge but yes, I think there is much improvement to be made on the power management. Something I know very little about regarding DTST. We might be about another 6 months away from a fully functional working system. I wish there were more Pocket 2 owners within the community that know much more than I.

The same here. My battery using macOS have 2 hours until die. I believe it is something in the battery dsdt that needs to be adjusted.
@fnanao. Thanks for reminding. I am a noob in hackintosh. Actually this is my first time and it takes quite a long time for me to succeed to install hackintosh on my gpd p2. I am so happy to have such a tiny "macbook" that I can take it anywhere with me. But the the battery life quite bothers me. I have to take my charger wherever I go. I am following this blog https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-patch-dsdt-for-working-battery-status.116102/ to see if any changes can be made. It will be great if you can share your progress with me. Thank you!

I started using "Turbo Boost Switcher" a few days ago and started getting a little over 3 hours of usage on one charge but yes, I think there is much improvement to be made on the power management. Something I know very little about regarding DTST. We might be about another 6 months away from a fully functional working system. I wish there were more Pocket 2 owners within the community that know much more than I.
@synthetikspace. Thanks for sharing! Thank god the battery life did improve a lot!!! I'm sorry that I can't help much more.

Last edited:
This might seem like a stupid question but is there a reason why you used SMCBatteryManager.kext instead of ACPIBatteryManager.kext ? Could this be the reason why our batteries are draining the way that they are?

This might seem like a stupid question but is there a reason why you used SMCBatteryManager.kext instead of ACPIBatteryManager.kext ? Could this be the reason why our batteries are draining the way that they are?

I checked the DSDT and power management and it is well configured. I honestly don't know where the battery problem is about half the time compared to windows.
The reason for using SMCBattery (in theory) is because it was the only way I found the system to identify battery status along with DSDT. With APCI the system did not recognize the battery, only the charger.

On macOS my gpd p2 drains almost twice faster than on windows, utmost 2 hours versus 3-4 hours on windows.

@jasonperhaps,

You will never see similar battery life to Windows when running MacOS on non Apple Hardware.

MacOS Power management features are optimised for Apple Hardware and firmware, the best that we can do is to ensure we have native Intel CPU power management enabled and disable any unused devices that may draw power even though they are not used in MacOS.

The same is true for PC Laptops running MacOS, on My HP Spectre X360 laptop I get around 5-6 hours in MacOS where as in Windows 10 it will run for 11-12 hours depending upon use.

PC Hardware is optimised for Windows and Linux not MacOS, it's just one of the compromises you have to make if you decide to run MacOS on non Apple hardware.

Cheers
Jay

@fnanao @synthetikspace @hellodeibu i think i remember u guys from over in the other forum but im writing this message for anyone willing to work with me so definitely dont want to exclude anyone who contributed to getting this working or has the heart and head to help...first of all congratulations for finally fixing this but i think us one mix 2 owners (probably 3 as well) are gonna need a few changes to be made some where although i have switched so much stuff around on my system that it may only need a fresh install (which i admit i shouldve attempted before posting probably). With that said im hoping theres only 1 or 2 tiny alterations that need to be implemented and yes i understand that u guys dont have the same system (although im almost 97 percent certain we were suffering from the same issue)...so any info or assistance as to possible differences/potential places to look for problems first would really be appreciated and as im sure this will apply to the other little laptops with the same chipset(chuwi minibook, topjoy 2 etc) their future users will be thankful as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back