Intel Core i7-6700K
Graphics
Asus ROG Strix 1070 OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

I've been looking into building my own Hackintosh for about the last month and I was wondering if it's a good idea to build one now or should I hold off and see how compatible new technology will be with macOS.

If possible I'd like to include NVMe SSDs, Intel 7th Gen, Pascal or Vega GPUs, what do you guys think? Go with the tried and true or hold out?

Hey all,

I've been looking into building my own Hackintosh for about the last month and I was wondering if it's a good idea to build one now or should I hold off and see how compatible new technology will be with macOS.

If possible I'd like to include NVMe SSDs, Intel 7th Gen, Pascal or Vega GPUs, what do you guys think? Go with the tried and true or hold out?

If you're a patient man I would wait. Pascal and Kaby aren't out yet, but you can bet yourself just like Skylake, they'll be ready for hackintoshing action within this year. If you can't bear the unthinkable: waiting in life, then I'd go with Skylake hardware and a 900 card.

Go with the tried and tested unless you want to experiment for a good few months. NVMe SSDs can work but there are issues - they do not have mainstream support - updating macOS can be problematic.
Intel 7th gen can be made to work but the boards do have incompatible audio and ethernet is an issue at present. Pascal may never work. Vega may never work. Either of these graphics technologies can be added when there is support. If you want the bleeding edge technology running on an operating system that does not support it then expect problems...it goes with the territory.

That said the community would value additional feedback to those who tirelessly toil through these problems to allow others to have future working machines.

Can I point out that we still do not have much AMD support for many cards manufactured after the R9 280X. nVidia drivers support 900 series and are quite mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back