1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all.

I have built my first Hackintosh. As a Noob, I just bought a cheap GPU, the GTX1050 with 2GB DDR5.

Everything was going well, until I drop in a new 4K display and fired up Photoshop and started working on large files.

My whole system was so slow, it was unusable. I finally worked out that PhotoShop will use the, once I turn this off, I could work again.

So it would seem the GTX1050 simply isn't up to the job.

Does anyone here use Photoshop and Illustrator, do they have any recommendation for a good solid GPU? I have no intensions of gaming, or video editing.

Thanks

I would consider switching to an AMD GPU, start looking at an RX560 4GB from Sapphire or ASUS. I have one and it drove a 28' 4K monitor no problem, it can support up to three monitors.

Thanks for the fast response! Why AMD over Nvidia? I thought that Nvidia had much better GPUs?

Also do you use Photoshop? The GTX1050 can run 4 displays and has no issues running 4K, its only once Photoshop start using it that the thing slows to a crawl.

Thanks for the fast response! Why AMD over Nvidia? I thought that Nvidia had much better GPUs?

Apple uses AMD graphics cards in recent Macs so it is natural to assume MacOS works better with AMD graphics cards. However, until recently using AMD graphics cards on hackintosh machines were fraught with issues like boot to black screen and sleep/wake. With the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts and then the latest versions of Clover with RadeonDeInit these issues have been largely resolved.

Of course, the problem with using AMD graphics cards now is their high prices and lack of availability due to cryptocurrency mining.

I have found that by turning off "Use Graphics Processor" in Photoshop and Illustrator has given me a massive performance boost.

I think I will just sit on it for a bit until the price of cards comes down... whenever that is!

I would love to hear from anybody out there who uses Photoshop on a 4k Display what there experiences are. I cant be the only one!

I use Lightroom with Intel 5820K and GTX 1060. I really can't see a difference with graphics acceleration enabled/disabled. The photos I work with are 42MP though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back