Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz
Graphics
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi,

It looks like my GeForce 8400 GS is no longer supported in 10.8.2. Rather than mess around with modifying kexts I figure it is better to just buy a new card.

My requirements are modest. No real gaming. I do need a Dual-DVI output to drive my cheap but wonderful Catleap 27" monitor though.

Is NVidia or AMD/ATi better?

Can anyone recommend a card? TonyMac's recommendations start at the GeForce GT 640 which is ~ $100. Half that would be nice.

Low power/low noise is a plus - I'm not doing anything fancy.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

It looks like my GeForce 8400 GS is no longer supported in 10.8.2. Rather than mess around with modifying kexts I figure it is better to just buy a new card.

My requirements are modest. No real gaming. I do need a Dual-DVI output to drive my cheap but wonderful Catleap 27" monitor though.

Is NVidia or AMD/ATi better?

Can anyone recommend a card? TonyMac's recommendations start at the GeForce GT 640 which is ~ $100. Half that would be nice.

Low power/low noise is a plus - I'm not doing anything fancy.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130788&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
Works in Lion 10.7.x - no problems
Works in ML with a fix found by Beelzebozo -
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/64658-nvidia-gt610-10-8-fix.html#post416678

My assumption about the question (given the comment about a 27" monitor) was not that they were after "dual-DVI" (two DVI ports) but rather that they were after dual-link DVI (to work with >1920x1200 pixels).

Are each (or just one) of the DVI ports on that card capable of dual-link DVI?

My assumption about the question (given the comment about a 27" monitor) was not that they were after "dual-DVI" (two DVI ports) but rather that they were after dual-link DVI (to work with >1920x1200 pixels).

If you go by the EVGA site - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01G-P3-2616-KR it says DVI-i, DVI-I and the pic of the connector end shows dual-link connectors.
Also, the specs sat max resolution Digital: 2560x1600 (Dual Link DVI Only) and Analog: 2048x1536 , so I would think both DVI were dual link, but i wouldn't swear to it.

If you go by the EVGA site - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01G-P3-2616-KR it says DVI-i, DVI-I and the pic of the connector end shows dual-link connectors.
The female dual-link connector looks just like the single-link. The cable will have extra pins.

Also, the specs sat max resolution Digital: 2560x1600 (Dual Link DVI Only) and Analog: 2048x1536 , so I would think both DVI were dual link, but i wouldn't swear to it.
Cool.

Yes, it is dual-link DVI. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thank you for your help. This fix is the same fix that will work for the card I have now. (I think.)

I'm worried that this fix will "break" with each OS upgrade and was looking for a card that just works.

With Macs shipping today I see: (not counting the ancient Mac Pro)
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory (Macbook Pro Retina)
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB or 1GB of GDDR5 memory (Macbook Pro)
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory (iMac)
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory (iMac)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory (iMac)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX graphics processor with 1GB or 2GB of GDDR5 memory (iMac)

That's all I can find. And they're all mobile chips.

Out of these, would any be suitable for a desktop?

thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back