UHD 630 & Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had the opportunity to test the PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH Radeon HD 6850 recently. There seems to be a lot of confusion and issues around getting all ports working on the various AMD cards. I have had issues myself with other cards. This 1GBD5-I2DH card works OBB with all 4 ports using the latest chimera and 10.7.3

So i want to let the community know that for people needing up to 4 monitors and not wanting to hack things up this is a great card. It does require ACTIVE miniDP to DVI (or whatever) in order to use all the ports. Passive adapters will not work beyond 2 displays.

Here is a newegg and amazon link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131433
http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-AX6850-1GBD5-I2DH/dp/B004ZH13K0

and the active DP adapter i can confirm works:
http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-006B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338971004&sr=8-2

I have only tested this in 10.7.3 with chimera 1.9, other combinations of OS and bootlaoder may work but i have not verified.

Cheers,
g\

Did you test this card with four monitors simultaneously connected at one time? That's my understanding from your post but just wanted to confirm. My PowerColor 6870 does this just fine but this is the only 6850 I know of where four monitors might work.

Thanks for confirming it.

Did you use any special tags in the org.chameleon.boot.plist file? Like "ATIPorts="... or such? Do you use GraphicsEnabler=Yes?

I received my PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH yesterday and it works perfectly exactly as you had stated. Although GraphicsEnabler=Yes is the easiest, I am using RevoBoot and patched my DSDT to select the Duckweed framebuffer. It works perfectly that way. :D

Hi all,

I'm new in this forum and I'm asking for advice :)

I want to setup a system and I need it to have the ability to manage at least 3 screens. I opened a thread a few days ago, and although some partners are greatly supporting me, Now I have even more doubts than when I asked first time :banghead: hehehe

Once solved the doubts about mainboard, my doubt in this moment is how to get a graphics card that complies with:

1.- Capable of managing at least three screens.
2.- Easyest to configure as possible, the ideal would be that works out of the box (I've got big experience building and configuring computers, but macintosh and hackintosh are completely new for me).
3.- Quiet operation.

I started with the idea of a ATI 6670, but since I've read that 6850 are easyest, I've changed my mind on this sense.

So now I'm focused on finding the ATI 6850 that allow it to me, and I hope you to help me. If the VGA is not quiet, my intention is installing an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme.

GUARANTEED OPTION IN TERMS ON EASY INSTALLATION

In this thread you menction that this PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH is tested and works OK, but I need quiet operation, so I would have to replace the heatsink, and the partner Mate94 has told me that he thinks that the heatsink of this model is not replaceable :(.

Everyways with this VGA I've the problem of that in amazon.co.uk is unavaiable, and in amazon.com cost me very very expensive (238,49€), and I would have to add the cost of the heatsink (and I'm not sure about replaceability of the heatsink).

CHEAPER OPTION, PASSIVE COOLING, ¿COMPATIBILITY?

In the other hand I've another model of powercolor, that is passive (LINK), so I would not have to replace the heatsink, and further, is avaiable in amazon.co.uk at 199,96 € (cheaper than the first one and I save the cost of heatsink).

But with this one I don't know if It's gonna work as easily as genzai and brycv told that their AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH does!!

This one has 1xDL-DVI-I, 1xSL-DVI-D, 1xHDMI and 1xDisplay Port, while the famous 1GBD5-I2DH replaces one of the DVI for other display-port.

Of course, I've think in buying one of those active DP adapter, in this way, if I can't make work DVI+DVI+HDMI, I could try to use the Displayport, In amazon.co.uk the price is really really high (more than 50 euros!!): LINK

But, fortunately, is avaiable in amazon.es, at "only" 31€: LINK

So, as you can see, I'm a bit desesperated... can you advice me??

Thanks to all by advance!

iTassadar said:
So, as you can see, I'm a bit desesperated... can you advice me??

Thanks to all by advance!

I have absolutely no idea if the other power color will work. its a different port layout so its a crapshoot. Try it and let us know. If i had to guess, and its just a guess, i would say worst case scenario "only" 3 of the 4 ports work properly. so if all you need is 3 ports and not 4 then you should be ok.

EDIT
and FYI this things is kinda ridiculously huge. better make sure you have the space for it. It also basically occupies 3 slots. One each on either side of the slot it plugs in to. see photo below from newegg.
Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 1.10.43 PM.png
g\

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 1.10.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 1.10.43 PM.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 244
Thank you very much, genzai.

I think the space is not gonna be a problem, but I'll keep in mind when ordering cpu heatsink (will watch mainboard photos, look at the location of the pci-e...).

I've just order this card (the passive) to amazon.co.uk, it appeared as "only one remain in stock" and i didn't want anyone to get it :p.

I want to buy also a displayport to HDMI/DVI adaptor, but i guess that the one recomended on first post is not valid, since this passive card has an "standard" displayport and the card of first post have mini-displaports.

Whitch addaptor would be equivalent? Thoses???

To DVI

To HDMI

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back