Contribute
Register

Going to start a long term build project G4 Cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Ignore me
CPU
I'm Ignoring
Graphics
Forum RULES !!!
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Project G4 Cube in progress.

Hello guys,

Very soon i wil begin to start a long term G4 cube hackintosh project.

Right now i got a small budget so yeah thats why it wil be in a longer term.

I am still looking on the internet for a defect or non working cube a saw a couple on some Dutch second hand sites and on ebay i saw some but they ware a bit to expensive for me my budget for the cube is gonna be 40 to 50 maybe 60 Euro's but that's it.

This wil be the motherbord: Intel DQ77KB.

For the processor i am going to use a i3 probably Ivy Brigde.

For storage i wil be using my old 2,5 inch HDD with 320 GB and a 60 or 128 SSD and wil create a Fusion drive of it.

It will be only running Mac Os X.

Thats it so far, if someone has an idea or a suggestion then please comment them below.

Rick,

I have my doubts between these motherboards : H77N-WIFI , Zotac Z77-ITX A-E and Intel DQ77KB.

For the processor i am going to use a i3 probably Ivy Brigde.

Rick,
I have purchased an Intel DQ77KB and an Intel® Core™ i3-3225. The primary reason is the motherboard includes all the DC to DC conversion circuitry, it takes a single DC power input ( plugged into the rear panel) and provides power to not only the board but has a SATA power plug in the MB to provide power to a number of drives/ devices.

This significantly reduces the amount if work needed as typically a seperate board PicoPSU is needed for this function

I have purchased an Intel DQ77KB and an Intel® Core™ i3-3225. The primary reason is the motherboard includes all the DC to DC conversion circuitry, it takes a single DC power input ( plugged into the rear panel) and provides power to not only the board but has a SATA power plug in the MB to provide power to a number of drives/ devices.

This significantly reduces the amount if work needed as typically a seperate board PicoPSU is needed for this function

Thank you Kiwisincebirth!

That wil be very handy to know! that wil give me a bit more space! what kind of power adaptor did you use for motherboard hdd ssd cpu?

I have the DQ77KB running here. The CPU is a i3-3225.

The biggest advantage of the DQ77KB is, that it's very thin, so you can move it very close to the cube's locking mechanism and place the IO-shield there, where the original IO-ports were. It's also running very stable here. After a few problems in the setup phase, there was not one single crash! :thumbup:

For more details see the link in my Sig. You will also find a BOM there.

I'm looking forward to your cube project and wish "happy modding"!

MacTester

What kind of power adaptor did you use for motherboard hdd ssd cpu?
The motherboard requires a 19v DC power supply. The easiest solution is to purchase a Dell Laptop Power supply, the wattage depends on the amount of power you need, 130w is more than sufficient.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-DELL-PA-4E-130W-LAPTOP-POWER-SUPPLY-PA-10-PA-12-/170404258268

The motherboard itself comes with a internal power cable that plugs onto the MB, that has the necessary connections for several SATA HDD's

I have the DQ77KB running here. The CPU is a i3-3225.

The biggest advantage of the DQ77KB is, that it's very thin, so you can move it very close to the cube's locking mechanism and place the IO-shield there, where the original IO-ports were. It's also running very stable here. After a few problems in the setup phase, there was not one single crash! :thumbup:

For more details see the link in my Sig. You will also find a BOM there.

I'm looking forward to your cube project and wish "happy modding"!

MacTester

Thanks for the advise!

Okay that's good to hear, i've seen your build a lot of times and it looks nice!
I wil try to keep things up-to-date!

Here is a litte update! i bought a G4 cube for 50 euro's 5 minutes ago i hope i have it friday!

The motherboard requires a 19v DC power supply. The easiest solution is to purchase a Dell Laptop Power supply, the wattage depends on the amount of power you need, 130w is more than sufficient.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-DELL-PA-4E-130W-LAPTOP-POWER-SUPPLY-PA-10-PA-12-/170404258268

The motherboard itself comes with a internal power cable that plugs onto the MB, that has the necessary connections for several SATA HDD's

Thanks kiwisincebirth!

I wil hold that one in mind! for now i can't find a cheaper one in holland. now i will need to spare some cash for the motherboard:)
And for Christmas i will ask a 60 Gb SSD.

Yah. I wasn't sure which continent you were on. The board needs 19v +/- 10%. So a 19.5V will work fine. The wattage really depends how much you have hooked up. 150W to 100W should be fine. Then you just check for the right connector size. It should be 7.4mm outside diameter and 5.1mm inside diameter. That might help you find a cheaper alternative near you.

Here is the spec from the motherboard manual.
Screen Shot 2012-11-21 at 5.57.08 PM.JPG

Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back