Contribute
Register

Going to start a long term build project G4 Cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys

I have been thinking.. shall i re-use the Dvd drive?

there is room for it but i really want a better drive, one with a Dual layer burner.

Thanks for the help and ideas!

No, don't do that! Today, I've tried to connect the original drive, using a "JAE50 to SATA" adapter (4 bucks, ebay). The Apple guys are smart, the connector on the DVD drive is rotated 180 degrees, so no one can just buy a non-Apple drive and run it!! :banghead:

If the drive is connected, then it works but the Apple DVD-Player will not play the disk. See pic:
dvd_fault.jpg

I've ordered this drive now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-NEC-BC...ce-/350626873528?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CH:3160

No, don't do that! Today, I've tried to connect the original drive, using a "JAE50 to SATA" adapter (4 bucks, ebay). The Apple guys are smart, the connector on the DVD drive is rotated 180 degrees, so no one can just buy a non-Apple drive and run it!! :banghead:

If the drive is connected, then it works but the Apple DVD-Player will not play the disk. See pic:
View attachment 39410

I've ordered this drive now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-NEC-BC...ce-/350626873528?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CH:3160

Oke! crap.. well i am not going to use the old one, uhh i think i wil wait for it then let me know if that one works!

Oke! crap.. well i am not going to use the old one, uhh i think i wil wait for it then let me know if that one works!
I wouldn't worry about not using the original DVD drive, you are modernizing the computer (which includes the DVD drive) after all. Also A modern drive is fairly inexpensive...

I wouldn't worry about not using the original DVD drive, you are modernizing the computer (which includes the DVD drive) after all. Also A modern drive is fairly inexpensive...

yeah thats right but a normal Slim drive wil not fit in there..

What I did with my cube is take apart the original DVD drive, then mount a slimline slot drive inside the original DVD drive using double sided tape. The slot load drive is really lite so it holds nicely and the original DVD enclosure makes use of original mounting screws etc.

What I did with my cube is take apart the original DVD drive, then mount a slimline slot drive inside the original DVD drive using double sided tape. The slot load drive is really lite so it holds nicely and the original DVD enclosure makes use of original mounting screws etc.

Thanks Spence4,

that is an option! but how about the connections on the back of the drive?

Indeed i saw some slim drives for les than 35 euro's so that's not a problem but now i must find a way to get them fit in there nice and tight.

I just used a normal slimline to normal SATA connector. I cut a little section out of the back of the original DVD drive case and the cable fits through there into the slot drive. Very easy and cheap.

Hmm okay! wel i will hold that in mind! thanks Spence4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back