Contribute
Register

Going to mod a G5 case. Need some questions answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i3
Graphics
GT 640
Would I be able to get the power button to work with my motherboard?

Would the dvd drive fit?

Would the motherboard screws work or would I have to mod it myself?

Power_Mac_G5_hero_left.jpg

There is quite a bit of info right here in the customization that will answer your questions in more depth. I just got done with my G5; the front panel wiring is straightforward when you take the time to understand what you have to do i.e. you're going to have to get into some detail. The Sony drive is the G5 OEM so fits perfectly if you have the mounting screws. A good starting point will be to break off all the original G5 mobo mounts :) Here's my build: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=11446. Like I said, there's a lot of information on this site, insanelymac, aquamac, etc.; use your google. I got inspiration/ideas from all the sites but settled at Tony's because the folks seemed more open and helpful. Don't be in a hurry, let the problems figure themselves out..there's always a solution. Handle your components with care 'cause you're going to be putting in and pulling out a lot. G'luck

yeah, I saw yours, its beautiful. lol. My biggest concern is the wiring for the power button. I been trying to figure out how to do it on google, but no luck. thanks so much!

If you want to wire the front panel to work (usb, firewire) you will need to use the wiring diagram from insanelymac, I will be doing this myself in about a month so let me know how it goes.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41483

Also the screws that fit the apple motherboard risers are not standard PC screws, I had some old Powermac G4's around to use as donors so Im not sure where else you find ones to fit. If you do the motherboard tray method you can use ATX risers.

Here's the one I used: download/file.php?id=1670&mode=view. There are versions out there for different machines so check carefully. I think the one PT's referring to is either a Macpro case or later version G5 which is different from mine.
Here's a tip on the hardware: if you do it slowly, the 6-32 screws that come with most of the components will make their own threads into the holes of the G5 screen mesh. Don't use too much force when tightening, just enough to hold everything in place. If the hole doesn't quite line up, use a small (jewelers) file to elongate the hole on your mounted piece or the threaded hole.

I thought the power button on g5's are chips, how would i wire it? Would I have to buy my own wires? thanks!

I bought a bundle of these wires with pre-crimped terminals:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/71

Just get the right male/female setup for your mobo and the connector on the front plate of the Apple tower, use the appropriate instructions (referenced above) and you're good.

Start with the power, then once that works, the usb, and so on.

boomzilla said:
I bought a bundle of these wires with pre-crimped terminals:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/71

Just get the right male/female setup for your mobo and the connector on the front plate of the Apple tower, use the appropriate instructions (referenced above) and you're good.

Start with the power, then once that works, the usb, and so on.

gouedi said:

I don't understand what do. Is there a video or picture tutorial out there? thanks you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back