Contribute
Register

Going the 10.6 path - with an outboard DVD/CD drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9020
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello -

Thought I'd look before leaping.

I'd like to try going through the 10.6 installer creation process.

Is there any reason I can't use an outboard DVD/CD drive for this? I took the optical drive out of my 2009 macmini quite some time ago to replace it with an SSD. Since I know I don't really know what I'm doing, I can imagine a minefield or two out there.

Thanks!

Hello -

Thought I'd look before leaping.

I'd like to try going through the 10.6 installer creation process.

Is there any reason I can't use an outboard DVD/CD drive for this? I took the optical drive out of my 2009 macmini quite some time ago to replace it with an SSD. Since I know I don't really know what I'm doing, I can imagine a minefield or two out there.

Thanks!
If the external drive is macOS compatible it may work. It's always best to use one connected via Sata internally. Your Dell must have come with a DVD drive, use that. If you want to burn the iBoot Haswell disk, you can do that in Windows with no problem, doesn't have to be a Mac.

I wrote up a basic guide on how to use the SL DVD and the Yosemite .DMG from Apple.

If the external drive is macOS compatible it may work. It's always best to use one connected via Sata internally.

Hmm. The 9020 I bought is without a hard drive or OS. I have a slightly older and unmolested macmini with its DVD/CD still in place. It's low RAM, so it may take a while.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back