Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170N-WIFI
CPU
Core i7 6700k
Graphics
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
So I was kinda wondering...

How good the Intel integrated graphics has gotten? I'm on a 6700k with a dedicated GTX 960 with 4GB, and I have no reference for what kind of performance a top of the line CPU from Intel can get in terms of graphics.

Since the trend is going mini ITX, I'm always wondering how small can I get my PC build. But then it dawned on me that Intel chips got so ridiculous powerful lately that maybe its worth ditching the GPU.

Is there anyone here in the community rocking a mackintosh without a GPU with a powerful Intel CPU?
What kind of performance can I expect from such a system? Can it edit videos? Can it run games if you dual boot to Windows?
And how smooth it is compared to a GPU running on a web driver.

Well, if you look at Tom's Hardware Graphics Hierarchy Chart, the Intel Iris Pro Graphics (6200) is about equivalent to a GTX 1030 or RX 560. Just using the Coffee Lake iGPU won't get you much gaming action (low end sports games, maybe); I don't have any experience with video editing using iGPU. Really, the on-board graphics was meant for general purpose computing applications.

The better ITX motherboards have one 16x PCIe slot which is the only slot on the motherboard. If you aren't going to use that slot for another PCIe card, get yourself a middle of the line graphics card for gaming, but make sure it fits the ITX computer case you're contemplating using. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back