Contribute
Register

Going crazy trying to get my GTX 970 recognized in Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Every single time I pop in my card, I can't boot into Yosemite. The progress bar gets about 1/4 of the way through, and then halts. When I type in '-v' it says "IOUSBFamily did not receive enough extra current for the SuperSpeed device (4-port usb 3.0 hub) at 0x14b00000, asked for 400mA but got 0 mA".

Each time this happens, I attempt to do a fresh install of Yosemite with Unibeast to my SSD. My multibeast configurations are as follows...
Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 4.44.06 PM.png
My motherboard is a Z97X-UD5H, my card is a GEFORCE GTX 970, and CPU is a i5-4690K.

I've tried two methods to installing the card and it's drivers (this is the most recent driver http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80070/en-us ) a countless number of times. First method can be found here....
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...l-geforce-gtx-970-980-support.html#post888635
I'm not exactly sure how to tackle step 2. I've just been typing in "<string>nv_disable=1</string>" underneath the Kernal Flag key. After I install the drivers, I replace "nv_disable" with "nvda_drv". As soon as I select PCIe and disable IGFX I get stuck on the boot screen.

This is the other method that's been failing me...
I make a fresh install, run multibeast and reboot. On reboot I add "nvda_drv" to the plist, Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 4.58.09 PM.png
and then install the drivers. I finally pop in the card, change to PCIe in bios, remove the HDMI from the motherboard, and run a Display Port to the graphics card. Same thing happens when I try to reboot, get stuck on the boot screen.

Can anyone share a solution?

If I was you I would boot with the card in your system and disable Intel HD in bios.
Add to the USB installer bootflags: npci=0x2000, nv_disable=1
This should get you into the installer.
Install your system and reboot with the same USB with the same bootflags. and choose your new installed system. Use Clover or Chameleon and do not reboot but fisrt install the Nvidia-wed-drivers.
After install of that add nvda_drv=1 to your bootflag of the new install and also npci=0x2000
Reboot and it should run like a charm.

Good luck!

Also in the bootflags make one line.
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1</string>

Just like that. And make sure SMBIOS matches your CPU and GPU
I would say iMac14,2 or so!

Your Kernel Flags should look like this

Code:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>
Set IGPEnabler to No

Disable internal graphics in the BIOS and set Init Display First to PCI/PCIE

Hello! So it's possible to install Yosemite using the gtx970 in safe mode, without using the internal graphics?

Hello! So it's possible to install Yosemite using the gtx970 in safe mode, without using the internal graphics?

Yes, set your BIOS as I recommended in the last post. Use the boot flags

nv_diasable=1 -x -v -f

Boot with the same flags to reach the registration of OS X, once at the desktop run MultiBeast. Install the Nvidia drivers. Once the MultiBeast and Nvidia drivers are installed. Edit your org.chameleon.Boot.plist as the above post and test.

Not safe-mode just without nvidia kext loaded by nv_disable=1
That's how you can get into installer. And get into your fresh installed system!

Ok Thank you guys for the help!!!
I'll give a try soon :thumbup:

Your Kernel Flags should look like this

Code:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>
Set IGPEnabler to NO

Disable internal graphics in the BIOS and set Init Display First to PCI/PCIE

It seems to finally be working! The only problem is that I have to turn off/turn on my monitor to get the login screen displayed. I used a combination of yours and Edkroket's advice, by adding his suggested "npci=0x2000" and your suggestion of setting IGP to "No". Should I remove "ncp=0x2000", or modify anything to the plist? This is what my bootlist looks like...
Screen Shot 2014-12-07 at 4.31.12 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back