Contribute
Register

RIP Gobias’s Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-UD5H - i7-4770K - RX 580 - macOS Big Sur & Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: USB Audio and SSD Upgrades

USB Audio
I’ve had numerous issues trying to get audio to work I think since El Capitan, so I eventually decided to get a Sabrent USB External Sound Adapter, which works out of the box. No more worrying about whether an update to macOS will break audio again!

SSD Upgrades
More recently, I also upgraded both of my Samsung 840 EVO 128GB SSDs to 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSDs (Amazon | Newegg). I used SuperDuper! to clone my Mac drive, and I used Samsung’s Data Migration Software to clone my Windows drive. Both are working perfectly.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Mojave 10.14.3

Update
I recently directly updated from High Sierra 10.13.6 to Mojave 10.14.3 using the App Store. The update completed without

Finder, Quicklook, and Preview JPEG Bug
After updating, I noticed that Finder and Quicklook couldn’t display JPEGs, and Preview would freeze if I tried to open a JPEG. I fixed this by installing Lilu.kext and the Lilu plugin NoVPAJpeg.kext.

Last edited:
Do you have audio, audio driver ALC898 needed in your MultiBeast.
See this post. I gave up on fussing with audio a while ago and got an external audio adapter. It works out of the box. No codec needed.

UPDATE: Mojave 10.14.4

I recently updated to macOS 10.14.4. It was recommended to update Clover to r4862+ before updating macOS, and since I only had r4630, I decided to update to the latest version via Clover Configurator. Unfortunately, that prevented macOS from completely loading. It just kept getting stuck on the Apple logo screen. I ended up having to boot with my Unibeast USB and then downgrade Clover to r4862.

Then I was able to boot up again and install the update via the new Software Update in System Preferences.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Replaced GTX 660 graphics card with RX 580

As previously mentioned, there is a graphics glitch when using the GTX 660 graphics card in High Sierra or Mojave. I finally got sick of dealing with the glitch, so I bought a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB (Amazon | Newegg), which is natively supported in Mojave. All I had to do was swap the cards, and the RX 580 worked perfectly out of the box (no special drivers or other customizations required).

I did have a minor issue on my Windows drive, though, where I couldn't change my display resolution. I think it was because I didn't uninstall the Nvidia drivers before installing the AMD drivers. After I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and reinstalled the AMD drivers, I was able to change the resolution.

After I was sure everything was running fine, I ran some benchmarks to see how the RX 580 compared to my GTX 660.

Geekbench OpenCL Compute:

LuxMark - GPU (RX 580 left, GTX 660 right):

LuxMark - CPU+GPU (RX 580 left, GTX 660 right):

Unigine Heaven - Medium (RX 580 left, GTX 660 right):

Unigine Heaven - High (this was the highest settings I could run with an average FPS of at least 60):

Unigine Valley - High (this was also the highest settings I could run with an average FPS of at least 60):

I also ran the newer Unigine Superposition benchmark (Windows only), which could only do 60 FPS on Medium:

Last edited:
UPDATE: Catalina 10.15.4

Update
I finally got around to updating to Catalina 10.15.4 from Mojave 10.14.6 by following the Update Directly to macOS Catalina guide. I used Clover Configurator to update to the latest version of Clover and tested it to make sure there were no issues before updating.

Black Screen During Update/Installation Bug
During the installation of Catalina, the screen went black and stayed that way. I tried restarting, but it just kept going black during installation. This bug is resolved for some people by using the latest WhateverGreen and Lilu kexts. I had an old version of Lilu installed and didn't even have WhateverGreen, and I couldn't boot into my startup disk to update them since I was in mid-installation. I got around this by creating a new bootable Catalina USB drive using the latest version of UniBeast with the latest kexts and booting from the Clover on that drive. Then I was able to continue the update normally. After updating to Catalina, I used Clover Configurator to update Lilu and install WhateverGreen.

Black Screen After Wake Bug
The only bug I've found with Catalina so far is getting a black screen after waking from sleep mode. I fixed this issue by disabling the serial port in my UEFI settings.

About This Mac 10-15-4.png

UPDATE: APFS SuperDuper Clone and Catalina 10.15.5

APFS SuperDuper Clone

After updating to Catalina from Mojave, I went to update the clone of my startup disc using SuperDuper, but when I did, SuperDuper gave me a warning stating that to clone my Catalina disc, the HFS+ drive used for the clone would have to be converted to APFS and that the conversion process could fail, causing me to lose the data on the clone. Well, it did fail, so I had to reformat the drive as APFS using Disk Utility and then created a new clone using SuperDuper. After SuperDuper was done, I used Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partitions on my startup and clone drives and then used the Configurator's Clover Cloner feature to clone my startup EFI to the clone EFI.

Catalina 10.15.5 Update
I attempted to update Clover from r5117 to r5118 using Clover Configurator before updating macOS, but the Clover installer gave me an error message saying that r5118 wasn't compatible with my version of macOS (10.15.4). Since others have reported updating to 10.15.5 with older versions of Clover, I just went ahead with r5117, and I updated from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 via System Preferences without any issues.

About This Mac 10-15-5.png

Last edited:
UPDATE: Catalina 10.15.5 Supplement Update Issues and Installation

Catalina 10.15.5 Supplement Update Attempt #1

I attempted to update from 10.15.5 to the 10.15.5 Supplemental Update, but after the second reboot, I got an error stating that "macOS could not be installed on your computer", and when I tried to boot from my startup disk, my computer would just shut down in the middle of the Apple logo loading screen.

Restore from Backup Attempt #1
Eventually, I gave up trying to install the update, and I attempted to boot into recovery mode and restore from a Time Machine backup, but that restore failed, twice. :banghead:

Restore from Backup Attempt #2 (Success)
Luckily, I have a clone of my startup disk, but frustratingly, I had forgotten to update it after I updated my Hack to 10.15.5, so it only had 10.15.4 on it. I booted into the clone and used SuperDuper to clone that back to my startup disk. Then I was able to boot from my startup disk again.

Catalina 10.15.5 Supplement Update Attempt #2 (Success)
In preparation for a second attempt at installing the update, I used Clover Configurator to update Clover to r5119, Lilu to 1.4.5, and WhateverGreen to 1.4.0 and tested to make sure I could still boot without issues (I could). Then instead of downloading the 10.15.5 update via System Preferences or the App Store, I downloaded the 10.15.5 combo update, which installed this time without any problems. :thumbup:
About This Mac 10-15-5 Supplemental.png

@Gobias

Have you tried the iGPU as well? And would you mind showing me your clover config? I'm searching for a build with the exact same mobo that you use just with the iGPU enabled on Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back