Contribute
Register

RIP Gobias’s Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-UD5H - i7-4770K - RX 580 - macOS Big Sur & Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gobias

Have you tried the iGPU as well? And would you mind showing me your clover config? I'm searching for a build with the exact same mobo that you use just with the iGPU enabled on Catalina.

Sorry, no. I've only used Nvidia and AMD graphics cards with my mobo. I've never tried the iGPU.

@Gobias

Have you tried the iGPU as well? And would you mind showing me your clover config? I'm searching for a build with the exact same mobo that you use just with the iGPU enabled on Catalina.
Here's my Clover config if it helps.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 195
UPDATE: Catalina 10.15.6

I updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.6 via System Preferences without any issues.
About This Mac 10-15-6.png

UPDATE: Added BenQ DesignVue PD2720U 4K Monitor

I recently replaced my old Apple Cinema Display with a BenQ DesignVue PD2720U 4K Monitor (Amazon | Newegg). I connected it to my Hackintosh with a KabelDirekt DisplayPort 1.4 6 ft Cable (Amazon).

BenQ.jpg

Pros:
  • 4K resolution (finally made the upgrade!)
  • 96% of P3 and 99% of Adobe RGB spaces for photo editing
  • 65W Thunderbolt 3 port that lets me connect and charge my MacBook Pro
  • KVM switch that lets me use my mouse and keyboard for both my Hackintosh and my MacBook Pro
Neutral:
  • HDR: The implementation of HDR in macOS is still kinda wonky, but it at least switches the monitor to HDR mode when I turn it on in System Preferences (unlike my 4K LG TV which doesn't). FWIW it works in Windows, too.
Cons
  • Turning off the monitor shuts off power to the USB and Thunderbolt ports meaning it stops charging my MacBook Pro and I can't wake either computer using my keyboard or mouse. I have press the power button on my Hackintosh to wake it.
  • Turning on the monitor also wakes my Hackintosh, but the input doesn't always show on the monitor when this happens. My workaround is to first press the power button on my Hackintosh to wake it and then to turn on the monitor.

UPDATE: Catalina 10.15.6 Supplemental Update

I updated to the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Supplemental Update via System Preferences without any issues. Before updating, I left Clover at r5119 but updated Lilu to 1.4.6 and WhateverGreen to 1.4.1.

About This Mac 10-15-6 Supplemental.png

UPDATE: Fixing 4K Monitor Resolution Issues

After upgrading to 4K monitor, I noticed some issues with the resolution during startup. Both the Clover UI and Apple loading screen were low-res, and the Clover UI appeared stretched because it clearly had the wrong aspect ratio.

The first thing I did was set CSM to Never in the UEFI BIOS. This changed the Clover UI and Apple loading screen to the full 3840x2160 resolution, but everything was small because the resolution wasn't scaled.

Next, I used Clover Configurator to set EFILoginHiDPI and UIScale to 2 in my Clover config.plist. Setting both to 2 made the Apple loading screen 1920x1080 scaled/hidpi. Setting just one of them to 2 did nothing.
Clover Scaled Resolution Settings.png

Unfortunately, the Clover UI still wasn't scaled, and I haven't found any tweaks to fix it. I read somewhere in the forums that using a Clover theme designed for 4K resolution would resolve the issue, so I might try that in the future. Right now, I'm still using the tonymacx86 theme.

I came across your thread looking for some help. I have pretty much the same system. Does your Airdrop work? I'm trying to figure out why my Airdrop stops working when waking up from sleep. The Airport Channel changes after waking up from sleep.

I came across your thread looking for some help. I have pretty much the same system. Does your Airdrop work? I'm trying to figure out why my Airdrop stops working when waking up from sleep. The Airport Channel changes after waking up from sleep.
Unfortunately, Airdrop doesn't work on my system. Awhile back, I tried following a guide for enabling Airport on unsupported devices, but I could never get it to work.

Thanks, I need to look into this further. Everything was working from Yosemite to High Sierra and Mojave, so not sure what happened in Catalina with this issue of Airdrop. At least everything else is running smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back