Contribute
Register

Gobias’s Comet Lake Build: Prime Z490-A - i7-10700K - RX 6600 - macOS Ventura & Windows 11 Pro

I am considering to update my system to z490 mobo with 10th gen CPU once and for all before going for Apple Silicone.

I am a pro musician and audio engineer working with Pro Tools, Ableton Live and Logic Pro and excessive user of UAD cards so, Thunderbolt is a MUST for me.
You can still buy a new Z490 Vision D board with dual Thunderbolt 3 ports built in. Casey's golden build write up covers Thunderbolt in great detail, down to which BIOS version to use for support. I know, it costs more than the Asus Prime Z490 but it's a business write off and something you have to depend on for work everyday. It's worth paying more for it.

Not a Refurb. New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging.

The seller ships to many countries around the world if you're not US based. Last check they had 12 in stock, then they're gone for good. I don't trust Ebay sellers of used motherboards, usually run into problems with something damaged on the board.

If you liked KGP's write ups which went into extreme detail, have a read of CaseySJ's guide for your Alpine Ridge card.

Last edited:
I've never used a Thunderbolt card, so I couldn't say. The manual for the Prime Z490-A includes instructions for installing the Asus ThunderboltEX 3-TR card (see screenshot below), which obviously Asus would prefer you buy, but that doesn't mean your card wouldn't work. I found some reviews of the GC Alpine Ridge card that said it worked with other Asus motherboards, but I couldn't find anything specifically about using it with the Prime Z490-A. It might work, but I can't say that for certain.

View attachment 562661
Thank you for your reply ! It already works with my current systems Asus x99 mobo; I guess there is a good chance to work with Asus Prime z490, too but never know without trying. I will consider it, thank you... :)
You can still buy a new Z490 Vision D board with dual Thunderbolt 3 ports built in. Casey's golden build write up covers Thunderbolt in great detail, down to which BIOS version to use for support. I know, it costs more than the Asus Prime Z490 but it's a business write off and something you have to depend on for work everyday. It's worth paying more for it.

Not a Refurb. New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging.

The seller ships to many countries around the world if you're not US based. Last check they had 12 in stock, then they're gone for good. I don't trust Ebay sellers of used motherboards, usually run into problems with something damaged on the board.

If you liked KGP's write ups which went into extreme detail, have a read of CaseySJ's guide for your Alpine Ridge card.

Yes I saw that CaseySJ's excellent guide... and took a glance at it, what a solid build.
Unlickily, I couldn't find z490 vision D board brand-new or second hand locally.

Thank you for your kind response and the link from ebay. I wouldn't miss that listing, If I'm in US but unfortunately I am far outside of US. I'm from Turkey, Istanbul and internationally oversea shipping for electronic compenents like mobos and other pc parts is very problematic here in my country... I will keep looking for the vision D board for a while on the second hand market here before making any desicion.

Besides, CaseySJ's Alpine Ridge guide looks very promising, I will look into it. Thank you for sharing !

Last edited:
Jumping in here because I had to work through the combinations of options:

The use of the older AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext is one of at least three ways for handling i225v in Ventura and is not always required.

As of Monterey, if the i225v is a late rev (3, I think) with a proper device ID in HW, enabling AppleVTD allows the ethernet to work natively.

So it's possible in this case that the build was working in Monterey and the upgrade to Ventura required no attention to ethernet.

Injecting AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext is best when old controller and can't upgrade firmware, or as a quick fix for Ventura which might not work in future.
I finally updated to Ventura, and my Ethernet wasn't working as expected. I also got an error for four apps from the App Store stating that they were damaged and needed to be deleted and re-downloaded. Deleting and re-downloading the apps didn't help, so I thought it might be a Ventura bug. However, I couldn't find a solution, so I decided to go ahead with fixing my Ethernet.

I followed this guide that you shared in another post. First, I tried Option 1 to inject AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext, which got my Ethernet working as it had been before. It also fixed those damaged app errors and allowed me to open those apps again. That made me think it had something to do with the fact that you need a working Ethernet connection set as en0 and built-in to fix iServices.

Next, I tried Option 2 for native Ethernet. This also fixed Ethernet, and everything appears correct in System Info, except for one thing: the Revision ID is still 2, not 3.

System Info - I225-V Opt 2 Rev 2.png

I also started getting that damaged app error again for one app (but no others) from App Store:
App damaged.png

Again, deleting and re-downloading the app doesn't fix the issue. I also tried deleting these preferences and rebooting, but that didn't fix it either:
  • /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

I'd prefer to stick with the native Ethernet option. Do you have any idea what might be causing the damaged app error and how I might fix it?

Just FYI. I tried with and old x99-a, and it didn't happen. I think it is something related to the new motherboards.

I didn't know there was a relationship between Ethernet and the Damaged App error. So thanks for mentioning this.

I was wondering about this the other day. I have saw the damaged app error happen when I booted a CCC clone. But I've never looked into it because I determined it was simple to just re-copy the program from its dmg to fix.

In my case I don't think the damaged app problem is about networking because enet works the same on the clone. I mention this because it could mean maybe there's something else going on only indirectly related to the network?

E.G.: just to show how my thinking works: historically network contrller MAC addrs are one of many HW IDs used by SW industry to profile uniqueness of a config.

ASIDE TO FUTURE GENERATIONS who come across this post:
MAC addr = Media Access Controller address, which is a 6 byte globally unique controller ID which allows ethernet packets to find their way around your local network.
- MAC != Apple Mac
- Media = the PHY in the ethernet controller; the circuits that send signals on the LAN cable.
Pls do not think like the US Senators who say an IP address is an "Intellectual Property" address and that the interwebz are a "series of tubes vs dump-trucks." MAC addrs are arranged by the computer industry to be globally unique, predating the industry definition of the UUID, so they are useful for determining end-system uniqueness and get repurposed for this chore. However there's no end-user enforcement of uniqueness and nothing to prevent you from assigning the controller any MAC addr you want. Apple has long experience with these constraints and will not have built literal one-to-one security factor dependencies on such an ID.
/END ASIDE

These side details could matter obliquely if macOS's access control mechanisms can't get any MAC addr, or if the MAC addrs charge in weird ways... Then there's the case of app security info which Apple sources from its cloud, which if unavailable might affect macOS view of app integrity. I don't know details, but I try to imagine the concerns as analogous to how having wrong system date/time can result in your web browser not working, because behind the scenes the internet security chain-of-trust relies on PKI crypto certificate lifetimes, and your system won't processes security certificates if they're too far in the future or past relative to your system clock and all you see is "Can't load page"

Shifting gears back to options for i225v support:

I've forgotten some of what I wrote about in the i225v post. As I recall there were concerns for dealing with various OS revs where options ranged across:
- old-school spoofing controller device ID,
- hacking controller ID in firmware,
- updating i225v controller firmware,
- injecting pre-Ventura Apple drivers,
- running Ventura drivers natively with VT-D.

The last one I think requires rev 3 i225v? Here I'm not sure too — OMG there's no limit to what I don't know — but one of the options refer to another post on a 3rd-party blob of firmware and using OC to run an controller update utility.

I will wave my hands here that maybe another way to get i225v updated might be—just-might—to install the board vendor's Windows 11 ethernet driver or IME firmware update... Again I don't know for sure (I a apologize!) but I think the Asus Hero XIII I use predated i225v rev 3 OOB in 2021 but it's now it's at rev 3, and the only things I've done that could affect this are Asus updates.

The true answer to your plight lies in figuring out more about how Apple does app integrity checking, then working backwards from there.

But I don't know how that works.

E.G.: just to show how my thinking works: historically network contrller MAC addrs are one of many HW IDs used by SW industry to profile uniqueness of a config.

ASIDE TO FUTURE GENERATIONS who come across this post:
MAC addr = Media Access Controller address, which is a 6 byte globally unique controller ID which allows ethernet packets to find their way around your local network.
- MAC != Apple Mac
- Media = the PHY in the ethernet controller; the circuits that send signals on the LAN cable.
Pls do not think like the US Senators who say an IP address is an "Intellectual Property" address and that the interwebz are a "series of tubes vs dump-trucks." MAC addrs are arranged by the computer industry to be globally unique, predating the industry definition of the UUID, so they are useful for determining end-system uniqueness and get repurposed for this chore. However there's no end-user enforcement of uniqueness and nothing to prevent you from assigning the controller any MAC addr you want. Apple has long experience with these constraints and will not have built literal one-to-one security factor dependencies on such an ID.
/END ASIDE

These side details could matter obliquely if macOS's access control mechanisms can't get any MAC addr, or if the MAC addrs charge in weird ways... Then there's the case of app security info which Apple sources from its cloud, which if unavailable might affect macOS view of app integrity. I don't know details, but I try to imagine the concerns as analogous to how having wrong system date/time can result in your web browser not working, because behind the scenes the internet security chain-of-trust relies on PKI crypto certificate lifetimes, and your system won't processes security certificates if they're too far in the future or past relative to your system clock and all you see is "Can't load page"
Thanks for sharing all this info. It was very educational for me!

The last one I think requires rev 3 i225v? Here I'm not sure too — OMG there's no limit to what I don't know — but one of the options refer to another post on a 3rd-party blob of firmware and using OC to run an controller update utility.
Yes, I used the blob to update the i225v firmware, and when comparing a backup of the original firmware to a backup of the firmware after updating, I can see that it corrected the Subsystem-ID and Subsystem Vendor-ID, as this guide explains is the problem. I can also see that they're correct in System Information. It's just that for some reason, System Info still says I have rev 2 for some reason.

I will wave my hands here that maybe another way to get i225v updated might be—just-might—to install the board vendor's Windows 11 ethernet driver or IME firmware update... Again I don't know for sure (I a apologize!) but I think the Asus Hero XIII I use predated i225v rev 3 OOB in 2021 but it's now it's at rev 3, and the only things I've done that could affect this are Asus updates.
I checked for driver and firmware updates for my board first. I already had the latest versions of everything.

The true answer to your plight lies in figuring out more about how Apple does app integrity checking, then working backwards from there.
I guess I have some more research to do…

I finally updated to Ventura, and my Ethernet wasn't working as expected. I also got an error for four apps from the App Store stating that they were damaged and needed to be deleted and re-downloaded. Deleting and re-downloading the apps didn't help, so I thought it might be a Ventura bug. However, I couldn't find a solution, so I decided to go ahead with fixing my Ethernet.

I followed this guide that you shared in another post. First, I tried Option 1 to inject AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext, which got my Ethernet working as it had been before. It also fixed those damaged app errors and allowed me to open those apps again. That made me think it had something to do with the fact that you need a working Ethernet connection set as en0 and built-in to fix iServices.

Next, I tried Option 2 for native Ethernet. This also fixed Ethernet, and everything appears correct in System Info, except for one thing: the Revision ID is still 2, not 3.

View attachment 562847

I also started getting that damaged app error again for one app (but no others) from App Store:
View attachment 562848

Again, deleting and re-downloading the app doesn't fix the issue. I also tried deleting these preferences and rebooting, but that didn't fix it either:
  • /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

I'd prefer to stick with the native Ethernet option. Do you have any idea what might be causing the damaged app error and how I might fix it?
I think it is not a Mac-specific issue or even Hackintosh issue, as those Ethernet problems are widely reported using natively Windows.

Thanks for sharing all this info. It was very educational for me!

Yes, I used the blob to update the i225v firmware, and when comparing a backup of the original firmware to a backup of the firmware after updating, I can see that it corrected the Subsystem-ID and Subsystem Vendor-ID, as this guide explains is the problem. I can also see that they're correct in System Information. It's just that for some reason, System Info still says I have rev 2 for some reason.

I checked for driver and firmware updates for my board first. I already had the latest versions of everything.

I guess I have some more research to do…
Hi! I own rev2, and I have not any issue with Ethernet with AppleVTD activated. Just need to select the speed manually. It does not work in automatic mode, and I need to force “1000” in my case. I have not any 2.5 connection, so I can not confirm. I can confirm that 2.5 is showed up in the drop down menu.

Did you find any issue with the video output with Ventura ? I own a 3440x1440 linked via DisplayPort to a RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Gaming OC.
My display goes black randomly for few seconds during normal operation (eg. surfing over internet or using Logic Pro/Final Cut). It is frustrating.

This do not happen on Wndows side. I can work for hours without any issue.

Another strange thing came out if I try to use HDMI. Under Ventura returns garbage everywhere resulting in a total mess view. Same behavior if I reboot into windows. I need to shutdown the machine and reboot (no issue booting via HDMI to Windows directly).

I use your latest files except for SMBIOS (20.2 also replaced in USB map kext) and the AppleVTD part (turned on in bios and relative quirk).

Cheers!

Hi! I own rev2, and I have not any issue with Ethernet with AppleVTD activated. Just need to select the speed manually. It does not work in automatic mode, and I need to force “1000” in my case. I have not any 2.5 connection, so I can not confirm. I can confirm that 2.5 is showed up in the drop down menu.

Did you find any issue with the video output with Ventura ? I own a 3440x1440 linked via DisplayPort to a RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Gaming OC.
My display goes black randomly for few seconds during normal operation (eg. surfing over internet or using Logic Pro/Final Cut). It is frustrating.

This do not happen on Wndows side. I can work for hours without any issue.

Another strange thing came out if I try to use HDMI. Under Ventura returns garbage everywhere resulting in a total mess view. Same behavior if I reboot into windows. I need to shutdown the machine and reboot (no issue booting via HDMI to Windows directly).

I use your latest files except for SMBIOS (20.2 also replaced in USB map kext) and the AppleVTD part (turned on in bios and relative quirk).

Cheers!
I haven't had any video output issues with DisplayPort. I haven't tried HDMI.

Back