Nvidia 9800GT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had a lot of fun building this G5 and I wanted to share with you all what I did.

G5Case.jpg

I wanted to accomplish 3 things for this:
  1. Internally l wanted the layout to look as much like a G5 as possible, but the hardware of course modernized to be as current as possible.
  2. Externally I didn’t want the build to look like it was modified. I wanted it to look like something Apple shipped.
  3. I wanted the Apple logos to glow like on an apple laptop, plus when the door came off I didn’t want a cord to be connected.
I think I accomplished those goals as well as I could, if you don’t look too close :) But I had a load of fun doing it.

To see the parts and performance of the machine you can look at this thread here.

Unfortunately the case isn't perfect. There is definitely a bit of cosmetic damage, but I figured I'd have fun with it anyway.

IMG_5109.jpg
IMG_5110.jpg

I tore it apart and began work on the PSU (These pics are before I realized I needed to route the power wires more exact. I got that part in the final build but the pics don't show it.) Also, The yellow/black wires are the power from a molex connection to make the apples glow. I couldn't get grey 60mm Noctua fans, so I painted them black with flat black spray paint. I figured they'd be hidden, but I didn't want them to be visible at all.

Also, the PSU is not NEARLY as pretty as all of you have done, but I just dremmeled off the top of the PSU and angled the front panel to fit. By jamming all the air through produced with the 2 fans I hoped that even with the big blockage of the front panel I could keep it cool enough... and based on my observations, it worked out.

IMG_5191.jpg
IMG_5192.jpg
IMG_5194.jpg
IMG_5193.jpg
IMG_5195.jpg
IMG_5196.jpg

By the way... the green tape was going to be the mask for making my contacts for the door panel glowing apple power. That didn't work out. I ended up using the telephone wire and jack, but it was a good idea. Someone like Neil would have made it work nice... but I'm no Jedi at this point. :)

Then I tested my LED's using the molex from my X79 hackintosh... it worked:

IMG_5199.jpg

Oh... And here's proof that the contact idea with copper tape didn't work:

IMG_5231.jpg

See the fried wires? Yeah that was bad.

I got my motherboard tray kit from Laserhive and mounted it up. I was surprised how it left virtually no room for my apple on that side of the case... Oh well. I'll figure it out!

IMG_5275.jpg

Then the nerve wracking part... Drilling into the case. That was an adventure I had to take care of both sides:

IMG_5310.jpg
IMG_5311.jpg
IMG_5440.jpg
IMG_5441.jpg
IMG_5444.jpg
IMG_5442.jpg
IMG_5439.jpg
IMG_5445.jpg

Then I had a friend CNC out some apples out of 50% translucent plexiglass:

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 3.46.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 3.47.20 PM.png

I still had plenty of filing and sanding to do to get them to fit, but once I did, I just wrapped the LEDs around the apple plate and then covered the apples in aluminum foil. I figured if Apple was doing this, they wouldn't want the glow to be throughout the entire case so I tried to minimize it even though I did end up puncturing the foil in a couple places. I will probably go back and fix it in the coming days:

IMG_5589.jpg
IMG_5588.jpg

I wanted the door to come off without having any wires attached, so I used a telephone jack as my coupler and just ground off the shoulders that would normally click it into place. It worked out reasonablly nice:

IMG_5590.jpg
IMG_5638.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

Then as the computer got built I just tried to get the wiring right. It certainly isn't perfect, but I suppose it's going to be pretty good. That little 4 drive SSD bay uses LOTS of cables:

IMG_5643.jpg
IMG_5644.jpg
IMG_5636.jpg
IMG_5645.jpg
IMG_5648.jpg
IMG_5650.jpg

I'm using modern fans (Noctua), but I was able to keep all of them grey (except the PSU ones I showed earlier), and I was able to use all of the old housings. I think it was true to the original design including the speaker that beeps at each boot up. The temperatures have stayed really low so I think the wind tunnels are working quite well.

IMG_5635.jpg
IMG_5631.jpg
IMG_5632.jpg
IMG_5633.jpg

I wish I didn't have to cut the clear plastic where the graphics card power goes in, but I was absolutely not going to finish the job without it... so it was a compromise I was willing to make.

IMG_5634.jpg

It looks cool when it's on and off. If I could get the sleep to consistently work.. That's a whole other thread... It would be nice because the glowing apple turns off during sleep, but overall I'm really happy.

Last edited:
this is very creative and thanks for showing us!

including the speaker that beeps at each boot up

How did you manage to make this work? The beeper-header on my mobo doesn't power my original speaker enough to make a sound.

How did you manage to make this work? The beeper-header on my mobo doesn't power my original speaker enough to make a sound.
Hmm... I couldn't say for your mobo, but the one in this build has only the positive and negative connectors attached. There is no additional power on mine.

Thanks guys. This has been a really fun build.

Hello 5Star I know im kinda late to the party but I abserloutly love your glowing Logos. Is there any possibility you may have some spare Plexiglass Logos from your build? I know it's an absurd questions but unfortunatelly I dont have a friend with a giant cnc ^^ So I do not know how I would be able to get them in a different manner :)

Have a good day,

momo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back