1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
APERTURE SCIENCE COMPUTER ENRICHMENT

Hello,

This project is my second conversion of a Power Mac G4 to an Intel-based Hackintosh.

Here's a link to my previous project: http://www.overclock.net/t/905914/power-mac-g4-conversion

Since my last project was centered around taking an old mac and giving it new life by styling it to look like a current Apple product, I've decided that this second project will be focused around taking an old mac and making it look like it isn't an Apple product at all.

Here's a sneak peak of where I'm at with this project:

UPDATE: May 25, 2014

I've completed the "guts" of this build and have been stress-testing the thermals for almost six months:

Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
Intel Core i7-4770K
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Windforce X3 Overclocked
Patriot Viper 32GB 1866MHz DDR3
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro All-in-one CPU cooler
Sandisk SSD 240GB
Seagate Hybrid SSHDD 4TB (X2)
Seagate Hybrid SSHDD 1TB

Bcv3uLn.jpg
sCEpjzg.jpg
nRxvnEL.jpg
DFaC8xs.jpg

Folding@home pushes this system to the edge, and I've been vigorously tweaking the cooling system to keep a balance of noise, heat, and performance.
With the door open I can get almost 200,000 Points Per Day.
With the door closed this number drops to about 120,000~150,000 - depending on the work units and fan speed settings.

Today, I reached a major landmark in my folding efforts. (Link): Ten Million Points
I've seen others use devices like this to give their hackintosh the classic startup chime, and this will certainly do that, but since it has over one minute of playback time, I've decided to embed some humor along with it.

[video=youtube;-rVUpjC1yHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rVUpjC1yHI[/video]

Out of the box, the USB audio recording module uses three lithium ion batteries. These are not necessary when connected via USB since this too will provide power. The module also comes with a trigger button, but since it will be triggered when the power button is pressed I don't have any need for it either. The wiring was pretty flimsy so I took some solder to it :)

Xvoh4TI.jpg

E8ugUzP.jpg

I then modified the original speaker holder to contain the USB module. The speaker's magnet does a good job of hold it in place against the metal of the case interior.

3Hd4bYD.jpg

EW8JvQi.jpg

I've previously had the handles mounted

tN6S7Lt.jpg

...but they still need some surface work. I'll get them sanded and clear-coated soon enough.

yl5855K.jpg

er7kRTh.jpg

LMRStzp.jpg

I've cutout room for the rear I/O shield. I still need to modify the door panel to accept a standard mATX motherboard. I've selected an 850 Watt Power Supply to ensure flexibility for components. I'm debating between a Socket 2011 and a Socket 1150. Since Apple hasn't officially supported Haswell CPUs, I think I may be waiting for a while. In a perfect world, I'd be able to get a mATX gigabyte motherboard with a Z87 chipset and integrated thunderbolt. The options for 1150 are still pretty slim, so I don't mind waiting.

Here are some more work log photos:

Ztct1De.jpg
ohMYJPr.jpg
1Q2qvdf.jpg

The standoff for the original fan mount was in the way of one of the fans, so I had to cut a corner

8iRCPCL.jpg

h0Zx4Ls.jpg
3Ak3Ako.jpg

Spray paint can be pretty messy. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage to work in, so I had to compromise and use my bedroom. Dexter would be proud.

QgkL03G.jpg

Spray paint indoors can also be dangerous to your health, so in addition to extra filtering and ventilation, I'm also using a military surplus gas mask

OgfCoXg.jpg

The cut on the left was free-handed for the power supply, the one on the right was trace cut, with much better results

U3bQRVc.jpg

Initially, I wanted to do transparent logos with backlighting, but this proved to be more challenging than I was equipped for.

zANxhJg.jpg
1kRSgJD.jpg
Mqeipud.jpg
AeMSKf6.jpg
EYyzaBx.jpg
0xfCNbm.jpg

Soaking the panels in 99% Isopropyl Alcohol did the trick with the silver paint.

JqOMvcK.jpg
mdF6Wx0.jpg
SwJ2ybz.jpg
ikGq3qC.jpg
7X8eyUM.jpg
PqY3mUm.jpg
DyFBWIo.jpg
czlrQqn.jpg
iN491ir.jpg

I applied a die cut vinyl logo to mask over the orange paint.

a1ChOf4.jpg
luMgkwD.jpg

The transparent log didn't quite work out however...

ERM2UT7.jpg
KsiyFGc.jpg
GMXmG4E.jpg
wDiRqQh.jpg
Bw5Jd2B.jpg
KfZkO7R.jpg
mKBeFD9.jpg
YaxQ5gO.jpg

The adhesive worked too well, and the enamel peeled off with the vinyl.

XGu3c3v.jpg

Recoating to cover up this test decal proved problematic as well. Rustoleum [BOLD]CANNOT[/BOLD] be recoated unless at least a day or two has elapsed since the prior coat. The new layer ends up reacting with the undercoat and it creates this crackling effect.

29pgj1R.jpg
MvJEdQ1.jpg
zHf3e4A.jpg
V9sbSR7.jpg
Nthv8eJ.jpg
yTv6dmE.jpg
iwDzono.jpg
dVpTIF1.jpg

Ultimately the surface couldn't survive the sanding process, and the same "crackling" problem cropped up again.

DR6PAGH.jpg
axTLPxG.jpg

I'm happy with the alternate route (two-tone masking) since it turned out pretty well.

Here's some of the metal cutting of the interior:

BUe1WAX.jpg
EBk9aHv.jpg
ML5yTyi.jpg
KKarvua.jpg
mmQcpxe.jpg
UltYqfD.jpg
5FDCSOf.jpg
RqooCtr.jpg

Hb0WWRQ.jpg
LEh7hZQ.jpg
qZhJmJM.jpg
ukZrigc.jpg

I've cut out room for a vent to accommodate an integrated liquid cooling system.

nhAUy2a.jpg
439fquQ.jpg

It is a mix of G4 and G5! Time for more painting!

78wpqoo.jpg
HOZyRLb.jpg
q0skwLv.jpg
mY4n6Ls.jpg
DX7oqlM.jpg

After the debacle with the transparent masks, I had to do some more intensive surface work to get it back to its former glory. All's well that ends well.

NcbvXjY.jpg
zOskoaU.jpg
Fhl6XJ5.jpg
SXNIUQF.jpg
dRc5Ih5.jpg
pg4qzBK.jpg
XRBpjJD.jpg
zehgDyu.jpg
VRLWBUG.jpg
VzRSLmo.jpg
sL6swUW.jpg
2PUgsI5.jpg
8Rere8D.jpg
ZO2hgVv.jpg
PpU3t6E.jpg

GLOSSY!

11/21/2013 UPDATE:

I'm back from spaaaaace! Space. Space. And I've got a small update to show.

yv9Nv9G.jpg

The back panel I/O will offer better airflow and matches the front panel as well

WC7WmDE.jpg

Looks great. A nice re-interpretation (still looks like an Apple to me though!) and it's always good to see something a bit different.
:thumbup:

Looks great. A nice re-interpretation (still looks like an Apple to me though!) and it's always good to see something a bit different.
:thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah, I know what you mean (about it still looking like an Apple), I guess what I'm really trying to do is get rid of the Apple branding and logos and replace them with Aperture Science branding instead. So far that has worked out at least.

Haha nice job with the startup audio, my system would have been fully booted by the time that apple chime went off.

Amazing work. This is the first confirmed method that I've seen using alcohol to get rid of the silver paint inside.

Thanks! The key is to be patient. It takes hours for the alcohol to break down the bonding, once that happens, you can wipe it out with a regular sponge. If you find yourself scrubbing, just put it back in the bath and let it sit. Also, keep in mind: 99% Isopropyl Alcohol is extremely flammable. Make sure there isn't any chance of a spark or open flame anywhere near that. I used about a dozen small bottles of the stuff and I'm sure it would "light up my life" if it caught fire.

Haha nice job with the startup audio, my system would have been fully booted by the time that apple chime went off.

No kidding? What's your setup? I'm guessing SSD and a fast UEFI-enabled motherboard? I'm still on the fence as far as components go. I've got the power supply and cooling worked out, but none of the core electronics have been determined. I was originally thinking of going Ivy Bridge but Haswell seemed to be around the corner and now we've all been left hanging!

great mod..like the orange/white.

about the crackling color, maybe caused to changing room temperature? I had that several times.

..IN YOUR BEDROOM??? R U KIDDIN ???
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back