Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's Z77X-UP5 TH verified to work with Thunderbolt devices in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
thelostswede said:
We would like to hear from forum members using Asus, MSI or Intel motherboards with the single port DSL3310 Thunderbolt controller that have tried to attach a Thunderbolt device, as currently we don’t know if the DSL3310 Thunderbolt controller is compatible with OS X or not and it would be good to have some confirmations as to whether or not it works.

IT WORKS!!!
Hot swap doesn't (same deal as the 3510s), but I tested it with the gigabit ethernet adapter and it works!

Any tricks to getting this to work? I plugged in Apple's Ethernet adapter and a Pegasus RAID into this board, and no luck. Tried both 10.7.4 and 10.8.

Z77X-UP5 TH OoB?

So do I understand correctly? This motherboard is another one of Gigabyte's that works 'out of box' with Hackintosh (except hot-swappable ThunderBolt)? No DSDTs, kexts, or other hackery needed?

Any tricks to getting this to work? I plugged in Apple's Ethernet adapter and a Pegasus RAID into this board, and no luck. Tried both 10.7.4 and 10.8.

Did you plug them in before you powered the system on? As that's the only thing you should have to do and it just works.

So do I understand correctly? This motherboard is another one of Gigabyte's that works 'out of box' with Hackintosh (except hot-swappable ThunderBolt)? No DSDTs, kexts, or other hackery needed?

Pretty much yes, but you do need a handful of kexts to get audio and ethernet working, as well as FakeSMC which is still required.

Thats big news! Hopefully, the same level of compatibility will be achieved from cheaper main boards. The Z77X-UP5 TH is one expensive main board.

Pretty much yes, but you do need a handful of kexts to get audio and ethernet working, as well as FakeSMC which is still required.

Thank you for answering. =) I'm a noob, and I'm trying to minimize my chances for things to go wrong while building my first computer; let alone my first Hackintosh. I'm not totally clear on what DSDTs are (nor kexts, for that matter), but I understand that less needed = better, right? I've read the wiki and handfuls of forum threads, but definitions don't really give you an idea of what things are in practice.

Anyway, thanks again for answering. Good to know that this Mobo has working audio & ethernet. I'll have to look into FakeSMC to find out what that is. =/

Are there other motherboards that are more compatible / easier to use for Hacks than this one? Say the GA-Z77X-UD5H?

Thank you for answering. =) I'm a noob, and I'm trying to minimize my chances for things to go wrong while building my first computer; let alone my first Hackintosh. I'm not totally clear on what DSDTs are (nor kexts, for that matter), but I understand that less needed = better, right? I've read the wiki and handfuls of forum threads, but definitions don't really give you an idea of what things are in practice.

Anyway, thanks again for answering. Good to know that this Mobo has working audio & ethernet. I'll have to look into FakeSMC to find out what that is. =/

Are there other motherboards that are more compatible / easier to use for Hacks than this one? Say the GA-Z77X-UD5H?

Everything you need is included in the MultiBeast.
Do a User DSDT install (without a DSDT which might be a bit counter-intuitive) as you don't really need one except for a few special reasons like HDMI audio, but that's a different subject altogether.
Select System Utilities, under audio you select Realtek ACL8xx and then the ALC898 under Non-DSDT HDAenabler (not the rollback) and ALC898 in the Patched AppleHDA option below (which I forgot the name of), FakeSMC (it's just a tick box), the AppleIntelE1000 Ethernet and a system profile like Mac Mini or Mac Pro 3,1. The Mac Mini seems to work better with onboard graphics.
Those are the basics that you need to install, also don't forget to install the latest Chimera before you reboot, as this is the boot loader and currently a separate install for your platform.

And no, there aren't really any easier boards, the UD5H is very similar, although currently the audio seems to work better on the UP5 TH for some reason, i.e. you get three outputs vs two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back