Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's Z490 Motherboard Lineup Shows Up Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I understand correctly, the PCIex gen. 4.0 support will come only with the future 11th Intel Rocket Lake generation of CPUs. At this point it's better to wait till 2021... and to move towards Ryzen... if they will be supported in MacOS.
the next year Apple release ARM Mac’s... We don’t know if is the end of hackintosh

There are quite a few AQC107 based PCI-e cards around. I use one from Syba and it work OOB. No additional drivers needed.

That'd be nice...if I could find one. The only two OOB capable cards are the Syba and Aquantia/Marvell AQtion Gaming NICs (the latter being the black PCB one, not the green one). Neither are in stock anywhere other than eBay, where buying anything computer related is sketchy at best. :(

That'd be nice...if I could find one. The only two OOB capable cards are the Syba and Aquantia/Marvell AQtion Gaming NICs (the latter being the black PCB one, not the green one). Neither are in stock anywhere other than eBay, where buying anything computer related is sketchy at best. :(

The Synology one, the Sonnet one, and newer revisions of the Asus one are also OOB compatible.

Yeah, not keen on the Sonnet one. I could get the Synology if I'm desperate, but at $139 it isn't exactly el cheapo. Problem with the ASUS one is that you can't guarantee getting a newer version. How would you check prior to unpacking it anyway?

I'm curious what changes ASUS made, and if they did so on puprose to counter Apple's kext shenanigans with the device/vendor IDs.

Yeah, not keen on the Sonnet one. I could get the Synology if I'm desperate, but at $139 it isn't exactly el cheapo. Problem with the ASUS one is that you can't guarantee getting a newer version. How would you check prior to unpacking it anyway?

I'm curious what changes ASUS made, and if they did so on puprose to counter Apple's kext shenanigans with the device/vendor IDs.

I don't know what changed with the Asus one. I just got a report from one of the users from my Z390 build thread that his sample worked OOB. Older versions along with the Gigabyte GC-AQC107 only worked after a firmware flash from a very specific version of macOS and a KextsToPatch.

Well, since the Apple kext family looks for a specific vendor/ID, how much you want to bet that's what changed? It sure wasn't the controller. It either changed on Apple's end or on the hardware end. Probably the latter if they figured out the flashing process and how to properly set it up on their end first.

Well, since the Apple kext family looks for a specific vendor/ID, how much you want to bet that's what changed? It sure wasn't the controller. It either changed on Apple's end or on the hardware end. Probably the latter if they figured out the flashing process and how to properly set it up on their end first.

I doubt it Asus would change VID/PID just to circumvent macOS checks. Also, why doesn't Apple block the VID/PIDs of the other cards?

Plus, Asus hasn't released any firmware updates for older revisions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back