Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
1.jpg
Gigabyte's upcoming lineup of Intel 400 Series Z490 motherboards has showed up online early. The leak includes pictures and some motherboard specs including future PCIe Gen 4.0 support and compatibility with both Intel 10th Generation "Comet Lake" CPUs and future 11th Generation "Rocket Lake" CPUs. Products should start showing up in retail in late May or early June 2020.
5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg
gigabyte boards.jpg

Source:

Related:

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how macOS compatible those Intel 2.6GbE NICs will be.

If I understand correctly, the PCIex gen. 4.0 support will come only with the future 11th Intel Rocket Lake generation of CPUs. At this point it's better to wait till 2021... and to move towards Ryzen... if they will be supported in MacOS.

Only 2.5G on the Intel side for the NIC? Lame. I kind of wish I could have afforded the Z390 AORUS Extreme, since it has an Aquantia 10 GbE port on it, presumably natively supported in OS X as it is almost certainly using the AQC-107 controller. Sadly I can't find the NIC PCIe card itself from Aquantia (Mavell now) to save my life, as that would be a grand alternative.

Edit: Nevermind. It uses the AQC111C. Missed that until I saw the buyer's guide. Still...would be nice for high speed NAS.

But what I want more than anything with the 400 series is more than 16 PCIe lanes on mainstream systems. Until we get that, we're hobbled for PCIe expansion.

Only 2.5G on the Intel side for the NIC? Lame. I kind of wish I could have afforded the Z390 AORUS Extreme, since it has an Aquantia 10 GbE port on it, presumably natively supported in OS X as it is almost certainly using the AQC-107 controller. Sadly I can't find the NIC PCIe card itself from Aquantia (Mavell now) to save my life, as that would be a grand alternative.

Edit: Nevermind. It uses the AQC111C. Missed that until I saw the buyer's guide. Still...would be nice for high speed NAS.

But what I want more than anything with the 400 series is more than 16 PCIe lanes on mainstream systems. Until we get that, we're hobbled for PCIe expansion.

There are quite a few AQC107 based PCI-e cards around. I use one from Syba and it work OOB. No additional drivers needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back