Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's Z490 Motherboard Lineup Shows Up Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it becomes a problem for an ITX build, for sure.

It has such an easy workaround. What is the problem with using a PCI-e adapter or M-key M.2 slot adapter?
That's the point , if we can enable the port for M.2 then we don't need a work around and not even any kext (depending on the model use). Plus we have additional ports available for other hardware and the convenience of using the default WIFI antennas wires for a cleaner and better look. ;)

On ITX motherboards, if you have a video card, PCI-e is not an option. M-key M.2 adaptor is a waste of 4 lanes and limits you to one NVMe SSD.

Even on mATX motherboards, something like a non-reference 5700 XT can take up three PCI-e slots leaving just one useable slot. If the user has a Thunderbolt card, PCI-e is, again, not an option.

Besides that, it's also a lot cleaner using the antenna connectors from the backplate instead of the PCI-e plates.

I feel it's better to boycott manufacturers who place these artificial limitations on the slots. Go with Asus or ASRock until Gigabyte and MSI fix this.
I think the boycott is being happening already for a long time. The main reason is the lack of an option to unlock MSR since the days of Z170X series boards plus no option to swap CNVi for M.2 WIFI cards. Just look at all the post of builds by dates. You will notice that while long time ago Gigabyte boards use to be one of the most recommended due to their "freindly" UEFI/BIOS's, now it's a totally different scenario. They are no longer so popular like they use to be and now Asus is being use more frequently, plus Ashrock has a rock solid board with the new ASRock MB TRX40 Creator. MSI also now has some very interesting boards. Competition it's great because we are the ones who benefit more from this. If Gigabyte doesn't pays attention, specially with their UEFI/BIOS designs, there are going to keep being displace by other motherboard manufacturers that are paying attention to what the community wants.

While with Z390 it was still possible to use a card in an CNVi slot, it doesn't work anymore on Z490.
The only motherboard it works with is the Biostar maybe Asus aswell...
MSI,Gigabyte definitely not working. It has a feature to disable CNVi but it doesn't change anything.
Asus don't have an motherboard in mITX form factor which have all the features I need.

:sick:

Last edited:
On ITX motherboards, if you have a video card, PCI-e is not an option. M-key M.2 adaptor is a waste of 4 lanes and limits you to one NVMe SSD.

Even on mATX motherboards, something like a non-reference 5700 XT can take up three PCI-e slots leaving just one useable slot. If the user has a Thunderbolt card, PCI-e is, again, not an option.

Besides that, it's also a lot cleaner using the antenna connectors from the backplate instead of the PCI-e plates.

I feel it's better to boycott manufacturers who place these artificial limitations on the slots. Go with Asus or ASRock until Gigabyte and MSI fix this.

Hi everyone.

I have to ask: why would installing your Wifi card via M2 SSD be a waste of 4 lanes? If you don't have two M2 SSDs, isn't that 4 lanes already spare? I mean 16 lanes from CPU will be used by GPU and 24 lanes coming from chipset will be used for SSDs and built-in cards etc. I think there is not much you can do with all that PCH lanes in a mITX board.

I will be joining you with an Asus Z490-I mITX motherboard paired with an 10700k very soon I hope. I also ordered an BCM94360CS2 Wifi+BT card with NGFF M2 and M-key adapters weeks ago from China so I'll be installing it via one of the M2 SSD ports. Not sure when it arrives though.

Guys again:

You can't use an NGFFM2 even with an adapter over an M.2 SSD Port.

An M.2 keyed for SSDs are connected to an SSD controller. While a NVME M.2 is connected to the PCI-e buss directly. I think some boards have slots that can do both. But this is specific to a board not a standard feature.

An M.2 keyed for SSDs are connected to an SSD controller. While a NVME M.2 is connected to the PCI-e buss directly. I think some boards have slots that can do both. But this is specific to a board not a standard feature.

What Z490 motherboard has M.2 slots that are ONLY compatible with SATA???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back