Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's Thunderbolt Motherboards Live - Available Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently not yet, but as far as the Thunderbolt functionality, the two boards should be identical. But read my previous posts regards to the concerns for that specific board.

Apparently not yet, but as far as the Thunderbolt functionality, the two boards should be identical. But read my previous posts regards to the concerns for that specific board.

Yes wait Mountain Lion to validate VL800 Support :)

Is it just me and my potentially incompetent search ability, or is this board not yet sold in Australia?

The closest I could find was GA-Z77X-UD5H.

Is it just me and my potentially incompetent search ability, or is this board not yet sold in Australia?

The closest I could find was GA-Z77X-UD5H.

Apparently it's not available in oz yet :(

Progress!

mfoRzl.jpg

Excuse the mess. I'm moving. Put the motherboard in the case last night. Did just enough so I can put the computer in my car and drive 4 hours. I'll be reporting back soon!

mfoRzl.jpg

Excuse the mess. I'm moving. Put the motherboard in the case last night. Did just enough so I can put the computer in my car and drive 4 hours. I'll be reporting back soon!

Reporting with Mountain Lion :)

So now that the Z77X-UP5 TH is verified to work w/ 10.7.4 and Mountain Lion (tonymacx86.com - Gigabyte's Z77X-UP5 TH verified to work with Thunderbolt devices in OS X) I'm going to build my first computer/hackintosh. Did a bunch of research and am thinking of this. Sorry I didn't know how to link the entire shopping cart. Any advice or red flags as far as this build with this motherboard? I'd overlock a bit depending on how well the Noctua performs.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
Newegg.com - SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit
and for the case either:
Newegg.com - SilverStone Kublai Series SST-KL04B Black Plastic front panel, steel body ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
or
Newegg.com - Xigmatek MIDGARD II CCC-AM36BS-U01 Black Steel + Aluminum and Aluminum Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Parts I have include Nvidia GTX570, and GT120 if needed, 4 WD 7200 Black 2TB hard drives (RAID0), Monitors, etc. Went with a beefier power supply in case I upgrade the processor to IB-E or the graphics card in the future.

Are you expecting that you'll be able to use TB for display? If you want to use the GTX as GPU and output to TB, you should rethink that as it might not be possible...

The PSU is way over what you need, a 600-650W unit should be plenty, especially if it's from Seasonic.

And the above post is correct, the TB ports will only work with the integrated graphics in OS X, although it should be possible to use it simultaneously as a discrete card with some tweaking, although you'd be the first to try it.
If you want to use it with external storage devices, then you should be fine.

And the above post is correct, the TB ports will only work with the integrated graphics in OS X, although it should be possible to use it simultaneously as a discrete card with some tweaking, although you'd be the first to try it.
If you want to use it with external storage devices, then you should be fine.
Yea right now the thunderbolt is primarily for external storage or other fast devices in the future. Don't have a thunderbolt monitor so no big deal, but I didn't realize this would be a limitation. Is this the case for all hackintoshes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back