Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's Thunderbolt Motherboards Live - Available Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alfa147x said:
I'm hoping the 898 audio chip is as easy as it was on the MSI.

Did you have all the ports working? On my UD5H only the orange and black ports work. I don't know about the UP5 yet, but I'm making the assumption it's the same problem.

thelostswede said:
As for the power regulation, have a look here http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/312/i ... stage.html
The UP - unlike the UD - boards have a new feature called PowIRstage's which is a highly integrated MOSFET/driver solution

I see, you were referring to the Ultra Durable 5.

The UP4 is an Ultra Durable 5 board, like the UP5. I'm not considering the UD boards. It's difficult to keep them straight.

The naming scheme is a bit confusing, as the Z77X-UD5H isn't part of the Ultra Durable 5 series, it's "only" Ultra Durable 4...

The Z77MX-D3H TH which is the mATX Thunderbolt board is Ultra Durable 4 "classic" which uses a slightly cheaper PCB as it doesn't use the thicker copper layers (which are really only needed for overclocking), but it uses DrMOS/Lower RDS(on) MOSFET's, so it's not as if Gigabyte has used some really cheap stuff on that board. It's not really a board intended for overclockers either, but it shouldn't be a problem pushing your CPU a fair bit even on a board like that today, something that was unthinkable a few years ago.

I can't wait for you to try with ML. I was planning on ordering the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH but i am waiting to see if the thunderbolt ports work... For the audio i am not too worried, i got pretty good at manually coding VoodooHDA to make pretty much all the cards work. Ethernet i couldn't care less since i bought a PCI Ethernet Card that works OBB (Kitty & Mountain Kitty). Since it is a UEFI board, will it need PowerManagementNull kext?

And of course, the famous USB 3.0 ports. Which i wouldn't mind buying an external card for but we have to see what's compatible or if there's a way to make them all work. So it's a pretty risky board for now until we know what's working and not. Not mentioning the whole DSDT that has to be written... But still, i ordered my Mac Pro case :)

Waiting for more results on Mountain Kitty!! :)

EDIT: Almost forgot, thank you for reporting all of this :) Very appreciated. What can i say, i love people who helps me make better money-related decisions :p

1. Take a chill pill
2. Read, read, read.

You clearly have missed the previous 10 pages as well as the various other threads about Gigabyte's UEFI boards etc.

The only thing these boards need to work is FakeSMC and then maybe the audio and ethernet kexts and of course a boot loader. No DSDT, no nothing.
Again, the USB 3.0 ports work, as they're native to the chipset, I'm using them on my UD5H with the bridge helper, as it activates them in 10.7.4 alongside the IB CPU.

Anyhow, sit down and read up on how it all works, it's been covered in countless threads and it looks like the Z77X-UP5 TH is set to be a really decent hackintosh board.

IWillHackintosh said:
I can't wait for you to try with ML. I was planning on ordering the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH but i am waiting to see if the thunderbolt ports work... For the audio i am not too worried, i got pretty good at manually coding VoodooHDA to make pretty much all the cards work. Ethernet i couldn't care less since i bought a PCI Ethernet Card that works OBB (Kitty & Mountain Kitty). Since it is a UEFI board, will it need PowerManagementNull kext?

And of course, the famous USB 3.0 ports. Which i wouldn't mind buying an external card for but we have to see what's compatible or if there's a way to make them all work. So it's a pretty risky board for now until we know what's working and not. Not mentioning the whole DSDT that has to be written... But still, i ordered my Mac Pro case :)

Waiting for more results on Mountain Kitty!! :)

EDIT: Almost forgot, thank you for reporting all of this :) Very appreciated. What can i say, i love people who helps me make better money-related decisions :p

Are you retrofitting your hackintosh into a Mac Pro case, or was that just an expression? I'm kind of interested in doing that, but I'm not sure how well that would work out.

Noooooo!

Scheduled Delivery: Monday, 07/23/2012, :beachball:

Just ordered the UP5 TH. Next week my first Hackintosh will begin. Ready for my 2008 Mac Pro to be put to shame.

Alfa147x said:
Noooooo!

Scheduled Delivery: Monday, 07/23/2012, :beachball:

3 days : the motherboard
5 days : Mountain Lion

:D

thelostswede said:
Oddly enough, Gigabyte changed the Wi-Fi card that comes with the Z77X-UP5 TH slightly compared to the one that comes with the Z77X-UD5H, although it's just the PCI Express to mini PCI Express adapter that has changed, as the actual Wi-Fi card is the same Atheros module. It would be interesting to find out if anyone's using a half-size mini PCI Express card that works OOB with OS X that could be used to replace the non working Gigabyte Atheros card, or if anyone has some ideas as to how to make it work. Going to give the Bluetooth part another crack to see if I can make that work at least.

Ok, I got a quick question i'm not sure which to get the up4 or up5 i've read and i realised the UP4's audio works better while the UP5's audio is still problematic
Also i realise the ethernet on the up4 is realtek and on the up5 it's intel what's the difference and which is better?

thelostswede said:
There are three pin-headers for a total of six USB 2.0 ports on the board though, but you'd either need a case with extra USB 2.0 ports, or rear brackets with USB 2.0 ports to make them available.

what are rear brackets?

thelostswede said:
The UP5 also comes with a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card that we haven't had much luck with so far, but you could swap the actual card for something else.

So any luck with the combo card? because this may be a major determining factor in me either choosing UP4 or 5

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb questions this is my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back