Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's H77 mini-ITX board unveiled, of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to sell my old desktop to build a CustoMac Mini. The best guide I've seen is TonyMac's from 2011. The GA-H61N-USB3 MiniITX board is so far the only compatible board thats truly supported, with a DSDT available and everything.
Unlike the H61N board this board has a built in WiFi slot, so just pop in a native airport card if necessary.

For my purposes I was going to build it as a Guest/HTPC/Web browsing computer for my family and any friends that need to use a computer.
My friends are interested in this as well and would love to make it for them as a gift. But it would be a pain to tell them they have to use a USB WiFi adapter which we all know isn't stupendous on a hackintosh.

If there is any great compatible MiniITX motherboards with power management, sleep, restart working let me know in a response.

Hopefully its the same or lower priced than the H61N (about $80).

I have been trying to sell my old desktop to build a CustoMac Mini. The best guide I've seen is TonyMac's from 2011. The GA-H61N-USB3 MiniITX board is so far the only compatible board thats truly supported, with a DSDT available and everything.
Unlike the H61N board this board has a built in WiFi slot, so just pop in a native airport card if necessary.

For my purposes I was going to build it as a Guest/HTPC/Web browsing computer for my family and any friends that need to use a computer.
My friends are interested in this as well and would love to make it for them as a gift. But it would be a pain to tell them they have to use a USB WiFi adapter which we all know isn't stupendous on a hackintosh.

If there is any great compatible MiniITX motherboards with power management, sleep, restart working let me know in a response.

Hopefully its the same or lower priced than the H61N (about $80).

Well, this board should be the same as Gigabyte's other 7-series boards in that it doesn't need a DSDT file. That said, you'll have some issues with Sandy Bridge CPU's and graphics, as you need to modify the drivers, but as I pointed out in an earlier reply, the Ivy Bridge Core i3 CPU's should be out sometime this quarter.

And no, this will not be cheaper than the H61N, as for one, it has a more expensive chipset and as the board has more features, included Wi-Fi card etc. it's going to be a fair bit more expensive.

im in love with this board <3

hi Swede why there is no chat room with the new website ?????????

I'm missing Thunderbolt and I don't need a second LAN port.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the DisplyPort to go toe-to-toe with the ASUS and Zotac offerings, but I can always get a discrete video card if I must. Either that or patch the ASUS board and run with it.

Actually having 2 LAN ports is kind of cool if you're using it as a server in conjunction with Parallels. Your Windows instance can have it's own assigned ethernet port. So if there are any Windows server applications you have to have, this is a nifty feature. That being said, I would still rather have DisplayPort. :p

Well, this board should be the same as Gigabyte's other 7-series boards in that it doesn't need a DSDT file. That said, you'll have some issues with Sandy Bridge CPU's and graphics, as you need to modify the drivers, but as I pointed out in an earlier reply, the Ivy Bridge Core i3 CPU's should be out sometime this quarter.

And no, this will not be cheaper than the H61N, as for one, it has a more expensive chipset and as the board has more features, included Wi-Fi card etc. it's going to be a fair bit more expensive.

Well theres always the Ivy Bridge i5 with the HD4000, even though its a bit pricey (about $230) and consumes 77w. That's great knowing a cheaper option will be available.

Hopefully the board will be in the low 100s. It would make no sense if it was $160.

and no DSDT? Does that mean when using UniBeast you just use the EasyBeast option?

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the DisplyPort to go toe-to-toe with the ASUS and Zotac offerings, but I can always get a discrete video card if I must. Either that or patch the ASUS board and run with it.

The patched rom for the ASUS board is pretty much selling me on it. I won't be ordering parts for another week or so, but unless Gigabyte comes outs with a Z77 board that is substantially lower in cost, I can't imagine it having such great advantage over the ASUS with a patched rom as to make the final cut for me. I am hoping the board specs are made public beforehand, though, just to do an actual comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back