i7-4790K
Graphics
2 x R9 280X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
I took these to help somebody else out with getting their Gigabyte Z97X UD5H Black Server Edition motherboard working. They may be of use to somebody else. They may be useful to me in case I trash my machine :D

These work very well on 10.10.4. I am not an expert in BIOS settings though, so any questions might be better addressed elsewhere...

IMG_0404.jpgIMG_0415.jpgIMG_0414.jpgIMG_0413.jpgIMG_0412.jpgIMG_0411.jpgIMG_0410.jpgIMG_0409.jpgIMG_0408.jpgIMG_0407.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0405.jpgIMG_0416.jpg

All the best,

Rob

These look good and are a great "backup" in case of the worst... or if starting new. I have a ZA97X-UD3H and this is a great reference.

Question for you: On the 6th screen shot (under Peripherals) you have the Audio Controller as "Disabled". Is that intentional?

e

Yes that is deliberate. I have an external USB audio device which drives some small decent speakers, Audio engine AE1's from memory.

Thus gets round all the hassles of audio kexts and sounds better anyway.

Rob

This is very usefull

Do you not have a cd rom drive? I think I am having troubles with mine, I can't get the iboot to load. Beside the entry software preserve instead of supported it has N/A for my drive, but it is listed as the first boot drive.

Mmm....missed the post, so apologies for lateness of reply.

Yes I have a CD-ROM, its a cheap SATA LG DVD-ROM. Can't remember the last time I used it.

I had no issues installing or using it.

Rob

Thanks for your response to my question about the best settings for the ga-Z87X-UD5H
Your screen grabs will be perfect for my need. I have the +i7 4770K CPU but the difference shouldn't matter. Now I have to print out all the screen grabs any read them. That was a great idea for a backup.
What confuses me most about the bios on my motherboard is the uefi stuff.n FYI my Bios is F5. I haven't updated it YET because of the warning don't update UNLESS there is a problem. The changes in the newrer BIOS versions seem focused at performance.

Thanks for your response to my question about the best settings for the ga-Z87X-UD5H
Your screen grabs will be perfect for my need. I have the +i7 4770K CPU but the difference shouldn't matter. Now I have to print out all the screen grabs any read them. That was a great idea for a backup.
What confuses me most about the bios on my motherboard is the uefi stuff.n FYI my Bios is F5. I haven't updated it YET because of the warning don't update UNLESS there is a problem. The changes in the newrer BIOS versions seem focused at performance.

The i74790K required a new BIOIS when I brought it at the beginning of this year. The turboboost wasn't properly supported, so I'd check carefully what you need. The upgrade was painless.

Rob

The i74790K required a new BIOIS when I brought it at the beginning of this year. The turboboost wasn't properly supported, so I'd check carefully what you need. The upgrade was painless.

Rob

How did you know that you need a newer bios than the one that came with the motherboard? Was that listed on the Gigabyte site or elsewhere?

How did you know that you need a newer bios than the one that came with the motherboard? Was that listed on the Gigabyte site or elsewhere?

Because the Turboboost for the K series 4790 would not work. It had to be disabled in the BIOS. The BIOS issue manifested itself when you ran Windows or a Mac for more than a couple of minutes. The PC would crash (a real proper crash). It had all the symptoms of memory failure but wasn't.

A quick Google for this showed the problem to be the Turboboost. Initially disabling it in the BIOS brought stability. Further checking showed my board had an older BIOS and a newer one from Gigabyte explicitly mentioned the fix for K series CPU's. No big deal. Newer boards may well have the right BIOS.

Mine has been stable and performant all year. I do massive database transactions on it, some SQL runs take 3-4 days and use up all 32GB of memory. The machine has never missed a beat.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back