Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z87N wifi + Catalina, flawless except Sleep and Wake problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello !

I posted a similar thread in the SSDT sub forum with more screenshots in case my issue has to do with SSDT patching, although i'm not sure because it didn't solve it.

This is actually my fourth hackintosh build using the same hardware

GA z87n wifi
i7 4790k
iGPU HD4600

i've used the vanilla method in the past and unibeast/multibeast in the more distant past, this time, i thought i would give the beast a go again because why not, i keep reading on these forums that now there isn't much difference in doing this from the vanilla method, also, everytime i do this it's like relearning everything from scratch because my normal occupation is far from computers so i got ample time to forget everything, also keep in mind that i'm not well versed in computer stuff but i'm patient.

Catalina Unibeast :
installation this time took... basically worked right from the start, wow ! happy feelings.

used Multibeast to get the proper kexts
added two more from a forum to get bluetooth working with an half pci-e card i got that on eBay that is apple compatible, bluetooth and WIFI now working awesome even though the middle lead isn't connected to an antenna, i guess my router is close enough or something like that.

clover folder kexts :

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 3.57.20 PM.png

now the bad :

so when the build was first booted (yesterday), i tried sleep and wake, it worked which is something i never managed to make work with these components in every other build (yosemite, el capitan, high sierra), so i was really happy but didn't get back to that because i was excited to install all my software, i thought maybe it's something to do with catalina that finally makes it work without much trouble.

today though, the build has gone back to its familiar never wakes from sleep so must be rebooted.

so i decided to look into creating a custom patched SSDT as i had not done that in the past, followed this guide :

Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management​

using the patched file, it didn't fix my sleep and wake problem, but :

before SSDT :

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 3.47.04 PM.png

after SSDT :

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 3.43.34 PM.png

so yeah, after the SSDT is patched i can't even set the sleeping so had to manually use the sleep function to test this, but no luck still had to reboot.

so how do i get working sleep ? this would be the ultimate achievement for this build as i never succeeded with this step, here is also an attached copy of my config.plist.

Thank you so much !

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 30
i think i have working cpu power management now which didn't solve the sleep and wake bugs, for added clarity what happens is when i select sleep, the computer goes to sleep for about 4 seconds, then wakes but with low fan speed and no image, when i click on the mouse or press a key on the keyboard, the fan starts spinning fast, monitor is pitch black but lit, nothing appears on it until i reboot.

so i'm looking into pm for usbinjectall, kind of lost with this one, couldn't find a guide that i'm comfortable following yet.

new update, i used hackintool to create a map that only makes use of these ports, basically now i have two usb ports that are out of service if you may, but that's fine i have plenty and need little, exported USBports.kext and replaced USBinjectall for it, disabled the usb port patches in config.plist and also deleted the power management files from library/preferences (just in case).

still no luck, goes to sleep, wakes up almost immediately and stays on black lit screen, fans go loud... system is stuck so i reboot...

not sure what else to try.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 12.56.33 AM.png

more updates, i turned off xhci in the bios, made all my USB3 ports disappear but still don't get a working wake after sleep, so i guess my problem hasn't to do with USB afterall, is that assessment right ?

No, the only time you could definitely say that is if none of the USB ports are populated with a Bluetooth module, mouse or keyboard and the system still has the instant wake issue.

USB wake calls are the most common cause for broken sleep on a Hack.

From the image above it seems you are not using the 'Change EHC1 to EH01' and 'Change EHC2 to EH02' rename patches. You should also be using a 'Change XHCI to XHC_' rename patch for the USB3 ports. My two Z87 systems both need these three rename patches.

If you are using CLOVER to boot your system then the rename patches look like this in Clover Configurator:

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 23.19.31.png

Close up of Rename Patches:
Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 23.16.08.png

You do not need to generate an SSDT for CPU power management with a Haswell or newer CPU.
Under Generate Options > PluginType=true this will enable native CPU Power Management in macOS with the click of a mouse.

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 23.19.22.png
Option for CPU Power Management for Haswell or newer CPU's

If you add this option to your config.plist you can remove the SSDT from the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

What does the Hackintool window show when you have the system setup for USB port discovery, including the rename patches above, USBInjectAll.kext installed to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and your current USBPorts.kext removed? With the USB3 ports enabled in the Bios, how many ports show in the window?

If you are using OpenCore this is how these rename patches appear in ProperTree.

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 23.28.16.png USB Rename patches in /OC/config.plist viewed in ProperTree

Hello Edhawk, thanks for you detailed response,

I did the proposed changes to my clover config :
I did not have a patch in the drop down menu for XHCI so I entered it manually.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 2.02.16 PM.png

with using pluginType checked, I seem to get similar power management, which from my inexperienced perspective seems to be always a bit in the top, the lowest core freq I've seen is 3.0, when I just had it working it had more variance, but after a couple of reboots it resorts to this :

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 2.01.48 PM.png

these are the ports that show in Hackintool once I have usbinjectall instead of usbports kext :

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 2.01.38 PM.png

As with Sleep function, since checking pluginType and removing my custom SSDT didn't change its behaviour, and when I retracted my USBports.kext, now my computer won't go into sleep without waking (still black screen though).

the Sleep behaviour I was getting before, just for clarity's sake is it would sleep fine (I think) but waking it results in a the monitor lighting up but remaining black and the fans spinning until reboot, then kernel panic message is shown.

EDIT :

I realized I still had AppleIntelCPUPM checked for some reason, I must have rechecked it in my testing, power management as show in intel Power Gadget seem much better now, getting as low as 2.0 frequency sometimes.

I've also redone the USBports.kext procedure because the results in Hackintool with the proposed patches from Edhawk had the USB tab populated with different names from the USB ports (the 2.0 ones)
It seems the ACPI rename patches have the USB 2.0 ports now labeled in the name column as HP13 to HP16 + HP 23 and HP24 instead of HS01 through HS06.

so I redid it to see if it would do anything, I am down to 15 entries now, but sleep isn't resolved, although it tries to wake right after sleep, so slightly different.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 3.05.13 PM.png

Last edited:
EDIT 2 :

what is "change GFX0 to iGPU" do ? I've turned it off and back on but I don't notice any difference in my build, do I get proper iGPU PM without it ?

also, is there a way to completely disable bluetooth/wifi card from my build ? I would like to try to put the system to sleep without it to see if it is a culprit in my sleep/wake troubles but I don't want to remove it physically from my motherboard because one of the antenna cables is messed up and could break so I'd rather not take the chance if I don't need to.

thank you !

The change GFX0 to IGPU, change PEGP to GFX0 and change HECI to IMEI are three rename patches related to graphics setups, that WhateverGreen.kext (WEG) now covers. You don't need any of these three rename patches and some others if you are using WhateverGreen.kext. See this Intel HD manual FAQ page for WEG - https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

Read the top sections up to the first CPU heading, this gives you a better understanding of what the kext does and what it incorporates.

There are a few other rename patches that AppleALC.kext covers - https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Installation-and-usage. Again read this page to have a better understanding of what AppleALC.kext incorporates and how it can be best used.

If it is the built-in WiFi/BT that came with the motherboard you want to disable, then there should be an option in the Bios to disable them, probably under Peripherals or something similar.

You can disable the Bluetooth by excluding USB port HP25 from the USBPorts.kext. Which may be easier than messing around in the Bios.

Thanks for the clarifications Edhawk, hopefully at some point I'll have done this enough times to feel more confident, I did further testing regarding power management, I deleted the pm preference files in library/preferences and rebooted using an old config.plist WITHOUT the customer SSDT I had made and WITHOUT pluginType=true and guess what... I get what appears to be BETTER power management, not sure why but here are some screen shots of my computer left idle for a bit on the left is with plugintype=1 and right is without. I now basically get usable lower frequencies.

For these tests I did set my SMBIOS to iMac 15,1 in both instead of 14,2.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.22.33 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back