Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z87 mobos freeze when using 4 healthy sticks of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

This appears to be a widespread problem generally (not only to hackintosh).

Many users have reported having random system crashes when populating all ram slots in their GA-Z87 mother boards. I have a Z87X-UD5H with a 4x8Gb ram kit and I'm having this problem:

-When using 4 sticks of ram, the system freezes randomly a couple times per day.
-Using one, two or even three sticks, solves the problem.
-Ram has been tested with memtest86 and with no errors.
-My ram is 32Gb of g.skill at 2400Mhz 1.65v, but problems have been reported with sticks of other brands and specs.
-RMA'ing the RAM or swapping the PSU has not fixed the problem for the majority of people with this problem.
-Lowering RAM Speed, relaxing timings and or increasing DRAM voltage has also not fixed the problem.

Gigabyte has suggested solutions such as disabling some C-State options in the bios, which I'm currently testing.

Anyone else having this problem here? (Any z87 mobo freezing randomly when using all RAM slots with perfectly healthy RAM)

I have the very same board, when I bought it last July...it came with F6. From day one after I finished building and installed windows 8 as there were no OS X for Haswell yet. It crashed right after, boom BSOD! Shortly after I got F7 in July, things improved a bit, still it continued crash, crash, Crash! I was miserable those months, I finally took out two of the sticks after, ran Mavericks that way because I would get constant freezing with four sticks. I was excited to use F8 because I thought that would fix it, but you've guessed it, still the occasional freezing. I noticed when I went back in the BIOS after a freeze, the memory settings were altered to some strange settings, the timings were 10-11-11-29 @ 1600. I am guessing it's some sort of auto tuning that caused the memory timings to shift in that weird way. Just a couple of weeks ago, I tried F9a. It seems that's the best thing ever because I couldn't freeze it no matter what I tried. I was actually trying to, just to make sure there are no more bugs. Hopefully this is resolved when F9 become final. The system is much more stable and robust when running F9a, things are looking good.

p.s.

I am using G. Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 @ 1.50V. Using F9a, I was able to O.C. them to 1866MHz 9-10-9-30 @ 1.575V, it ran pretty stable.

Hi guys,
I have the same problem using F8 bios and 4x2GB...
Sometimes freezing few times per day, even if you just browsing web.
Just put beta F9a bios - let's see if it will help for me?
Hopefully,
I let you know

Flashed F9 final => 3 BSOD in one day!
Flashed back to F9a and waiting F10.

Although labeled Beta, F9a never failed on my board and other ppl also (read all this topic and: http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/1241...d-uefi-updates-2014-01-24-a-4.html#post766909)

F9 "stable" crashed my rig 3 times, the same day i've flashed; Enough to go back to F9a.

WARNING: You cannot downgrade BIOS from Q-Flash or Efiflash, only with FPT and it will wipe your MAC address.
To restore it, you must do some hexedit in the bios, and add your MAC before you flash with FPT.
Waiting for some masochistic individual to go F9a > F9 > F9a and validate that F9 crashes.

I thought it was just me, but I am up to about 8 freezes with F9. When I used F9a, it was flawless for our discussion, I tried to freeze the system on purpose, and I couldn't. I am not really sure what happened in the release of F9, but I sure hope that this bug wasn't put it in when they released it. Like d0d0 said, you can't even go back to F9a with the standard UEFI utilities, I have tried. It just sucks when you're knee deep in work, and you never know when your system is going to lock up on you. Several occasions, I have had many windows open working, and here comes the freeze leaving me to reset, and find back my place in what I was doing. Not to mention, I have to connect back to my remote sessions, and killed the old ones that's left hanging. Bleh.

Although labeled Beta, F9a never failed on my board and other ppl also (read all this topic and: http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/1241...d-uefi-updates-2014-01-24-a-4.html#post766909)

F9 "stable" crashed my rig 3 times, the same day i've flashed; Enough to go back to F9a.

WARNING: You cannot downgrade BIOS from Q-Flash or Efiflash, only with FPT and it will wipe your MAC address.
To restore it, you must do some hexedit in the bios, and add your MAC before you flash with FPT.
Waiting for some masochistic individual to go F9a > F9 > F9a and validate that F9 crashes.

Beta F10, anyone brave enough to check it against our problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back