Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z490 Designare
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Vega 64
So I'm posting this from OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 installed on my Hackintosh. Feelin' pretty good about that! :headbang: I definitely owe a lot of it's successful completion to this site (and a ridiculous amount of google searches lol), so thanks immensely to everyone involved!

First things first, here's my PC's specs/connected devices:

Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h mobo
Intel i7 2600k
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Dual internal HDD's (250gb Win7, 1TB OSX), dual External HDD's (1TB Media, 3TB Backup)
Built in Intel HD3000 Graphics w/HDMI
Additional ATI Radeon X-1650 Pro PCIe Video Card (Dual Output, Triple Monitor configuration)
Startech PCUSB7 USB 2.0 Expansion PCI Card
Propellerheads Balance USB 2.0 Audio Interface connected via Startech card
Korg Kontrol 49 USB Midi Controller

So as I said, I've got Mavericks 10.9.4 running with everything seemingly working properly. This comp had an existing Windows 7 Install, so I installed a new HDD and put Mavericks on that. I'm using the latest Chameleon to boot downloaded from this site via the latest Multibeast (DSDT Free). Here's a list of what's good:

HD3000 including HDMI works with full acceleration
Atheros GBE Lan works
Sound with 5.1 output works
USB 3.0 works
Startech card works
Balance interface works
Korg Kontrol 49 works
iCloud, iMessage, AppStore updates all work

My first question is, does anyone know if it's possible to get the ATI card working on Mavericks 10.9.4? I found a slew of various kexts for it and none of them work, or it just won't load them. I couldn't seem to find enough instances of people trying to use this card with Mavericks to figure it out. The card is recognized as:

"Display"
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c1
Revision ID: 0x009e
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

My second question is, randomly, maybe 1 out of every 8-10 boots, I get weird kernel panics and I can't seem to figure out why. I snapped photos of 2 different ones, hopefully one of you can decipher what's going on and help me solve it! Screenshots (uploads disoriented for some reason):
IMG_6394.jpgIMG_6396.jpg

Thanks so much in advance! This was a fun project to work on and figure out. :D

In the dim past when I set up my first Hackintosh using a 2600k processor and an ATI video card on Snow Leopard there were two known stumbling blocks:
The first was avoiding kernel panic on the unlocked K processors, for which there are many sources of info.
The second issue involved that specific issue, the combination of an unlocked processor and an ATI card.
Overclocking is possible but even more unstable on the OSX than Windows side for essentially no tangible benefit so I gave up on that and have never bought another unlocked processor.
The solution was a kext substitution for the ATI card but sadly I do not recall where I got that info. The "Kext beast" application for kext substitution is still on my desktop. I believe the problem persisted in Mountain Lion but I had to go through no such machinations to install Maverick. The latter apparently has better built in ATI support?
I like ATI cards but for a variety of reasons, mostly the Windows side of the computer, I switched to an Nvidia 760 a while ago: the Maverick side booted up with no change of anything and then I installed the Nvidia driver from their website. This machine is more stable than my Retina notebook, which I had to restore just last week because it would not boot for who knows what reason.
The most important advice when you are starting is that once you achieve a stable OSX configuration back it up with Time Machine immediately. It is easier to restore than reinstall.

Thanks for the tips! I'll def research the kernel panics and make sure I solve it being related to my unlocked processor, and backup my install. I don't want to have to buy a new video card unless I have to...I know this card has run on previous versions of OSX successfully, so I'm not ready to give up yet...

Does anyone have the Radeon x1650 Pro running on Mavericks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back