Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Oh, using the red USB 3.2 seemed to start up the installer... I'll try to install now and come back here.

It simply seems to work. I would never have guessed that the BIOS would cause such sort of a problem...
exploring the new system now. I'll be back if there's more problems ;)

Thanks for the help!

I think its because when using the AMDRadeonNavi2xExt.kext its showing Device ID:0x73af instead of Device ID:0x73bf.so when using the ssdt-brgo and device/property device-id BF730000 vda is fully supported.apple tv
vda decoder all working
Great explanation, thanks!
The kext augments the Radeon driver by declaring the device IDs of 6900XTXH, 6950XT and 6650XT, with the corresponding framebuffers and other properties so that the driver also attaches to these cards. It leaves the device ID unchanged, but the video decoder still looks for the device ID of supported cards and does not attach to unknown cards.

So back to spoofing device ID for full functionality.

Great explanation, thanks!
The kext augments the Radeon driver by declaring the device IDs of 6900XTXH, 6950XT and 6650XT, with the corresponding framebuffers and other properties so that the driver also attaches to these cards. It leaves the device ID unchanged, but the video decoder still looks for the device ID of supported cards and does not attach to unknown cards.

So back to spoofing device ID for full functionality.
the good thing about using the kext is if I put my 6900xtxh in a Thunderbolt 3 Razer Core X eGPU box to use on my NUC10, it works the ssdt and device properties didn't.

the good thing about using the kext is if I put my 6900xtxh in a thunderbolt 3 razer core x egpu box to use on my NUC10 it works the ssdt and device properties didn't.
Thank you for confirming this!!

Hey Thanks etorix this is great news :clap:
That is not a proper solution, however, because it eliminates the standard Thunderbolt device tree and also prevents hot plug.

That is not a proper solution, however, because it eliminates the standard Thunderbolt device tree and also prevents hot plug.
No but I think this and the AMDRadeonNavi2xExt.kext is the only way to get the 6900XTXH to work in Thunderbolt EGPU

Fix - Sleep/Wake on BIOS F22
Although sleep/wake worked after reverting back to BIOS F8, version F22 seems to support my RAM better (4x8GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 4400); especially when overclocking.

I decided to try jumping back to BIOS F22 and see if it would fail again after setting all the BIOS options in order to boot; and it did. Before doing so, I thought I had enabled Re-size BAR support since I'm running a 6900 XT and my config is set for Re-size BAR support, but I was not able to boot. That is because I forgot that in version F8, Re-size BAR Support is visible but hidden in F22 until you set Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. After testing sleep/wake and it failing once again after jumping to F22, i went back into BIOS and looked at the description text when selecting Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. That setting seems to have a dependency on Aperture Size in that according to the description it is enabled automatically when Aperture Size is set to 2048MB. I decided to check what my max value is for Aperture Size and saw that the default value was 256MB. I bumped it up to the max value to 1024MB, saved the changes and booted up.

Increasing Aperture Size from the default of 256MB seems to have done the trick and I'm no longer experience the sleep/wake issue that I was having earlier on BIOS F22 and that made a difference.

I've attached some screenshots of the BIOS settings for reference.
Hi there @CaseySJ , @beelzebozo

I've currently under testing a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX with an Intel i7-13700KF and a Sapphire RX580. The mobo's BIOS version is the initial one, F2. In this BIOS have the Re-size BAR support but I don't have the Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment and, consequently, I don't have the Aperture Size either.

I'm experimenting a second cycle sleep/wake failure: it doesn't go to sleep and I have an instant wake or (it depends on whether I've cleaned the NVRAM or not) a crash (CPU fans go up, dark monitor and I have to reset). The first cycle of sleep/wake is working perfectly: monitor goes off and after ~30sec both the CPU and GPU fans go off.
Any hint on the instant wake on the second cycle? I upload my config too.

I'm a newbee in Gigabyte motherboards. It seems to me that their BIOS is quite different from ASUS's, and it's less sophisticated ... so maybe I'm making some mistakes. I've just added my bootleg because I'm not sure all the ACPI tables are correctly loaded.

230327213240.jpg

Attachments

• config.plist
    26.4 KB · Views: 22
  • bootlog.txt.zip
    25.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi there @CaseySJ , @beelzebozo

I've currently under testing a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX with an Intel i7-13700KF and a Sapphire RX580. The mobo's BIOS version is the initial one, F2. In this BIOS have the Re-size BAR support but I don't have the Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment and, consequently, I don't have the Aperture Size either.

I'm experimenting a second cycle sleep/wake failure: it doesn't go to sleep and I have an instant wake or (it depends on whether I've cleaned the NVRAM or not) a crash (CPU fans go up, dark monitor and I have to reset). The first cycle of sleep/wake is working perfectly: monitor goes off and after ~30sec both the CPU and GPU fans go off.
Any hint on the instant wake on the second cycle? I upload my config too.

I'm a newbee in Gigabyte motherboards. It seems to me that their BIOS is quite different from ASUS's, and it's less sophisticated ... so maybe I'm making some mistakes. I've just added my bootleg because I'm not sure all the ACPI tables are correctly loaded.

View attachment 565061
Update the BIOS and check.

Back