Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Several reasons for choosing MacPro7,1 over iMacPro1,1 for any new build:

Reason 1:
  • iMacPro1,1 was released in late 2017
  • MacPro7,1 was released in mid 2019
  • This means MacPro7,1 can be supported for a longer period of time (i.e. iMacPro1,1 will be retired by Apple before MacPro7,1)
Reason 2:
  • Our desktop systems are composed of:
    • Separate tower for computer
    • Separate monitor
    • In other words, our Hackintosh systems are not all-in-one units
  • Mac Pro is the only current Intel-based system from Apple that comes in two pieces
    • (Mac Studio is not Intel-based)
    • In About this Mac we therefore see an image of a mini-tower
Both iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 have automatic updates working just fine. The only issue is incremental downloads of those updates instead of full downloads.
  • On iMacPro1,1 we get incremental downloads when RestrictEvents is enabled
  • On MacPro7,1 we get incremental downloads when RestrictEvents is disabled or when RestrictEvents is enabled with the revpatch arguments presented earlier (cpuname,sbvmm,asset)
Please put this info in Post #1. Otherwise, I'll have to print it out. (Oh, no! Mr. Bill.)

I'm currently running my system as an iMacPro1,1.

Which version of macOS are you running?

Did i225-V work in previous version of macOS?

If there are multiple EFI partitions, is the system booting from the correct partition?

In IOReg, what are the sub-vendor ID and sub-vendor device ID?
Thanks! @CaseySJ

Which version of macOS are you running? 13.1

Did i225-V work in previous version of macOS? YES.

If there are multiple EFI partitions, is the system booting from the correct partition? YES. Multiple EFI partitions (WIN11, Ubuntu, Hacktinosh), when boot in, the system will show OC picker, so I think boot from the correct partition.

1673201499238.png

Guys. The system is on DDR5. On BIOS F6 everything works, it boots. Attempting to update BIOS to a newer version stops booting at the very beginning. I think it's even before the kernel is loaded. Maybe I don't understand something about these new systems?

Several reasons for choosing MacPro7,1 over iMacPro1,1 for any new build:
Fair points. But iMacPro1,1 has some benefits:
  • iMacPro1,1 does not need RestrictEvents.kext (no RAM configuration issues, no incremental upgrade issues).
  • iMacPro1,1 allows to go back to Mojave and run 32-bit application/plugins.
As for the end of support… nobody knows outside of Apple. The W-2100B Xeons in the iMacPro actually share their CPUID with the W-3200 Xeons in the MacPro7,1 so there's little technical base to discriminate against the iMacPro. My own guess is that Apple will just retire both iMacPro and MacPro at the same time, namely when Intel support is discontinued—but that's just my totally uninformed guess.

Last edited:
Thanks! @CaseySJ

Which version of macOS are you running? 13.1

Did i225-V work in previous version of macOS? YES.

If there are multiple EFI partitions, is the system booting from the correct partition? YES. Multiple EFI partitions (WIN11, Ubuntu, Hacktinosh), when boot in, the system will show OC picker, so I think boot from the correct partition.

Please try adding the attached SSDT to your OpenCore configuration:
  • Copy file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder
  • Add entry to config.plist -> ACPI section
Does it help?

Attachments

• SSDT-I225V-GA-Z690-AERO-G.aml
    169 bytes · Views: 28
Guys. The system is on DDR5. On BIOS F6 everything works, it boots. Attempting to update BIOS to a newer version stops booting at the very beginning. I think it's even before the kernel is loaded. Maybe I don't understand something about these new systems?
Which version of BIOS are you trying to install? There's a note at the top of Post 1 stating that BIOS F20 and F21 should not be installed.

Thanks. I just tried your method, both PCI and Ethernet sections are showing the info, but still not working.
Sorry to hear it's not working.

I just finished helping a friend build a Z690 using an i9-12000KF in an ASUS ProArt Creator mobo.

The I225V worked whether DevProp was injected or not (but when injected the SystemInfo looked better). We doubled checked activity by using only one Ethernet cable in either the I225V or the AQC113 port (with WiFi disabled). This is what I'm now seeing on my mobo too (I cannot from experience comment on the GB Z690 Aero G).

An easy indicator that the I225V port was functioning was simply looking at the output of the old Network Utility app (annoyingly, macOS removes it with every OS update). I've attached a copy as it was sourced from Mojave as I recall and maybe not so easily found.

When the "IP Address" section was populated, the port was active (only one cable was plugged into an Ethernet port at a time), as shown in the Spoiler below.

Aquantia Port (cable unplugged):
AQC113-not connected.png

Aquantia Port (cable moved from I225V to Aquantia port):
AQC113-connected.png

I225-V Port (cable unplugged):
I225V-not connected.png

I225-V Port (cable moved from Aquantia port to I225V port):
I225V-connected.png

Apparently I225V problems are rampant even on the Windows side due to buggy versions (from my readings, I225V rev 1 and 2 seem to be most problematic). I wonder if the GB Aero G has a different I225V version than the ASUS mobos.

Attachments

• Network Utility.app.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Which version of BIOS are you trying to install? There's a note at the top of Post 1 stating that BIOS F20 and F21 should not be installed.
I wrote again to Gigabyte on behalf of myself and all of us. I described that we have been working on their Titan Ridge motherboards for a year, and it can't be that after a year they refuse to support us. I mentioned that we have built dozens of such computer kits, and we can't change the controller in all of them to Maple Ridge, because Thunderbolt 4 is no longer compatible with many of the devices we work on. I received a reply:

"We appreciate your patient and understanding that this case needs further confirmation or examination. It may take some time for the whole procedure but we will keep you post as soon as there is any update available.

Regards,
GIGABYTE"
===

The pressure makes sense. We should all keep writing to them until they respond appropriately.
If someone hasn't written, or doesn't want to write, and cares about Thunderbolt 3 support on gigabyte z690 and z790 motherboards, then tell them the motherboard number.

Back