Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I added the warning as shown below -- assuming that the problem is with USB ports.

Edit: After reading a few of the posts above, it seems Thunderbolt section is missing from F20/F21 BIOS?? Still looking for a clear description of the problem...

View attachment 559181
Hello @CaseySJ, in the case of the Z690 Gaming X, the BIOS higher than the f8 version do not show controls in the BIOS for Thunderbolt. No setting appears to configure the card, it is as if it did not exist. In my case I have tried to connect a device on cold boot and doesn't recognize it either, at least on my motherboard.

Hello @CaseySJ, in the case of the Z690 Gaming X, the BIOS higher than the f8 version do not show controls in the BIOS for Thunderbolt. No setting appears to configure the card, it is as if it did not exist. In my case I have tried to connect a device on cold boot and doesn't recognize it either, at least on my motherboard.
Wow, this is very sad to see! Did Gigabyte say why they’re doing this? Is it intentional or is it a bug?

Wow, this is very sad to see! Did Gigabyte say why they’re doing this? Is it intentional or is it a bug?
I would like to know the reason, I'm just an inexperienced user, thinking wrongly. It could be that they want to avoid the use of additional thunderbolt cards (not integrated into the motherboard) to only give thunderbolt support to motherboards that integrate this technology. On the other hand, there is also the possibility that they "forgot" to support all BIOS versions after f8 (a bit strange...).

That's very good news, then; Aero G ddr5 Z790, with f2 BIOS works with flashed Thunderbolt card and recognizes the 13900k? I think I'm going to order a plate to start mounting it. @nottooshabby would you be so kind as to share your EFI and BIOS settings? I'm going to order two 16GB modules each G.skill 5600 CL36. What memory have you used? Thanks again.
I just posted my EFI and BIOS settings in the Z790 thread.

I just learnt the hard way that F21 does not work on the Z690 Aero G and Aero D. Could not log into MacOS including. Had to downgrade to F8 again to get back in

I added the warning as shown below -- assuming that the problem is with USB ports.

Edit: After reading a few of the posts above, it seems Thunderbolt section is missing from F20/F21 BIOS?? Still looking for a clear description of the problem...

View attachment 559186
The other issue is systems using F20 and F21 BIOS's crash when sleeping a second time. If the issue is like what I see on my Z790 Aero G, even after the first sleep the system may exhibit unusually high CPU temps.

View attachment 559186
Hi Casey,

I thought I would add my two cents in on the F21 BIOS. As of right now, sleep works fine, all apps are fine. Thunderbolt as a add in card, which is flashed thanks to you, shows in BIOS and works in Ventura. The only weird thing is the hot patch. If I eject a TB drive, it will not hot patch. If I just add another TB drive, it works. I have included shots of my BIOS settings as requested by some members of this tread.

EDIT: Hot Patch does seem to be working!!! Didn't work yesterday.

IMG_2489.jpeg
IMG_2490.jpeg
IMG_2491.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg
IMG_2493.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Casey,

I thought I would add my two cents in on the F21 BIOS. As of right now, sleep works fine, all apps are fine. Thunderbolt as a add in card which is flashes thanks to you, show in BIOPS in works in Ventura. The only weird thing is the hot patch. If I eject a TB drive it will not hot patch. If I just add another tb drive it works. I have included shots of my BIOS settings as requested by some members of the tread.View attachment 559270View attachment 559271View attachment 559272View attachment 559273View attachment 559274

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2497.jpeg
    IMG_2497.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2498.jpeg
    IMG_2498.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2499.jpeg
    IMG_2499.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Hi Casey,

I thought I would add my two cents in on the F21 BIOS. As of right now, sleep works fine, all apps are fine. Thunderbolt as a add in card, which is flashed thanks to you, shows in BIOS and works in Ventura. The only weird thing is the hot patch. If I eject a TB drive it will not hot patch. If I just add another tb drive it works. I have included shots of my BIOS settings as requested by some members of this tread.

EDIT: Hot Patch does seem to be working!!! Didn't work yesterday..
View attachment 559273
Thanks for posting that you are not having sleep issues, and you can see the Thunderbolt card. Why do you have your LAN controller and Audio controller disabled? Maybe that is a clue.

Thanks for posting that you are not having sleep issues, and you can see the Thunderbolt card. Why do you have your LAN controller and Audio controller disabled? Maybe that is a clue.
I had so much trouble with the LAN controller with crashing, poor speed that I installed a Realtek PCIe NIC which works perfectly. Since I did that, I have never had the crashing and sleep issues. The audio is disabled because I use a Focusrite Scarlett 414i as the audio interface for my sound work.

Back