Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Just a wee bit of improvement going from an RX6600XT to an RX6800XT on my Aero G Z690

Not sure why the single core score dropped while the multi core score stayed about the same? Oh well, this system is a beast!

Attachments

• z690_rx6800xt.png
    z690_rx6800xt.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 35
  • z690_aero_g.png
    z690_aero_g.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 36
Just a wee bit of improvement going from an RX6600XT to an RX6800XT on my Aero G Z690

Not sure why the single core score dropped while the multi core score stayed about the same? Oh well, this system is a beast!
Because an E-core might have been tapped for the single core score, it’s advisable to run GeekBench several times and average the two or three highest scores. One can also temporarily disable E-cores in BIOS and use the single score score from that test (but enable all cores for the multi-core score).

Hi All,

I'm having some issue with boot times on opencore .0.8.4. I have an SN850 drive. Apfstrimtimeout is set to 0, and it booted quickly on other version. Now it takes a good minute or more to boot into MacOS. Setting it to -1 also takes forever.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi All,

I'm having some issue with boot times on opencore .0.8.4. I have an SN850 drive. Apfstrimtimeout is set to 0, and it booted quickly on other version. Now it takes a good minute or more to boot into MacOS. Setting it to -1 also takes forever.

@fvklies

My Z690 Aero G, i9-12900K, RX 6800 XT, OC 0.8.4, SN750 SE 1TB, Monterey 12.6 and current Ventura public beta both boot in 16 seconds from the OC picker window to the Mac desktop. SetApfsTrimTimeout is set to 0.

There haven't been any boot time issues with any OC version for me.

@fvklies

My Z690 Aero G, i9-12900K, RX 6800 XT, OC 0.8.4, SN750 SE 1TB, Monterey 12.6 and current Ventura public beta both boot in 16 seconds from the OC picker window to the Mac desktop. SetApfsTrimTimeout is set to 0.

There haven't been any boot time issues with any OC version for me.
Thanks. Maybe there is a new firmware for my drive. I've been meaning to make a dual boot into Windows for the purpose of updated the drive firmware.

Hi All,

To check if trim is the issue, please try this command in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | grep 'trims took'

Last edited:
To check if trim is the issue, please try this command in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | grep “trims took”
The result is no such file or directory.

I wasn't implying that trim is the issue since I had the value at 0. The boot time is similar to when I have had trim enabled. I was curious if something changed in opencore. My memory does not remember this happening before OC .0.8.4.

When I upgraded using HackinDROM, I did not clear the prior OC backup. I was having issues and copied my OC folder. Luckily I did that because the upgrade process ended up wiping my EFI folders. Perhaps that copied EFI after starting the upgrade and before the wipe had some corruption that would explain the longer boot times.

The last OC version I fully backed up was .0.8.1. Any thoughts on this? Could I just replace .0.8.1 contents and do an upgrade back to .0.8.4?

The last OC version I fully backed up was .0.8.1. Any thoughts on this? Could I just replace .0.8.1 contents and do an upgrade back to .0.8.4?
@fvklies

You could put your last OC 0.8.1 EFI on a thumb drive's EFI partition, and hold down the F12 on reboot and pick the thumb drive's EFI to see if that boots your system. At the OC Picker check the lower right corner of the monitor to confirm the OC version being used for that boot is the correct one.

The result is no such file or directory.
Yikes, that is due to the iOS version of Safari using open-quote and close-quote characters. I've fixed that post now. It's still advisable to run that command.

I wasn't implying that trim is the issue since I had the value at 0. The boot time is similar to when I have had trim enabled. I was curious if something changed in opencore. My memory does not remember this happening before OC .0.8.4.

When I upgraded using HackinDROM, I did not clear the prior OC backup. I was having issues and copied my OC folder. Luckily I did that because the upgrade process ended up wiping my EFI folders. Perhaps that copied EFI after starting the upgrade and before the wipe had some corruption that would explain the longer boot times.

We can also look at the entire boot log and manually search for long time gaps. The entire boot log (up to a reasonable number of lines) can be generated like this:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -2000 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
This will create a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt.

Yikes, that is due to the iOS version of Safari using open-quote and close-quote characters. I've fixed that post now. It's still advisable to run that command.

We can also look at the entire boot log and manually search for long time gaps. The entire boot log (up to a reasonable number of lines) can be generated like this:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -2000 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
This will create a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt.
I reran the trims took command. It took a while but there was no output. I also looked at the boot log, and there were no significant delays. I'll try booting into an older OC when I get a chance to see if the issue is still there. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back