Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Anyone dual booting Windows and macOS with BIOS F8. I reset all the BIOS settings but the macOS NVMe doesn't show up in boot overrides, only Windows Management and no other UEFI.
It's been a while since I messed with BIOS after loading optimized defaults. Disabling Windows Boot Manager in BIOS loaded OC. So many things to remember :crazy: .

This just means:
  • BIOS F7 has a DMAR table, hence OpenCore succeeds in finding and deleting it
  • BIOS F8 does not have DMAR, hence OpenCore does not find it and reports an error because it cannot delete what does not exist
I don't think that is accurate. I updated to F8 and left the 2 DMAR options enabled and was able to boot just fine.

In fact, with my OC EFI on a USB I was able to boot with them disabled to test. That seemed to cause my WIFI to get disabled.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I messed with BIOS after loading optimized defaults. Disabling Windows Boot Manager in BIOS loaded OC. So many things to remember :crazy: .
Do you mean changing the boot priority in BIOS --> Boot section?

My Z690 Aero G is still intact, but without a CPU, so I haven't looked at BIOS F8. Is there a new "Windows Boot Manager" setting in BIOS?

I don't think that is accurate. I updated to F8 and left the 2 DMAR options enabled and was able to boot just fine.

In fact, with my OC EFI on a USB I was able to boot with them disabled to test. That seemed to cause my WIFI to get disabled.
Interesting. So BIOS F8 does in fact have a DMAR table...

Do you mean changing the boot priority in BIOS --> Boot section?

My Z690 Aero G is still intact, but without a CPU, so I haven't looked at BIOS F8. Is there a new "Windows Boot Manager" setting in BIOS?

Interesting. So BIOS F8 does in fact have a DMAR table...
Screenshot from F7 BIOS prior to updating. Option #1 is my macOS Nvme drive. In F8, only Windows Boot Manager shows. There is no UEFI OS option anymore. WBM shows as the only option and I ended up disabling it to load OC.

Attachments

• 243C8D21-91F7-499E-AA75-8B261807D9CF.jpeg
    243C8D21-91F7-499E-AA75-8B261807D9CF.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 41
Screenshot from F7 BIOS prior to updating. Option #1 is my macOS Nvme drive. In F8, only Windows Boot Manager shows. There is no UEFI OS option anymore. WBM shows as the only option and I ended up disabling it to load OC.
The Boot menu scans every EFI and other boot partition, sees what’s there, then lists it in the Boot Priority section.

It says “Windows Boot Manager” because it finds a “Microsoft” folder in an EFI partition. Likewise, it says “UEFI OS” when it finds a valid EFI BOOT folder but doesn’t recognize the operating system.

If BIOS F8 is not showing “UEFI OS”, it might be solved by doing a cold boot. That can force the firmware to rescan all hard drives.

The Boot menu scans every EFI and other boot partition, sees what’s there, then lists it in the Boot Priority section.

It says “Windows Boot Manager” because it finds a “Microsoft” folder in an EFI partition. Likewise, it says “UEFI OS” when it finds a valid EFI BOOT folder but doesn’t recognize the operating system.

If BIOS F8 is not showing “UEFI OS”, it might be solved by doing a cold boot. That can force the firmware to rescan all hard drives.
Yep tried that. Maybe it'll pop-up again at some point. It does show the UEFI USB installer, but not the NVMe.

I double checked - on my system, DMAR didn't need to be disabled to boot with OC 0.8.1.

ARCTIC Reports Potential Defect - ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II
Just to clarify, we should visit the site below, but there are two options:

Option 1: Top half of web page
  • Fill out the top half to order a self-repair kit
Option 2: Bottom half of web page
  • Fill out bottom half to send the unit in for repair, which can take several weeks

Hello Everybody,

I am managed to build my system based on Gigabyte Z690i, almost perfect, need to wrinkle out the restart and shutdown issue. I was hoping the expert here can point me in the right direction.
View attachment 538131
20 Processor detected
View attachment 538132
USB configuration:
View attachment 538133
Configuration:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690i Aorus Ultra
Processor: Intel i7 12700KF
Memory: Patriot Steel DDR4 3600MHz, 2 x 32GB
SSD: WD 750 SE x 2
Graphics: Sapphire RX 6900 XT
Case: Cooler Master N200P Max.
Wifi: BCM94352Z (Bluetooth and Wifi work perfectly, speed up to 867Mbit.)
View attachment 538137
Monitor: 32" BenQ EW3270U.
USB has been mapped according to motherboard and case layout.

The only problem that I'm having is restart/shutdown and sleep. Restart will almost bring the PC to halt, unable to continue booting. Whereas shutdown will also bring PC to halt, without actually powering down the PC.

I have looked into fixed into shutdown/restart, no luck.

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "Slav", "ZPTS", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PC00.XHCI.PMEE, FieldUnitObj)
    External (ZPTS, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)  // _PTS: Prepare To Sleep
    {
        ZPTS (Arg0)
        If ((0x05 == Arg0))
        {
            \_SB.PC00.XHCI.PMEE = Zero
        }
    }
}

My DSDT and EFI are attached.

Initially, I copied the EFI from this link Z690i and made some modifications on USB map. I hope I can get a good feedback here. Thank you for this awesome forum @CaseySJ, I learned a lot from this forum.
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue. Intermittently a shutdown or reboot will hang the motherboard to the point where the reset button has no effect and I have to power off/on. Doesn't do it consistently, usually only on 2nd or 3rd reboot.

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue. Intermittently a shutdown or reboot will hang the motherboard to the point where the reset button has no effect and I have to power off/on. Doesn't do it consistently, usually only on 2nd or 3rd reboot.
I believe the root cause was a third-party WiFi/BT card. When the card was removed from PCIe slot, the problem went away.

@CaseyJS: Have you updated to Ventura beta? I updated today and look like Bluetooth isn't working properly. Airdrop/Handoff doesn't work anymore. Discoverable is off in system information. :(

1662050746335.png

Back