Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi @CaseySJ,
I come from the ProArt thread.
A question about Thunderbolt and motherboards.
You said to use the Gigabyte Aero G + flashed Titan Ridge.

In Italy we only get the DDR5 version of the Aero G.
Instead we have the Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO DDR4 that has integrated WiFi+Bluetooth, Thunderbolt header and it's basically the same board as the Aero G but has different colours.
Do you think I can I use this one?

Does the Titan Ridge HAVE to be flashed or I can drop it into the socket and make it work as it is?

Thanks a lot.

Hi @CaseySJ,
I come from the ProArt thread.
A question about Thunderbolt and motherboards.
You said to use the Gigabyte Aero G + flashed Titan Ridge.

In Italy we only get the DDR5 version of the Aero G.
Instead we have the Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO DDR4 that has integrated WiFi+Bluetooth, Thunderbolt header and it's basically the same board as the Aero G but has different colours.
Do you think I can I use this one?

Does the Titan Ridge HAVE to be flashed or I can drop it into the socket and make it work as it is?

Thanks a lot.
Hello @zzmadd,

Some comments:
  • It is okay to use Gigabyte Aero G with DDR5 memory.
  • It is okay to use Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro with DDR4.
  • It is okay to install GC-Titan Ridge with original (un-flashed) firmware and see how it performs.
    • The USB 2 header on GC-Titan Ridge should be connected to motherboard.
    • The 5-pin Thunderbolt header should be connected to motherboard (not the 3-pin header).
    • In BIOS, Thunderbolt should be enabled.
  • If you experience problems with device connection (a) at boot or (b) hot plug, then it may be best to flash the firmware.

Hello @zzmadd,

Some comments:
  • It is okay to use Gigabyte Aero G with DDR5 memory.
  • It is okay to use Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro with DDR4.
  • It is okay to install GC-Titan Ridgewith original (un-flashed) firmware and see how it performs.
    • The USB 2 header on GC-Titan Ridge should be connected to motherboard.
    • The 5-pin Thunderbolt header should be connected to motherboard (not the 3-pin header).
  • If you experience problems with device connection (a) at boot or (b) hot plug, then it may be best to flash the firmware.
That can only be configured if you installed version Fd. F doesn't not allow you to modify TB settings, so it's hard to tell.

Fd was pulled from downloads for some reason.

Yes, I've been using that version along with a couple of others.
I've been using your Maple Ridge SSD which I assume takes into account these other SSDTs. Hopefully, we're slowly getting to be able to hot plug.

Anybody trying to mod the Maple Ridge card's firmware? Or do we have await Apple using Maple Ridge in their macOS or model firmware?

Thought since I was helped on this forum I would return the favor and see if this helped anyone else.

I had my old Windows install disk from my Optiplex plugged into the new i7 machine. So I figured I would boot into it, and, of course, it works no problem, after installing the endless list of drivers from Gigabyte for the motherboard. However, the thing I always hate about Windows is how the Apple keyboard is not natively supported, unless you do a bootcamp install. Typically, you can run the Bootcamp Assistant, click actions in the menu, and download support software to a USB drive. This option, however, didn't work for me. I kept getting an error about my software not being on the download server. So I found a work-around and thought I would share.

First, create a restore point or take a backup of your Windows machine. Of course, I did not do this but my Windows install was basically empty. So nothing lost in my case. Please make a backup incase something happens.

Next, go to https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier and download the zip file. This will allow us to download the support software from Apple.

Navigate to the folder the above zip is extracted into with a command prompt (run as administrator), and type

Code:
brigadier --model MacPro7,1

This will begin the download of the support software into a new folder. This may take some time.

Now in the command prompt navigate to the BootCamp/Drivers/Apple folder. There will be a "bootcamp.msi" in this folder. If you click on it, it will not run and complain it needs elevate permissions. Therefore, we'll run it from the Terminal command line by typing "msiexec /i bootcamp.msi" which will start up and run the installer. This will install the relevant Apple devices, including in my case the Broadcom Bluetooth driver I was missing.

After install, you'll reboot and can now adjust the volume using the normal Apple keyboard keys.

Extra notes: It may be possible to only install a sub-set of these drivers, I attempted to just install the keyboard driver, but that did not work.

Hope this helps someone,

Mike

Last edited:
@mikecmp,

Added to Post 1.

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 2.37.48 PM.png

Yes Windows 11 is installed and boots normally through OpenCore. Some details:
  • Windows 11 is on a SATA SSD.
  • The SATA SSD does not have an EFI partition.
  • Windows 11 has installed its boot loader into the same EFI partition as OpenCore, but without interfering with OpenCore.
  • It boots normally through OpenCore every time even though I have AppleVTD enabled (i.e. dropping the original DMAR table and replacing with modified version).

I would add that this is similar to my experience as well, my SSD with Windows 10 on it was selectable in OpenCore, if I tried selecting the drive from the boot menu (F12) it would black screen and not boot. If I picked it from OC it worked fine.

Side note, the "Restart in mac OS: button in Windows never worked on any of my other Macs very well. I would always manually have to select the disk by hitting the option key even on my macbook for some reason. However, with OpenCore it works every time - the hack works better than the Mac, so to speak. :)

Just a generic rant that maybe can result in some advice from the users here, and be an advice to you aswell.

I am very unpleased with the Gigabyte lineup for this generation, as the high end z690 boards seem to be confined to 3 PCIE slots only.

With the need for dGpu and TB Card, this leaves me with only one slot avaiable. I am also now limited to dual antenna wifi for the time being.

I have bought the z690 UD wich has 2 additional PCIE 1x slots but the VRM are just trash, it cannot keep all core load on the 12700k with ecores disabled, even with slight undervolt. This board will take an i5 12400 just fine but that would be a B660 build!

I have tested the z690 P D4 from asus and the performance are better for the VRM but i really liek having a golden build thread like this for my build to ensure easy updates and troubleshooting.

Back