Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

What would cause the following issue, and how can it be fixed? I have a USB hub (monitor hub) connected to a rear USB 3 working port. If nothing is connected, the hack restarts no problem. With anything connected, it goes through the restart motion but just shuts down with the gpu and cpu still on. I'd like to use my monitor ports for random stuff that does not need to be on the rear ports.

Edit: Interesting enough, when plugging in a usb hub to the rear usb c port, it will restart with the same device plugged in. I wonder if the monitor is being treated differently.

Last edited:
I’ve been capturing and annotating screenshots in preparation for the build write-up. The EFI folder is ready. Build guide should be up in a couple of days.
Is the WiFi chip on the ASUS ProArt removable/replaceable with BCM94360NG?

Is the WiFi chip on the ASUS ProArt removable/replaceable with BCM94360NG?
Yes it should be replaceable. The module is tucked under the rear IO cover so it may be a little more cumbersome to remove and replace than on Gigabyte Aero G.

I’ve been capturing and annotating screenshots in preparation for the build write-up. The EFI folder is ready. Build guide should be up in a couple of days.
The Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi DDR5 (Thunderbolt 4) build guide has just been published:

OpenCore Configurator 2.56.0.0 has just been released. Now I can work on the 0.7.7 mini-guide (coming soon).
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 6.18.53 PM.png

Anyone able to unlock with Apple Watch?
I got error:
"You Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch."

Anyone able to unlock with Apple Watch?
I got error:
"You Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch."
I have the broadcom m2 card and am able to unlock with my watch.

** OpenCore 0.7.7 for Gigabyte Z690 Aero G Alder Lake **
Supports Big Sur and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Also available from HackinDROM

** NOTE **

Please use OpenCore Configurator 2.56.0.0 and ensure that it's set to
0.7.7 Release Configuration

When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted​

Windows Users:
If you are unable to boot Windows through OpenCore, try disabling AppleVTD by following the bottom half of this post.

Monterey -- What Does Not Work:
  • Laird BT851 Bluetooth 5.0 USB dongle not working at this time.
  • If Monterey is installed on Samsung NVMe SSDs, boot time can increase by 60-100 seconds due to "trim" incompatibilty.
    • This can be addressed by cloning the Samsung NVMe SSD to another disk, erasing the Samsung NVMe SSD with Disk Utility, and cloning macOS back. Please be careful with this process if you decide to do it.
  • Crucial P2 NVMe SSDs (only P2 series) also suffer from trim issues in Monterey.

This Update Includes:
  • OpenCore 0.7.7
  • AppleALC 1.6.8
  • Lilu 1.5.9
  • WhateverGreen 1.5.6
  • RestrictEvents 1.0.6

Caveat:
macOS does not recognize the difference between P-cores and E-cores. Tasks will be scheduled on both types of cores as if they were all the same type.

Your Tasks:
To use this EFI folder please make the following changes to config.plist.

Set ResizeAppleGpuBars to 0 if Resizable BAR Support is enabled in BIOS. System will boot to black screen if this is not set properly.
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.49.00 AM.png

Copy PlatformInfo credentials:
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 11.04.40 AM.png

By default, a 15-port USB port map is selected. If you're using a different port map, select it from the list.
Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 10.30.10 AM.png

To show proper CPU name in About this Mac, set the following string accordingly. By default it is set to 10-Core Intel i5-12600K.
Set CPU Name.png

Specify your GPU Name:
Dev Prop GPU 1.png

Specify your GPU name once more:
Dev Prop GPU 2.png

Issues:
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 10.52.10 AM.png

Updates:
  • 14 Jan 2022: Official version of OpenCore 0.7.7
  • 15 Jan 2022: Uploaded modified EFI Folder with Intel Wireless drivers disabled by default
  • 28 Jan 2022: Added a V2 that includes AppleALCU.kext instead of AppleALC.kext in order to properly utilize on-board USB audio (Realtek ALC-4080).

Attachments

• EFI-077-Z690-AERO-G.zip
    45.5 MB · Views: 117
  • EFI-077-Z690-AERO-G-V2.zip
    45.6 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Do not have the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled if using kext or ssdt. :thumbup:
Is this true? The first page says to enable it if you have SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-ALL-PORTS-HS14.aml enabled.

From the first page:
  • SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-ALL-PORTS-HS14.aml
    • Enables all ports including HS14 which contains Intel AX201 WiFi/BT module
    • XhciPortLimit in Kernel section of config.plist must be enabled

Is this true? The first page says to enable it if you have SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-ALL-PORTS-HS14.aml enabled.

From the first page:
  • SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-ALL-PORTS-HS14.aml
    • Enables all ports including HS14 which contains Intel AX201 WiFi/BT module
    • XhciPortLimit in Kernel section of config.plist must be enabled

Well, we'll have to see what @CaseySJ says about this.

I would claim it is true, but I don't know everything so it will be interesting to hear the logic (or technical reason) behind it. I write a lot about USB and this is not something that has crossed my radar.

Since Big Sur 11.3 the XhciPortLimit quirk has been "faulty" - basically not working. Its reason for it existing was to generically activate all available ports without the need for an OS-specific patch - with or without USBInjectAll.kext.

@CaseySJ 's SSDT does activate all USB ports but in its present form needs USBInjectAll.kext.

With those two points in mind enabling the XhciPortLimit quirk needs explaining...

:)

Last edited:
Back