Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

For Monterey, does the problem "You shut down your computer because of a problem" fix?

Never tried this before . If I already have a main macOS disk and have another spare identical disk can you turn it into a raid array or I need to format both and start over
Creating an array will format the drives. But there's little point doing that for your main drive.
A stripe array (RAID 0) has maximal performance but is insecure: Any issue with any member drive will lose the entire content. This is fine for a scratch volume, not for for permanent storage.

For Monterey, does the problem "You shut down your computer because of a problem" fix?
That problem remains, but a different one has been fixed after fixing ACPI table load errors. Namely, my 4K monitor no longer says “Index out of range” when rebooting. This required me to restart the monitor after every reboot.

That problem remains, but a different one has been fixed after fixing ACPI table load errors. Namely, my 4K monitor no longer says “Index out of range” when rebooting. This required me to restart the monitor after every reboot.
Hope next release of Opencore fixes the rest problem. Can't wait to place the order:mrgreen:

@CaseySJ have you ever try connecting the AMD 6800 XT to a TV or 2nd monitor with HDMI port? Mine works but when it wakes from sleep it goes to a black screen for both displays. I tried disconnecting all display cable and only replugged the main DisplayPort but it still won’t turn on. I can ssh into the box and still use it so it’s just a matter of the display output not working . This is only a problem that I experienced on Monterey. Big Sur did not have this issue for me. However, Big Sur AMD 6000 series are unstable for me for video transcoding task.

FYI. I haven’t tested this on the new Z690 since I don’t have access to a TV until tomorrow.

Alpine Ridge is working incredible good in Monterey with Z690 Aorus Master. I flashed GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin by @NorthAmTransAm. I use Alpine Ridge SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml adapted to Z690. I have VTD enable, but untouched DMAR.
What works:
Thunderbolt, USB2,3, hot-plug, sleep, wake, regain TB and USB devices after boot. TB+USB work also in Ubuntu. USB works in Windows (TB no).
What doesn't work:
Warm boot (don't know why for now). I need to make cold boot (I need help here).
I'll update this post if something deserve to apear here.
It works better then in Z390.
Screen pictures made after wake.

Update1: Warm boot works for macOS and TB bus persist, but USB bus doesn't. I need to reboot whit TB3 Dock disconnected.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    655.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.png
    3.png
    684.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 4.png
    4.png
    732 KB · Views: 115
  • 5.png
    5.png
    255.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 6.png
    6.png
    364.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Alpine Ridge is working incredible good in Monterey with Z690 Aorus Master. I flashed GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin by @NorthAmTransAm. I use Alpine Ridge SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml adapted to Z690. I have VTD enable, but untouched DMAR.
What works:
Thunderbolt, USB2,3, hot-plug, sleep, wake, regain TB and USB devices after boot. TB+USB work also in Ubuntu. USB works in Windows (TB no).
What doesn't work:
Warm boot (don't know why for now). I need to make cold boot (I need help here).
I'll update this post if something deserve to apear here.
It works better then in Z390.
Screen pictures made after wake.

Update1: Warm boot works for macOS and TB bus persist, but USB bus doesn't. I need to reboot whit TB3 Dock disconnected.
Good news! Now I can update the Thunderbolt section in Tech Talk (post 1) by recommending both GC-Alpine Ridge and GC-Titan Ridge. The lesson is to avoid SSDT-TbtOnPch.

@CaseySJ have you ever try connecting the AMD 6800 XT to a TV or 2nd monitor with HDMI port? Mine works but when it wakes from sleep it goes to a black screen for both displays. I tried disconnecting all display cable and only replugged the main DisplayPort but it still won’t turn on. I can ssh into the box and still use it so it’s just a matter of the display output not working . This is only a problem that I experienced on Monterey. Big Sur did not have this issue for me. However, Big Sur AMD 6000 series are unstable for me for video transcoding task.

FYI. I haven’t tested this on the new Z690 since I don’t have access to a TV until tomorrow.
I just tried the following experiment successfully:
  • RX 6800 XT --> HDMI --> LG 1080p monitor
  • RX 6800 XT --> DisplayPort --> Asus 4K monitor
Both monitors woke up properly from sleep. This test was conducted with Monterey 12.1 Beta 3 with MSI RX 6800 XT Gaming X Trio.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 10.06.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 10.05.19 AM.png

Back