Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

... As expected it killed my Intel BT.
I tried the IntelBluetooth driver again this morning, but IOReg shows an endless cycle of Bluetooth device nodes attaching and detaching in rapid succession. This happens with both v2 and 2.0.1. We'll need to wait for an update, even though this board ships with an AX201 that has been around for a while...

...I have to wait until the fans on the video card spin down (5 secs?) then another key press to send video to the monitor. Obviously I can live with that quirk.
The first two wakes occur fairly quickly, but subsequent ones take a little more time. There is a hard drive LED on my case that starts blinking quickly after the first couple of wakes, but waits a few seconds after subsequent wakes. I can live with that as well.

I had been using SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-ALL-PORTS.aml with XhciPortLimit which didn't survive the second sleep.
Interesting. On my system with Monterey 12.1 public beta, wake is okay every time. But I do agree that if we avoid XhciPortLimit and restrict ourselves to 15 ports, so much the better.

[Doesn't that new Monterey feature where one can copy text from a picture in the Preview app wild!]
Yup!

There is one minor issue with your EFI v4. In DeviceProperties the addresses for my RX 580 VGA controller and audio device are different from the ones you have. I used Hackintool to find the correct addresses.
Good point. You're right that RX 6000 series of GPUs attach themselves to a slightly different PCIe path compared to RX 400, RX 500, and RX 5000 series.

I'll need to explain that in the build guide (soon).

Looks like this could be my daily driver at this point.
Let's hope so. There might still be some quirks and features waiting to be found...

I decided to see if my old Apple TB Display could be used as a secondary display with the Aero. It can if I wanted to!

I plugged the short Display Port jumper cable supplied with the Titan Ridge card from the DP on my RX 580 to the mini-DP port on the Titan Ridge card. I then plugged an Apple TB3 to TB converter into the TB3 port with the other end to the TB from the Apple Display. I changed the BIOS's Internal Graphics setting to Disabled to get this to work. I also changed Kernel -> DisaleIoMapper to selected. Vola!

Didplay 1.png
Display 2.png

The USB ports on the Apple Display are active. The camera and display audio work.

The Apple display only displays upon reaching the Monterey desktop.

There is interference between the Ethernet drivers on the Aero and the Apple Display. Between boots, one or the other may be active. Not a good situation.

System Info.png

I won't guarantee the overall stability of this setup.

Last edited:
Just to avoid any confusion, when I said "I made the same mistake", I meant that I pointed the web browser to the wrong address. I certainly don't consider the Z690 Aero G DDR4 purchase to be a mistake. With a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD serving as the boot drive (WD 500GB SN850) and sleep/wake working properly, the system is eminently usable all day long.

Multiple sleep/wake cycles are really critical to being able to power up the system in the morning and leave it running all day without wasting energy...
I knew exactly what you meant about gigabyte’s confusion, no need to explain! And I agree that sleep properly working is essential to save energy!

@CaseySJ Alas, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I was booting from an incorrect EFI.
Once re-established, the correct EFI booted and VOLIA!!! full thunderbolt functionality.

I am using EFI-076-PRE-Z690-AERO-G-V3

Hot plug works on..
All Universal Audio Devices- Apollo x8p and Octo Satellites.
G-Drive Pro SSD
OWC Thunderbay 8

Not working..
OWC Thunderbolt Hub. This is a TB4 device. I am not sure if this matters.

Thank you to everyone for their patience.

View attachment 535386
Thunderbolt 4 hubs don’t work with the flashed Titan ridge. I had to revert my gigabyte z490 onboard Titan ridge to stock and then tb4 hubs worked well.

Thunderbolt 4 hubs don’t work with the flashed Titan ridge. I had to revert my gigabyte z490 onboard Titan ridge to stock and then tb4 hubs worked well.

@dehjomz Would this be true for all TB hubs or only TB4 hubs?

@dehjomz Would this be true for all TB hubs or only TB4 hubs?
As far as I know, only tb4 has the hubs with the 3 downstream tb4 ports. That is a new feature offered by Goshen Ridge. The hubbing feature of Goshen ridge was broken on the flashed Titan ridge NVM.

In terms of other tb3 hubs/docks, I’ve never tested any with the flashed Titan ridge so I can’t say. But I can confirm that anker and owc tb4 hubs work with the stock Titan ridge nvm of the z490 vision d in macOS, windows, Linux…

Hi @CaseySJ, question about your ACPI patch, specifically the ADBG -> XDBG patch. Want to understand better the reasoning behind it.

Also I want to try to adapt it to Z590 to it so I could upgrade from my beta bios. I was using an older beta bios because it sleeps fine with macOS, but the newer public BIOSes have the issue of restart from 2nd wake from sleep in macOS, same as we encountered with z690. I wanted to move to the newer bioses because they use the latest Rocket Lake microcode (and have a 3-4 degree C cooler temp at idle).

So I wanted to understand your patch so I could know where to look in the Z590 ACPI table.
  • So from what I can tell, from post 147 of this thread (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z690-aero-g-i5-12600k-amd-rx-6800-xt.317179/post-2291235) this patch targets the OEM GSWApp SSDT and replaces "43031419 41444247" with "43031419 58444247" or in other words it does "CADBG"->"CXDBG."
  • But there is no "CADBG" in the SSDT, instead it has rather it has a few occurrences of "ADBG." So why CADBG?
  • Second, the patch only replaces the first occurrence of this string. Why the first but not the others?
  • Third, what is effect of doing this? Just trying to understand why we're targeting this function for replacement.
Thanks!

Edit: tried ADBG->XDBG on Z690. Doesn't do anything, doesn't work. Your original patch (CADBG->CXDBG) works.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ here is my boot log and ACPI table from the z590 Vision D. I'm running the BIOS that restarts upon the second wake from sleep. I applied the patches from Z690 but they don't fix sleep on this BIOS.

Edit: Never mind. Solution is

Patch: Table GSWApp
  • Table Signature: SSDT
  • OemTableID: 47535741 7070
  • Find: 43031419 41444247
  • Replace: 43031419 58444247
  • Comment: Change CADBG to CXDBG
  • Count = 1
  • Limit = 0
  • Skip = 0
  • Enabled = True

With this, sleep/wake works on multiple cycles on z590 Vision D! Hopefully this can help others as well.

The older beta BIOS that I was using didn't have the ADBG function defined at all... so it slept fine. But for some reason, the newer Z590 Vision D bioses (like F5, F6, and this beta one I'm using that enables thunderbolt 'kernel DMA protection' in Windows) define this function for some reason and it interferes with sleep.

The onboard Maple ridge controller resumes from sleep as well, but key is to set 'Wake from Thunderbolt Devices' on. The first sleep/wake cycle after doing so, may result in it hanging, and so maple ridge may not come back. But the 2nd sleep cycle and onward it will come back from sleep...

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    249.9 KB · Views: 180
  • jMacRKL_Z590VisionD.acpi
    535.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
That would buy you an M1 MBP base model. When will the gfx card craziness end ?

According to the news late 2023 maybe?

Back