Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Correction: Device ID should be FF730000 instead of FF73.
Hi CaseySJ, still freezes during the boot process. Windows 11 works fine. I don't understand the issue here. I've also tried several different machine profiles to no avail.

Correction: Device ID should be FF730000 instead of FF73.
Hi Casey, just wondering if the SSDT I have for the 6950 XT could maybe be modified to work for @lightmanrt, I don't have any device ID in my device properties as well.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 9.44.20 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-6950XT-73A5-GPU-SPOOF.aml
    185 bytes · Views: 32
Getting a bit of an odd instability behavior. Machine "often" locks up, logs out, and I am able to log back in again immediately and get all my apps started etc. The strange part is neither RAM nor CPU is showing any signs of strain (monitoring with iStat menus) but GPU constantly shows high load. My specs:

- i5-12600KF
- 64GB 3200 CL16 RAM
- Sapphire Nitro RX 6600 XT

tl;dr - It appears that any video-intensive normal OS process can randomly result in full system freeze and OSX logout. System becomes unresponsive after some random click (an OSX notification, interacting with an HTML Canvas animation, using a WISYWIG like this forum's editor). I have quite a few apps running (a dozen or so) and 4+ browsers at any given time (Safari, Chrome, Chromium, Waterfox) which I use for different purposes. Recently switched from Brave to Waterfox to see if that would alleviate the issue, no dice. Also tried disabling hardware rendering across all browsers to see if that would help the issue, no change. On average system freezes 1-2x a day.

Generally, the only thing I can do to ease the problem is close some of the apps, particularly browsers with a lot of tabs/ windows open. It's understandable that my system load is heavy due to all the browser tabs (prolly no more than 100 total across all browsers) and that easing pressure would ease the issue, but with native OSX laptops it would never freeze, just performance became very degraded. I'm wondering if there is something settings wise I can augment to prevent the system from seizing up.

Attached is a screenshot of the system pressure on GPU in particular (ram hovers 20-30% usage and CPU 1-10%) which always has video memory practically maxxed out. I've thought maybe just upgrading the bottleneck to an RX 6900 XT may help, but still the freezing is concerning.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Are you getting a windows service failure. It sounds like it? This can be caused by your BIOS settings. Try resetting your BIOS to the default safe settings and see if it still behaves the same. I’ve experienced this problem when I push the BIOS settings for better performance.

Last edited:

Attachments

• SSDT-6650XT-73FF-GPU-SPOOF.aml
    185 bytes · Views: 58
Hi CaseySJ, still freezes during the boot process. Windows 11 works fine. I don't understand the issue here.
Neither do we…
Can you use Windows to confirm the ACPI and PCI paths to the RX 6650 GPU?

Neither do we…
Neither do we…
The machine is definitely loading the RX 6650 XT. It is freezing on the load. If I delete VGA device properties from the configuration, macOS Boots. In graphics info I get "display 14 MB" which is to be expected since it is no longer loading the display driver. If I use the SSDT for the RX 6950 XT, the machine boots to black and then crashes. If I use the modified SSDT that CaseySJ so kingly edited, it freezes as before. Attached is the info you requested.

Attachments

• IMG_2663 copy.jpg
    IMG_2663 copy.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2664 copy.jpg
    IMG_2664 copy.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 37
The machine is definitely loading the RX 6650 XT. It is freezing on the load. If I delete VGA device properties from the configuration, macOS Boots. In graphics info I get "display 14 MB" which is to be expected since it is no longer loading the display driver. If I use the SSDT for the RX 6950 XT, the machine boots to black and then crashes. If I use the modified SSDT that CaseySJ so kingly edited, it freezes as before. Attached is the info you requested.
The device is attached to PEG1, so the original SSDT from @suren6791 is the right one (other than the name of the device, which is cosmetic).

In BIOS, is “Resizeable BAR” enabled or disabled?

In config.plist is “ResizeAppleGpuBars” checked on or checked off?

Which version of BIOS is installed?

Is “Above 4G Decoding” enabled or disabled in BIOS?

The device is attached to PEG1, so the original SSDT from @suren6791 is the right one (other than the name of the device, which is cosmetic).

In BIOS, is “Resizeable BAR” enabled or disabled?

In config.plist is “ResizeAppleGpuBars” checked on or checked off?

Which version of BIOS is installed?

Is “Above 4G Decoding” enabled or disabled in BIOS?
1. I've tried both.
2. I've tried both
3. I've tried both.
4. Iv'e tried both.
...And every combination possible. They make no difference.
I went back to F8 from F22.

Back