Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ

THANK YOU!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!

The SSDT-TITAN-RIDGE-V1-NO-HS.aml file works perfectly for my Titan Ridge v1 card. Hot plug and also USB-C devices plugged into the ports work. System Information -> PCI also now shows the TB info.

All is good. Thank you.
Hello, is your Titan Ridge flashed or does it have the stock NVM?

Looks like BIOS F6a has been removed and replaced with F4b:

Gigabyte is confusing. That might be the DDR5 version.

This seems the DDR4 version: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AERO-G-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Quite right. I recently corrected someone about this and then made the same mistake!
Yeah. Your enthusiasm about Alder Lake inspired me to take the plunge! I'm happy with it so far.

Yeah. Your enthusiasm about Alder Lake inspired me to take the plunge! I'm happy with it so far.
Just to avoid any confusion, when I said "I made the same mistake", I meant that I pointed the web browser to the wrong address. I certainly don't consider the Z690 Aero G DDR4 purchase to be a mistake. With a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD serving as the boot drive (WD 500GB SN850) and sleep/wake working properly, the system is eminently usable all day long.

Multiple sleep/wake cycles are really critical to being able to power up the system in the morning and leave it running all day without wasting energy...

I certainly don't consider the Z690 Aero G DDR4 purchase to be a mistake. With a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD serving as the boot drive (WD 500GB SN850) and sleep/wake working properly, the system is eminently usable all day long.
How does the speed compare to the M1 Max MBP you just got ?

Last edited:
** Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge for Z690 Platform **
@Inqnuam has uploaded a Thunderbolt SSDT for Z690 that can be used with GC-Titan Ridge. This is available from the HackinDROM website. A unique Thunderbolt ID (UID) will be generated each time the file is downloaded to ensure there are no duplicated UIDs.

Select the option: Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - Z690 Platform
@Inqnuam @CaseySJ

I downloaded a new Thunderbolt SSDT from the HackinDROM web site to get a unique UID generated for my Titan Ridge v1 card for the Aero G, and replaced the SSDT CaseySJ had created for me.

It performed perfectly.

Thanks!

How does the speed compare to the M1 Max MBP you just got ?
This is a bit tricky to answer at this time because I have not installed my productivity apps on the Alder Lake system. It's currently in setup/optimization phase. However, I can provide a subjective comparison based on the responsiveness of the OS and its built-in apps.
  • Both systems feel just as responsive. Booting the system, launching applications, opening web pages, scrolling through large PDFs, interleaving between multiple apps, etc. are all very very satisfying on both systems.
  • One of the reasons I prefer physical buttons and dials in automobile dashboards is because of the immediate tactile feedback I receive with every push and every rotation. There is no lag between user input and system response. That immediacy translates into a very satisfying experience because any lag or latency between input and output can become exceedingly frustrating exceedingly quickly. So on both the Alder Lake system and the 14" MacBook Pro, it is this immediacy that I notice to an equal extent.
Among various productivity apps on the 14" MacBook Pro, I use RapidWeaver to edit and export web sites. I used to click "export" and grab a coffee when using my former MacBook Air, but now the job is done well before I even reach the kitchen!

Oh wait, now I'm not sure which machine is better... :)

Last edited:
Back