Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

L

ll

my system does not crash on wake-up. had it sleep twice woke up fine then I let it sleep overnight and no problem on wake-up. TB 3 drives on flashed Titan Ridge remain connected however if you eject them hot patch will not work. Using 8.3 EFI.
That's great news. Which motherboard do you have? Aero G or Aero D? Your profile says Aero C? Could you save your BIOS setting profile and post it? I wonder if there is some magical BIOS setting that gets it to work.

That's great news. Which motherboard do you have? Aero G or Aero D? Your profile says Aero C? Could you save your BIOS setting profile and post it? I wonder if there is some magical BIOS setting that gets it to work.
I’ll fix my profile! Aero G z690 DDR4. I’ll post BIOS settings and EFI which is somewhat modified. I gave up on the built in NIC and use a PCIe card from Realtek which works great. I also changed the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module with a Mac compatible version.

Thank you for answering, @nottooshabby. I will wait for your results with Thunderbolt. In my case, the issue of the suspension does not worry me since I do not use it. When I finish with the computer, I turn it off. I do not leave it on if I am not with it. However, I noticed that when you update the BIOS, there is no configuration in the BIOS for Thunderbolt, and the card is not recognized. If your results are positive regarding Thunderbolt, I will buy the Z790.

Thanks again.

Hello, I found this problem just after the F21 version of BIOS was updated, and reported it to the official of Gigabyte. Unfortunately, the answer was to let me go back to the previous version. The current solution is to power on the external Thunderbolt device during cold start, otherwise the card will not be recognized in BIOS.

Thank you for answering, @nottooshabby. I will wait for your results with Thunderbolt. In my case, the issue of the suspension does not worry me since I do not use it. When I finish with the computer, I turn it off. I do not leave it on if I am not with it. However, I noticed that when you update the BIOS, there is no configuration in the BIOS for Thunderbolt, and the card is not recognized. If your results are positive regarding Thunderbolt, I will buy the Z790.

Thanks again.
I just did some testing this morning. I am seeing the same issue as you. My Thunderbolt card is not recognized at all. In the BIOS if I go to the System Menu->Plug in devices, my Thunderbolt card does not even show as being plugged into a PCI slot. I also do not see any Thunderbolt settings available to configure. This is using the F4 BIOS. I will downgrade to F2 to see if I see any change.

Edit: Downgraded from F4g bios to F2 bios allowed the Thunderbolt card to be recognized.

Last edited:
I just did some testing this morning. I am seeing the same issue as you. My Thunderbolt card is not recognized at all. In the BIOS if I go to the System Menu->Plug in devices, my Thunderbolt card does not even show as being plugged into a PCI slot. I also do not see any Thunderbolt settings available to configure. This is using the F4 BIOS. I will downgrade to F2 to see if I see any change.
Hello, I found this problem just after the F21 version of BIOS was updated, and reported it to the official of Gigabyte. Unfortunately, the answer was to let me go back to the previous version. The current solution is to power on the external Thunderbolt device during cold start, otherwise the card will not be recognized in BIOS.
Yes! that was the issue. I just downgraded my bios to F2 and the thunderbolt card is recoginized. I also see the thunderbolt bus. I haven't plugged my monitor in yet, but it looks like it may work. I need to rearrange my desk to try it out. Will do soon!

@CaseySJ, you should probably give a warning in your OP that the newer BIOS versions, F20 and F21, do not work with macOS at this time. :thumbdown

Thunderbolt display works, but no USB 2.0 bus which means the facetime camera or speakers do not work. Progress though!

Thunderbolt display works, but no USB 2.0 bus which means the facetime camera or speakers do not work. Progress though!
Ok, got the camera working too. For some reason it takes a restart to get the USB 2.0 bus to show up.

Edit: I tweaked some thunderbolt related settings and now the USB 2.0 bus shows up from cold or warm start. Just need to fix the crash after second sleep and this system will be working well.

Last edited:
Ok, got the camera working too. For some reason it takes a restart to get the USB 2.0 bus to show up.

Edit: I tweaked some thunderbolt related settings and now the USB 2.0 bus shows up from cold or warm start. Just need to fix the crash after second sleep and this system will be working well.
That's very good news, then; Aero G ddr5 Z790, with f2 BIOS works with flashed Thunderbolt card and recognizes the 13900k? I think I'm going to order a plate to start mounting it. @nottooshabby would you be so kind as to share your EFI and BIOS settings? I'm going to order two 16GB modules each G.skill 5600 CL36. What memory have you used? Thanks again.

@CaseySJ, you should probably give a warning in your OP that the newer BIOS versions, F20 and F21, do not work with macOS at this time. :thumbdown
I added the warning as shown below -- assuming that the problem is with USB ports.

Edit: After reading a few of the posts above, it seems Thunderbolt section is missing from F20/F21 BIOS?? Still looking for a clear description of the problem...

Screenshot 2022-12-03 at 2.04.49 PM.png

Last edited:
Back