Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Thanks, I found a temp solution: check HDR on, then unehck it, the monitor will able to reocver it.
@CaseySJ my extended monitor wake up issue is fixed by using a new third party HDMI cable. I was using the original HDMI come with LG monitor.

Casey, I am looking for the NVM 33 firmware file you are using for your flashed TB3 card. I have found several other files but not the 33. Where can I download it from?

Last edited:
Casey, I am looking for the NVM 33 firmware file you are using for your flashed TB3 card. I have found several other files but not the 33. Where can I download it from?
We maintain a Repository of these files. A link is provided in Section 8 of the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1 in the Z390 Designare golden build thread. In fact, section 8 is dedicated to Thunderbolt firmware flashing. So here's the run-around! :)
  • Locate the Z390 Designare golden build thread
  • Go to top of Post 1
  • Find spoiler labeled Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides
  • Open the spoiler
  • Look at Section 8

After a number of additional tests with GC-Maple Ridge on Gigabyte Z690 Aero G:
  • After waking from sleep, the two Thunderbolt kexts, IOThunderboltFamily and AppleThunderboltNHI, do not resume. Hence, the com.TBSleep.workaround.plist does in fact work to re-enable these kexts after wake-from-sleep.
  • Unfortunately, the GC-Maple Ridge controller remains unresponsive.
Experiment:
  • Use the attached simple SSDT SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml.
  • Disable the _PTS to XPTS ACPI patch if enabled.
  • Disconnect all Thunderbolt devices.
  • Shutdown computer and flip power switch on PSU to off.
  • Wait 10 seconds (cold start).
  • Power up the system.
  • Open IORegistryExplorer and scroll to RP05.
  • Now hot plug OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock (14-port version) to the Thunderbolt port closest to the full-size DisplayPort connector on the GC-Maple Ridge card.
  • Hot plug works!
  • Do not sleep the system.
  • Reboot (warm boot).
  • Disconnect and reconnect the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock.
  • Hot plug still works on the same port.
  • Sleep and wake the system.
  • Thunderbolt controller is kaput.

Conclusion:
  • At this time, the only viable solution for Thunderbolt on this system is a flashed GC-Titan Ridge card.
  • Also connect the USB 2 header on the card to an available USB 2 header on motherboard.
  • And of course connect the 5-pin (not 3-pin) Thunderbolt header to motherboard.
I ran the Experiment several times w/o success. Then I realized I had a OWC 13 port dock instead of a 14 port dock. So, I switched to the OWC 14 port dock. I observed two things:
  • The 14 port dock hot plugged OK as it appeared in IORegistryExplorer at the RP05 locations, and
  • The external TB3 drive did not show up on the Desktop, but the USB stick, which was plugged into the dock, did appear on the Desktop.
So, now how do we get the TB external drive to show up?

I ran the Experiment several times w/o success. Then I realized I had a OWC 13 port dock instead of a 14 port dock. So, I switched to the OWC 14 port dock. I observed two things:
  • The 14 port dock hot plugged OK as it appeared in IORegistryExplorer at the RP05 locations, and
  • The external TB3 drive did not show up on the Desktop, but the USB stick, which was plugged into the dock, did appear on the Desktop.
So, now how do we get the TB external drive to show up?
Has this particular TB external drive worked with a previous Hackintosh? If so, did that Hackintosh have a flashed Thunderbolt controller or unmodified Thunderbolt controller?

Have you tried disconnecting the OWC dock and connecting the TB external drive to the same port as the dock was connected to?

By the way, does the OWC 13-port dock connect? My suspicion is that it contains an older generation Alpine Ridge controller that is not compatible with Maple Ridge. Perhaps the TB external drive also uses an older generation Alpine Ridge controller, in which case it may not be compatible.

Thunderbolt controllers operate in two modes:
  • Host Mode
    • This is for motherboards and Thunderbolt add-in-cards
  • Device Mode
    • This is for Thunderbolt devices that plug into the computer
So all Thunderbolt devices that we connect to our computer contain a built-in Thunderbolt chip. If that chip is Alpine Ridge JHL6240 or older, then the device will most likely not connect to a Maple Ridge host system.

Has this particular TB external drive worked with a previous Hackintosh? If so, did that Hackintosh have a flashed Thunderbolt controller or unmodified Thunderbolt controller?
Yes, it was on my Z490 build. Yes, the Z490 build had a flashed Titan Ridge card/controller. This Z690 build has a Maple Ridge card. (I do have a spare flashed Titan Ridge card but I want to see if I can get the Maple Ridge card working.

Have you tried disconnecting the OWC dock and connecting the TB external drive to the same port as the dock was connected to?
Yes, just now. It didn't hot plug. I'll reboot in a minute to see if appears on the Desktop.

By the way, does the OWC 13-port dock connect? My suspicion is that it contains an older generation Alpine Ridge controller that is not compatible with Maple Ridge. Perhaps the TB external drive also uses an older generation Alpine Ridge controller, in which case it may not be compatible.
The 13 port OWC dock worked fine, just like the 14 port dock with respect to (re)boot (external drives appear on the Decktop) and hot plug not working.

Thunderbolt controllers operate in two modes:
  • Host Mode
    • This is for motherboards and Thunderbolt add-in-cards
  • Device Mode
    • This is for Thunderbolt devices that plug into the computer
So all Thunderbolt devices that we connect to our computer contain a built-in Thunderbolt chip. If that chip is Alpine Ridge JHL6240 or older, then the device will most likely not connect to a Maple Ridge host system.

OK. I'll have to do some research to figure out what TB chips the OWC docks and the OWC external TB M.2 SSD drive enclosure have.

I'll report back shortly.

OK. I'll have to do some research to figure out what TB chips the OWC docks and the OWC external TB M.2 SSD drive enclosure have.

@Stork,

Does the OWC external TB M.2 SSD drive connect to a un-flashed Titan Ridge controller (if you have a system with one)?

@Stork,

Does the OWC external TB M.2 SSD drive connect to a un-flashed Titan Ridge controller (if you have a system with one)?
I don't have an un-flashed Titan Ridge card. So, I can't help you there.

I did a cold reboot. The TB3 external drive mounted on the desktop w/o the OWC TB3 dock plugged in.

I'm now going to try to find out the OWC TB3 external M.2 SSD drive enclosure's TB chipset. Stand by.

I'm now going to try to find out the OWC TB3 external M.2 SSD drive enclosure's TB chipset. Stand by.
The OWC TB3 external M.2 SSD enclosure's model name is Envoy Express, and its chipset is Alpine Ridge. That chipset information I couldn't get from OWC's website. I got it from this site:
I did read on chip in the enclose with a magnifying glass that had JHL 6240 on it. Dunno if that means anything WRT a Thunderbolt chipset.

As for the OWC TB3 dock's TB controller, from searching for an hour, I believe it has a Titan Ridge controller since it has a USB-c port. The Alpine Ridge controller doesn't support USB-c.

Back