Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but lately every time I cold boot into macOS, I'll get a crash just as it's about to finish booting, and then an automatic reboot. I can't tell when it started, but maybe when I updated to OC 0.9.0 within the past two or three weeks. Just updated to Ventura 13.3 yesterday without issue, but I don't think that's related.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but lately every time I cold boot into macOS, I'll get a crash just as it's about to finish booting, and then an automatic reboot. I can't tell when it started, but maybe when I updated to OC 0.9.0 within the past two or three weeks. Just updated to Ventura 13.3 yesterday without issue, but I don't think that's related.
Some suggestions:
  • Always good to try these general purpose remedies (these are like aspirin or tylenol):
    • Reset NVRAM
    • CMOS Reset (which requires configuring BIOS parameters again)
  • OpenCore most likely has nothing to do with this, but we can always go back to previous version of OpenCore
    • If HackinDROM App was used, it will have created a ZIP backup of previous version
Regarding macOS 13.3:
  • Are you encountering WiFi and/or Ethernet connection problems?
  • How much memory does your system have?

** macOS 13.3 WiFi / Ethernet Patch Discovered **
Alas it was not necessary to wait for 13.3 source code
Also posted to GitHub

Problem:
On some systems such as Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D, WiFi and Ethernet stopped working with macOS Ventura 13.3. This problem affects all motherboards whose native DMA remap table (DMAR) contains one or more Reserved Memory Regions. Further, this problem occurs only when AppleVTD is enabled and more than 16GB memory is installed.

Solution:
  • You may re-enable AppleVTD if you disabled it
  • Apply the following patch to config.plist -> Kernel -> patch
Patch Details:
  • Identifier: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
  • Base: __ZN11IOPCIBridge20addBridgeMemoryRangeEyyb
  • Comment: CaseySJ - Fix AppleVTD issue in 13.3+
  • Find: 4C89F6E8 9AFF0000
  • Replace: 4C89F690 90909090
  • MinKernel: 22.4.0
  • Count: 1
  • Enabled: True
Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.39.08 PM.png

After applying this patch everything is back to normal:

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.27.23 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.28.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Alas it was not necessary to wait for 13.3 source code​

Problem:
On some systems such as Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D, WiFi and Ethernet stopped working with macOS Ventura 13.3. This problem affects all motherboards whose native DMA remap table (DMAR) contains one or more Reserved Memory Regions. Further, this problem occurs only when AppleVTD is enabled and more than 16GB memory is installed.

Solution:
Patch Details:
View attachment 565342

View attachment 565340 View attachment 565341
Amazing work! Working perfect once again

Not too sure how you discovered how to fix this as it is way over my head but well done and thank you for your contribution! Airdrop has to be my favorite feature with Mac and losing that was an awful experience.

Thank you CaseySJ

Alas it was not necessary to wait for 13.3 source code​

Problem:

Solution:
Patch Details:
View attachment 565342

It s working here after the patch. Congrats. Thank You!

Some suggestions:
  • Always good to try these general purposeremedies (these are like aspirin or tylenol):
    • Reset NVRAM
    • CMOS Reset (which requires configuring BIOS parameters again)
  • OpenCore most likely has nothing to do with this, but we can always go back to previous version of OpenCore
    • If HackinDROM App was used, it will have created a ZIP backup of previous version
Regarding macOS 13.3:
  • Are you encountering WiFi and/or Ethernet connection problems?
  • How much memory does your system have?
Just reset the NVRAM, and tried a cold boot without issue (may be a fluke though). Will continue to monitor.

I actually haven't had any issues with WiFi or Ethernet after upgrading. I was holding off since people were having issues, but then I decided to give it a shot. I'm using the same Fenvi card as you, which has always been rock solid and a TP Link 10GbE card (however, I did test the 2.5GbE port and that also worked fine).

I have 4x16GB 3600MHz sticks running at 3200 (because XMP hates this configuration ever since I upgraded to an i9-11900K).

I actually haven't had any issues with WiFi or Ethernet after upgrading. I was holding off since people were having issues, but then I decided to give it a shot. …
Is AppleVTD enabled?

Alas it was not necessary to wait for 13.3 source code
Also posted to GitHub

Solution:

@CaseySJ,

Great work buddy .... :) .... your patch is also confirmed working on GB Z490 Vision G.
i225 Ethernet and Broadcom WiFi Now working again with 64GB RAM.

Would be interested in understanding what the offending code snippet in com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily was.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back