Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

After upgrade to Ventura 13.0.1, I got error by OpenCore 0.8.6:

opencore 0newUserClient: invalid userClient Type request

is there a way to fix it?
Can you post a screenshot or photo?

Brilliant - That worked perfectly.
Many Thanks CasySJ
Unfortunately the next day apps take minutes to open (EtreCheck Pro refused open) and actions are slow. Maybe the jump from Open Core 0.73 to OC 0.86 via HackinDROM along with Monterey was too much.

Have gone back to Big Sur to lick my wounds and contemplate my next step. Perhaps I should leave all this tinkering to you youngsters, when I started with computers 50+ years ago it was so simple...

Thanks CasySJ - your instructions and prebuilt EFIs enabling me to build this Hack has been fantastic, as is this community.

Has anyone had issue with Ventura and Airplay? Just tried it for the first time since upgrading, and I can't tell if it's a bug with Ventura or something to do with my system. (I haven't upgraded any of my other real Macs beyond Monterey yet to test.) It works for about 1.5 seconds before cutting out. I've tried force quitting with Terminal, which brings it back, but reliably fails afterwards.

@CaseySJ has anyone here try a build on a Z790? Saw a couple of posts of other forums with a good success rate. Some said that because the Z790 and the Z690 are very similar they had no issue. Tempted to upgrade my Z490 to Z790.

There have been a few reports of Z790 successes here as well.
If you're not afraid of setting up a new system (USB mapping and so on…), absolutely want to upgrade a Z490 system which does not look quite obsolete yet, and do not want to go for a Mac Studio despite the clear sign on the wall for macOS on x86 (the elephant in the room!), then go ahead with Z790.

@CaseySJ has anyone here try a build on a Z790? Saw a couple of posts of other forums with a good success rate. Some said that because the Z790 and the Z690 are very similar they had no issue. Tempted to upgrade my Z490 to Z790.
From what I read, there's two reasons not to get the Z790 instead of the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G. First, the 13th gen Raper Lake processors do not have much speed advantage over the 12th gen processor. Second, cost; the Z690 Aero G and a 12th generation processor can be purchased at less cost, and you can use DDR4 instead DDR5 RAM which is more expensive.

I have the same setup as @CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z690 Aero G system. It's fast and "just works!"

However, you didn't say for what you use your system. If it's the latest games, then the Z790 system will give you the best interaction. I don't game so my Z690 system is great for my use.

BTW, I just found this user's post:

From what I read, there's two reasons not to get the Z790 instead of the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G. First, the 13th gen Raper Lake processors do not have much speed advantage over the 12th gen processor. Second, cost; the Z690 Aero G and a 12th generation processor can be purchased at less cost, and you can use DDR4 instead DDR5 RAM which is more expensive.

I have the same setup as @CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z690 Aero G system. It's fast and "just works!"

However, you didn't say for what you use your system. If it's the latest games, then the Z790 system will give you the best interaction. I don't game so my Z690 system is great for my use.

BTW, I just found this user's post:

Not for gaming at all. Mainly using it with Lightroom and photos editing. The Z490 is perfectly fine, nothing wrong it. Just that I like new challenges and updating my HW every couple of years. :) I know that the lifespan of any hackintosh now is pretty limited and was looking at getting a Mac Studio; however, even the basic config with a decent amount of memory and storage costs a fortune in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not for gaming at all. Mainly using it with Lightroom and photos editing. The Z490 is perfectly fine, nothing wrong it. Just that I like new challenges and updating my HW every couple of years. I know that the lifespan of any hackintosh now is pretty limited and was looking at getting a Mac Studio; however, even the basic config with a decent amount of memory and storage costs a fortune in Australia.
Understand. I'll be skipping the 13th generation systems as my Z690 system works so well. I also have an entry level Mac Studio which I also use for my audio work.

Back